Frost heater ?

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
Terry mentioned it's quite complicated because of the several coolant routes that are in the system.

Possible to share any directions?

Sent from my One using Tapatalk
The directions state that they are copyrighted and cannot be duplicated or shared.

The routing is not complicated. Pinch two hose locations on top of the engine and one underneath. Pull off hose and cut off elbow. Connect one Frostheater hose to the hose you cut and the other Frostheater hose to where you pulled off the factory hose. The quarters are maybe a little tighter than in other models, and it really helps to have a cable operated spring clamp tool. You will drip coolant when you remove the factory hose, as it is a vertical fitting that you pull down from. They give you a cap to quickly throw over that fitting, so your leak will be directly proportional to how fast you can throw that cap on.

Last edited:

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
Photos? I'm curious which hoses are cut into on the vehicle.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
Photos? I'm curious which hoses are cut into on the vehicle.

I didn't take pictures, but if you have done an oil change, it's the passenger side hose of the two hoses that run up to the engine directly behind the oil filter.

Grigg3

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta wagon, 15 Golf wagon
If you have the kit from Terry you have the instructions with pictures.
Basically plug the new hoses/heater in an existing coolant loop. Same idea for most all models.

I would next time and did this time do things slightly different than instructed, I think easier.
Remove heat shrink from a hose before removing and cutting it, not after.
Also after bolting heater in place and planning hose placement unbolt heater to make more slack to connect hoses, finally bolt heater back to bracket.

Finished installing mine, have added coolant a couple times as it burps air out.
Haven’t tried it yet.

Grigg3

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta wagon, 15 Golf wagon
Plugged it in for 45 minuets before work today, 25*F.
No heat registered on the gauge initially after starting but 3 miles down the road we had heat, warmed up quicker than without.
Tonight I’ll set it on a timer for a couple hours before work.

The 05 I’d usually set for 3 hours prior to departure if outside or 2 hours if in the garage. That would make plenty of heat right out the driveway.

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
I tied mine in between engine oil cooler and block. Hosed it and located it so it's splitting the difference elevation wise.

After 1hr nice heat, gets hot enough to thermal trip itself to continue regulating.

clacker

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Wagon TDI DSG Trendline, 2000 Jetta TDI auto, 2008 Mercedes R320, 2006 smart fortwo cdi
The factory block heater on Canadian models is not really that great, probably 250-300 watts. It makes a difference, but does not heat up the coolant nearly as much as a tank style heater. My mk4 has a 1500 watt one, it starts at operating temp and then cools off a bit after 2 hours of warming. That is luxury...
I will be installing either an Espar diesel fired unit or 1500 watt tank heater on our mk7, just took delivery of it this month and have to figure things out and find a warm shop to work on it. Plugging in to me is essential, I hate torturing my diesels.