Mazda still in the diesel game?

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
So Mazda is reaping the benefits of VW's dieselgate as well. This would refer to assumed extra stringent requirements and oversight during the certification process for any diesel engine. I'll bet getting a diesel engine certified by the EPA these days is similar in fun factor to trying to get the FAA to certify a new engine for flight.

So the question will become two-fold:
1) Will Mazda continue to feed the alligators until the engine is finally certified?
2) At that point, will the engine be so buggered with extra emissions crap that there are no real advantages to a diesel engine compared to a gasoline fired one?

And the question out of left field: Will the manic push for electric powered vehicles make it difficult for any ICE in the future?

And the final question that isn't even in the ball park: Will someone come by and eat the rest of my halloween candy that kids didn't come get?

Cheers,

PH

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
https://blog.caranddriver.com/whats-happening-with-the-mazda-cx-5-diesel/

The "extra emissions crap" will be more or less the same as what VW has on the 2015 TDI models, which is more or less the same as what GM has on theirs ... the general picture is EGR, DOC, DPF and SCR as one housing, and of course the AdBlue dosing system.

Whether that complexity means "no real advantages" remains to be seen and it could easily be different from one person to another. Personally I've gone back to spark ignition, non turbo, port injected gasoline engines, although modern designs with VVT. Less stuff to go wrong and what typically goes wrong is less expensive to fix.

Certainly with Skyactiv-X on the horizon (gasoline fueled, quasi-compression-ignition, quasi-HCCI) which requires much simpler emission controls (basically 3 way catalyst same as gasoline engine) I don't quite follow why Mazda is bothering with the diesel engine since Skyactiv-X is +/- the same efficiency and is mechanically less complex.

I do foresee attempts being made to legislate internal combustion engine vehicles out of existence ... the first hints of those attempts are already starting. Whether those attempts will be successful, is too early to call. I do hope that the auto industry as a whole produces enough "better" EVs and sufficient charging infrastructure that there is a natural shift to EV because they are perceived as "better", as opposed to having them rammed prematurely down our throats.

gopher

I just visited a local Mazda dealership in Tallahassee Fl. and was advised that now Mazda has pushed back the diesel introduction to May, 2018. I doubt if Mazda will ever sell a diesel in the U.S.

weebl

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf (BEW)
I had heard rumours of mid 2018 when I was shopping for my TDI replacement, so the CX5 was very quickly crossed off my list, as in gasoline form, there wasn't enough about that vehicle to attract me to it.

boertje

Veteran Member
TDI
'01, '01, '03, ‘06 NB - TDIs all.
I used to have a Mazda diesel. It was a 1985 626 2.0D. Nothing but trouble with cracking heads. Of course that was yesteryear.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Per your request:

The 2.0L and 2.5L SKYACTIV-G engines powering the 2018 Mazda CX-5 have both received updates to reduce internal friction, thus increasing low-end torque and also fuel economy. Speaking of which, the bigger mill even adds segment-exclusive cylinder deactivation—a first on a 4-cylinder engine in North America—shutting down the two outside cylinders at cruising speeds to maximize efficiency. In fact, Mazda claims the system can reduce fuel consumption by approximately 20% when driving at a constant 40 km/h, and by approximately 5% at a constant 80 km/h.

Alas, the brand new SKYACTIV-D diesel engine we were promised a year ago is still nowhere to be found. We contacted the folks at Mazda Canada and they said the results from EPA and CARB emission testing should come by the end of the year, so the company is hopeful to make an official announcement at that time.