Looking for Touareg TDi V10 changes from 2006-2008

fuforums

TDI
2004 New Beetle GLS TDI DSG, 2006 Touareg V10 Tdi
I am getting close to buying a Touareg TDI v10 soon and am wondering if anyone know what the changes are from 2006-2008 and which would be the best year to buy. I know that the warranty would last longer obviously on a newer vehicle but don't want to buy something that i'm stuck with that I can't upgrade or change. Are there any differences at all? Thanks.

fuforums

TDI
I have a fat wallet, a heavy foot, and a need for comfort and luxury. Just need some more info.

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2005 TDI GLS, RIP
If you are looking for one, make sure it has a reasonable service history. These cars of course have twin turbos and the proper synthetic oil is an absolute must. If I recall I remember most of the V10 TDI Touraregs listed in the 69-71k range. They were known to be harder on tires, probably due to the super torque that the V10 can provide. Above all else avoid any of these that have been converted to a grease car.

fuforums

TDI
leicaman said:
If you are looking for one, make sure it has a reasonable service history. These cars of course have twin turbos and the proper synthetic oil is an absolute must. If I recall I remember most of the V10 TDI Touraregs listed in the 69-71k range. They were known to be harder on tires, probably due to the super torque that the V10 can provide. Above all else avoid any of these that have been converted to a grease car.
Yeah, treat them like any VW should and they should be fine. I'd never buy a grease car anyways and I don't like buying cars that have been messed with at all. Usually, people that can afford a $70,000 vehicle will get all service done and most I have seen so far have been like new condition inside and out. I just wanted to make sure there weren't any major changes from one year to the next that would make me kick myself after buying the earlier model.

sennister

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta TDI Sedan
I have read that they are hard on turbos. The problem with pulling the turbos is that it means the engine has to come out. :eek:

Don't know if any changes were made between the years to rectify this.

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
Make sure the glow plugs have been change to steel. I don't know if there was a recall or change on new modles. I member talk about how ceramic glow pluges destroy a v10 engine. The new engine was 30G it was under warranty just somthing to look in to.

DesertV10

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 V10
Here are the differences, the drivetrains are the same, the 2006 models (there were no 2005 V10s) all came loaded with the same options, about the only one that was really an option was the locking rear differential (which some people had some trouble with). In 2007, there were more differences in the delivered vehicles. There were very few 2008 V10s compared to the other years (I never saw one) and I don't know how they were configured. I had a 2006 for three years and never had any problems with it, it was a great vehicle.

fuforums

TDI
The new ones cost too much for one. They got rid of the air suspension on them for two. Plus, who wants a v6? V10 is awesome! 310hp 550 ft lbs torque! Why not?

Medic92

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A3
fuforums said:
The new ones cost too much for one. They got rid of the air suspension on them for two. Plus, who wants a v6? V10 is awesome! 310hp 550 ft lbs torque! Why not?
For 2010 the air suspension is only available on the V6 TDI. You may still be able to order one.

firedwg1

Veteran Member
TDI
10 GSW, 12 Pass SEL, Tesla MS
I have a 2007 V10 TDI, I guess I can take photos for you. The 06-07 V10 TDI came standard with the options that the T2 has after 2008. I really like my V10. MPG is around 23 hwy and 18 in the city.

the 2006-7 years do not have bluetooth option or Sat- Radio, (been there done that) But dont let that stop you from buying. That is the only difference.

If you are thinking of buying new you can get the V6 TDI but good luck in getting a deal on them. Dealers think they are made of gold. Also from what I understand the V6 and V10 TDI get the same MPG.

stay away from TPS on the wheels... they are subject to failure

The V10 has major power when you step on it! get the V10 IMHO

Good luck

BTW I am new here and I will be selling my 2003 Jetta TDI could someone direct me where in the forums I can post it for sale? and if you know anyone looking for a commuter car which has new engine and everything direct them to me.

Last edited:

Neous

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Audi Q7
firedwg1 said:
If you are thinking of buying new you can get the V6 TDI but good luck in getting a deal on them. Dealers think they are made of gold. Also from what I understand the V6 and V10 TDI get the same MPG.
I have the new V6 TDI and I got at 1800 below Invoice NOT below MSRP

nicewayne01

TDI
2006 Jetta
Hi every body!! I'm a new guy here!!
I read through all the report, but I had a question !!
Which is why you guys do not like Bio-disel?
It has any problem use in Touareg?, I have few friends they use them in Jetta, and F-250 and F-450, it seems good!!, is there any problem in Touareg??
Please let me know!!
Thank you you all!!

Wobisobi

Veteran Member
TDI
Missing my Audi Q7 3.0 TDI
Neous said:
I have the new V6 TDI and I got at 1800 below Invoice NOT below MSRP
I'd like to see the paperwork on that. Would be cool to see and might encourage me to hold out on the dealer a little longer next time:)

Yeti35

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Touareg V6 TDI
Wobisobi said:
I'd like to see the paperwork on that. Would be cool to see and might encourage me to hold out on the dealer a little longer next time:)
I got mine below invoice as well. Mine is coming with Lux, Tech, Air and hitch.

tomdarcy

TDI
2008 T2 V10
Back to the original question, i believe the differences from 2006 to 2007 are very subtle. The push button start option was not available on the 06 but is available on the 07. The changes to 2008, while still subtle, are extensive since this is when the model got the upgrade to the T2. Something like 2000 new parts along with some cosmetic changes. I was fortunate enough to find one that was a VW factory driven vehicle but they are pretty few and far between in the used market these days.

deming

Veteran Member
TDI
(2) 2005 TDI Passat Wagons
fuforums said:
Yeah, treat them like any VW should and they should be fine. I'd never buy a grease car anyways and I don't like buying cars that have been messed with at all. Usually, people that can afford a $70,000 vehicle will get all service done and most I have seen so far have been like new condition inside and out.
Most of the V10 TDI Touareg's were leased and the stealerships did the routine service work. Most VW dealers are pretty clueless with the TDI's.
2007's should be coming off 3 year leases around now.
V10 motor is the only way to go!!! The new V6 is a joke.

Find a clean one with all or most of the service records and make certain it has been serviced using the 505.01 synthetic motor oil.
Buy a good reputable extended warranty to cover the repairs when they pop up. They are very cashy to fix and the air ride suspension is real expensive item to repair.

Make sure whatever V10 Touareg you find was not a repurchase / lemon law buyback. Many of them were bought back and had some electrical gremlins. A Carfax report and the NICB report will be beneficial to you.

They are awesome to drive and they have tons of torque.
They eat tires and brakes alive so do not whine and cry when you need tires and brakes every 15,000-20,000 miles. Nokian WR tires work well.

Yeti35

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Touareg V6 TDI
deming said:
V10 motor is the only way to go!!! The new V6 is a joke.
Why do you feel the V6 is a joke? I have driven every iteration of Treg here in NA and feel the V6 TDI is more then adequate for the Treg and I feel it is more balanced with this motor then the heavy V10. It moves really well imo and I live at altitude. So not sure what you are basing your comment on.

Last edited:

clint440

TDI
09 Jetta 6spd
I just bought a 2006 V10, CPO warranty this past December.

NO ISSUES at all. I have driven half way across the country and back. I have no tire wear or break wear. If you run sticky tires meant for a car and power brake it then maybe that misconception is true.

Well unless you rupture an airbag it isn't going to wear out like steel suspension.

Well everything is expensive now adays so I don't think it is any worse than anything else out there, it's all relative.

dcharnet

TDI
I agree with you, Yeti. The V-6 TDI is a remarkable vehicle. "Only buy the V-10" is an absurd comment.

deming

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeti35 said:
Why do you feel the V6 is a joke? I have driven every iteration of Treg here in NA and feel the V6 TDI is more thenadequate for the Treg and I feel it is more balanced with this motor then the heavy V10. It moves really well imo and I live at altitude. So not sure what you are basing your comment on.
The V10 TDI Motor has all internal gear driven parts. Good Motor !!

The V6 TDI has the chain driven oil pump and chain balancer shaft(s) and are very similiar to the 04/05 Passat BHW TDI motor.
Most of us with Passats are spending big $$ out of pocket to upgrade to the gear drive bal shaft, because the chain driven system is breaking and coming apart. VW has denied the whole issue in North America and will not assist in any of the repairs.

Who in ther heck do you think makes the upgrade Gear parts? You got it VW and they are VW part numbers. This has been a problem in Europe too. The V6 TDI Touareg motor is a chain driven balancer shaft or shall we say multiple chains with multiple tensioners. A "time bomb" -- motor in my .02 and much more complex than the Passat BHW engine.

DO NOT hope or rely on the VW warranty to cover you! I do not believe it will be a good solid motor long term. If you only plan to drive to 60,000 miles and then trade or sell your V6 TDI Touareg car; then go for it.

Here is a better explanation of the Passat issue--

As we learned from bad experiences, the BHW engine was equipped at the factory with a chain driven balance shaft module. Chains and tensioner’s break, teeth strip off the sprockets, and nasty things happen to the BHW 2.0 Passat TDI engine 2004/2005 model years.

VW obviously learned of this prone-to-failure design. Every engine they have with this design outside of North America got gear-driven balance shaft module replacements (not recalled, just replacement in the parts catalog and system). Finally they made one for the North American market BHW engine.

They issued a technical document (Not a Technical Bulletin) to notify dealership shops of the replacement. However, they have not (as of this writing) actually made the information available via e-Bahn (the site they point to for everyone else to get repair info). The VW technical document merely states to refer to the repair manual for installation instructions.

In my opinion--- The V10 is the only TDI Touareg I would consider buying and keeping for long term. Everything I have read looks good for this motor and everything is heavy duty with the internal motor components. Too bad they still do not make a V10 TDI Touareg that is affordable.

Last edited:

Yeti35

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Touareg V6 TDI
deming said:
In my opinion--- The V10 is the only TDI Touareg I would consider buying and keeping for long term. Everything I have read looks good for this motor and everything is heavy duty with the internal motor components. Too bad they still do not make a V10 TDI Touareg that is affordable.
Too bad you need to drop the motor on it just to replace turbos. That alone would scare me with that vehical since it seems to want to eat them. I have read many post on that issue alone.

whizznbyu

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen 6 speed manual. B5 died at 302k miles.
I've been told the 3.0 V6 on the Treg is the same V6 in the Audi Q7 TDi. If that is the case, I suppose I'm screwed.

Yeti35

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Touareg V6 TDI
whizznbyu said:
I've been told the 3.0 V6 on the Treg is the same V6 in the Audi Q7 TDi. If that is the case, I suppose I'm screwed.
Yes, it is the same motor. I would not even worry about it since I have not seen any of the ROW people complain about this motor yet. I think we will be fine.

Last edited:

deming

Veteran Member
TDI
Guess time will tell for you with the V6 TDI.
Good luck!! Don't say you were not given fair warning.

Yeti35

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Touareg V6 TDI
deming said:
Guess time will tell for you with the V6 TDI.
Good luck!! Don't say you were not given fair warning.
There may not be much Touareg traffic here, but there is plenty of traffic on Club Touareg and this issue you mention has not ever been talked about there at all. The 3.0 TDI has been available ROW almost as long as the Touareg has been out and no one ever mentioned having a problem with it. So believe what you want and I will stick with my V6 TDI.

deming

Veteran Member
TDI
It is my understanding the TDI V6 Touareg Engine for North America is not the same engine that they have in Europe. It has only been available in the U.S / North American Continent for a short time.

Lets talk in about 4 years or 120,000 miles from now and we will see if you are still happy.

V10TDI

TDI
2008 VW TOUAREG V10
deming said:
It is my understanding the TDI V6 Touareg Engine for North America is not the same engine that they have in Europe. It has only been available in the U.S / North American Continent for a short time.

Lets talk in about 4 years or 120,000 miles from now and we will see if you are still happy.
Your comments are only inflammatory and not helping him. He can't exactly un-choose the vehicle he has. Along his apparent poorly chosen path (sarcasm) he will enjoy about 30 mpg along the way, a much nicer nav system, less tire wear, safe calling from the bluetooth, and in general spend $20,000 less than having bought a new v10.

So, it isn't exactly as simple as it may seem but you could try to be nicer about it.

Last edited: