11th Annual Detroit Auto Show GTG - NAIAS 2018 - January 20 (aka WINTERFEST)

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I have been in a couple that used to be here. The Explorer plant in Hazelwood (gone), and the minivan/ram plant in Fenton (gone). Kinda funny and sad at the same time. The G-van plant (also builds the new Colorado/Canyon) in Wentzville is still here, not been to that one.

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
I have been in a couple that used to be here. The Explorer plant in Hazelwood (gone), and the minivan/ram plant in Fenton (gone). Kinda funny and sad at the same time. The G-van plant (also builds the new Colorado/Canyon) in Wentzville is still here, not been to that one.
Fenton was Chrysler - I understand they had two plants side by side and both were razed in 2011. There was talk of the St. Louis Rams building a new football stadium on the site before the team decided to move to Los Angeles.

As for choosing between the Henry Ford Museum or the Rouge Tour - the Rouge Tour starts/finishes at the Henry Ford Museum. Means people have the option of choosing at the last minute which one they want to do so some of us can do the Rouge and others the Henry Ford. Would only need to agree on a time those on the Rouge Tour are to be back at the museum so we can move on to pizza. I do understand Lawson wanting to know what people prefer and hopefully having all of us stick together.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Fenton was Chrysler - I understand they had two plants side by side and both were razed in 2011. There was talk of the St. Louis Rams building a new football stadium on the site before the team decided to move to Los Angeles.
As for choosing between the Henry Ford Museum or the Rouge Tour - the Rouge Tour starts/finishes at the Henry Ford Museum. Means people have the option of choosing at the last minute which one they want to do so some of us can do the Rouge and others the Henry Ford. Would only need to agree on a time those on the Rouge Tour are to be back at the museum so we can move on to pizza. I do understand Lawson wanting to know what people prefer and hopefully having all of us stick together.
That sounds like a plan - we can go to the Ford complex and people can do whatever they decide they want to do. We typically do pizza before these activities since people are hungry after the auto show. If the tour starts at 3pm, that might be cutting it a little close.

Jetter_Sprinta

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
2 Peeps sharing 1 UseYerName//an array of cars
Yayyy!! I suppose suggesting the Detroit Institute of Art would be asking too much! :p The Henry Ford Museum has been on my list for years, actually decades.

My last auto assembly tour was Wolfsburg, so I'm very happy to stick with the museum.

deegingerkid

Beware the Ginger! Vendor
TDI
"Blurple" 2000 New Beetle 5M 2006 Jetta has been SOLD
Oh hey guys. I never check in here anymore and had to request a password reset. I'm terrible.

Anywho, just got paid again on the 15th, and working lots of overtime at my temp job. Looks like I'll be able to afford a couple nights at the hotel and we'll be buying flight tickets really soon. Deegingerkid and Matt98-AHU...
The California kids are comin in. :cool::cool: Are y'all ready to party?

Last non-West Coast TDIer we saw was BKmetz when he came around our way over the summer. Been busier than **** lately. Too many projects and too little time.

Look forward to relaxing and not having hockey kids!!!! Hot tub time. Miss you all. Hey Sprockette, I see you out there <3

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Oh hey guys. I never check in here anymore and had to request a password reset. I'm terrible.
Anywho, just got paid again on the 15th, and working lots of overtime at my temp job. Looks like I'll be able to afford a couple nights at the hotel and we'll be buying flight tickets really soon. Deegingerkid and Matt98-AHU...
The California kids are comin in. :cool::cool: Are y'all ready to party?
Last non-West Coast TDIer we saw was BKmetz when he came around our way over the summer. Been busier than **** lately. Too many projects and too little time.
Look forward to relaxing and not having hockey kids!!!! Hot tub time. Miss you all. Hey Sprockette, I see you out there <3
Hell yes yes yes!!

I'm glad things are going well for you and that you're able to splurge on a vacation to hang out with us! :D

MonsterDog

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
So far so good. It looks like work is cooperating. I should be able to attend this year. Please add me to the list.

Hopefully Tom allows me share his room, otherwise I guess I need a roomie..:D

VeeDubTDI

TDI
So far so good. It looks like work is cooperating. I should be able to attend this year. Please add me to the list.

Hopefully Tom allows me share his room, otherwise I guess I need a roomie..:D
Hooray! Looking forward to seeing you again. :)

If Tom won't share (;)), there are a couple of rooms still available.

Any unsold rooms get released back to general reservations tomorrow.

that tdi guy

TDI
2006 Jetta 1.9l BRM
I wish I could go, but I really don't want to drop almost 300 bucks on a room, cause I'm broke as hell. Hoping there is a TDI Fest this year, and hoping it's close to me!

VeeDubTDI

TDI
I wish I could go, but I really don't want to drop almost 300 bucks on a room, cause I'm broke as hell. Hoping there is a TDI Fest this year, and hoping it's close to me!
There might be someone willing to split a room with you. There are also some less expensive hotels in town. Be sure to check online reviews before booking, as a few of them are pretty sketchy (the Days Inn on Carpenter Road is pretty nasty).

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
I was willing to share my room (posted here about that on Dec. 1st in this thread) but the deadline for making/changing the reservation at the group discount has passed (it was Dec. 19, 2017) so if I made a change to it now to accommodate a roommate it will cost me more out of pocket now. Sorry I can't help you split the cost now and hope you have luck finding a suitable quality budget friendly hotel in the area.

As for a TDI Fest very unlikely one will happen in 2018 way it looks now. For a while there looked like Texas might have hosted a Fest but that is now off the table. There is a separate section/thread here about 2018 Fest possibilities. Check it out for the details.

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
I was willing to share my room (posted here about that on Dec. 1st in this thread) but the deadline for making/changing the reservation at the group discount has passed (it was Dec. 19, 2017) so if I made a change to it now to accommodate a roommate it will cost me more out of pocket now. Sorry I can't help you split the cost now and hope you have luck finding a suitable quality budget friendly hotel in the area.
As for a TDI Fest very unlikely one will happen in 2018 way it looks now. For a while there looked like Texas might have hosted a Fest but that is now off the table. There is a separate section/thread here about 2018 Fest possibilities. Check it out for the details.
Did you call? I doubt it since you have the room reserved and only adding another person. NEVER met a hotel that wouldn't accommodate a guest withing reason.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
You should be able to modify your reservation without penalty.

BeetleGo

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.
Please do, and I’ll take it. There are no more rooms available! 251, you up for a roommate still?

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
Please do, and I’ll take it. There are no more rooms available! 251, you up for a roommate still?
I'll get on this tonight to see about modifying my reservation as I would be glad to share my room with you. (Never heard back from that other guy.) We've met before as I rode with you in your Beetle from the Lake Mills, WI Fest and across Lake Michigan on the SS Badger to Ludington, MI. That was a number of years ago! Will shoot you a PM this evening.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
I love it when a plan comes together. :)

Although just so you guys know, while our room block is now closed, the hotel still has regular bookings available for that weekend.

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Important update

I have updated the event schedule for Saturday, January 20th...

Saturday, January 20th:

7:00am - 8:00am: Breakfast @ The Bomber
9:00am - 1:00pm: Meet @ Cobo Center lobby & auto show
1:30pm - 2:30pm: Lunch at Buddy's Pizza
2:45pm - 5:30pm: The Henry Ford. The two options are The Henry Ford Museum and The River Rouge Ford Factory Tour
6:30pm - midnight: Hang out at hotel, dinner, Cards Against Humanity, whatever!

I recommend that everyone purchase tickets for either the museum or the factory tour now. I don't know how many are available, so the sooner you get your ticket, the better. We will be doing the 3pm tour, which is the last one of the day. I didn't see a place to specify a time when buying my tickets, so I suppose you just show up whenever.

https://www.thehenryford.org/visit/ford-rouge-factory-tour/tickets-and-hours/

Lunch will be at the Buddy's Pizza in Dearborn, MI, which is right around the corner from the Ford complex.

Buddy's Pizza
22148 Michigan Ave.
Dearborn, MI 48124

Last edited:

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
Watching the Weather Channel this afternoon.....They stated a warming trend in the Midwest was coming in in the next 10-15 days....sure hope so!

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
BeetleGo - successfully modified my reservation so you are officially my roommate now. Just sent you a PM with details about same so the plan has come together!

Tomo - been cold here (NW Indiana / SW Michigan) with snow almost every day since Christmas. Sure can use a break from the snow which I hope coincides with this GTG.