15 Sportwagen TDI S - Trade in GTI or Keep?

vdubtc

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI S (Sold), 2017 GTI Sport Pure White
In July 2015 I bought a Golf Sportwagen TDI S DSG (Black) and would have to say it was the best vehicle I'd ever had...

When VW offered the buyback, it was too good of a deal to pass up considering the fact that I had put 50,000 miles on the TDI in 18 months. Other options were brought into consideration which include the fact that a rude individual keyed the entire length of the passenger side of the vehicle and I had a cracked windshield. That repair alone was over 3000 (chose not to fix the key marks), so I did the buyback and got a 2017 GTI Sport (Pure White). MSRP of 29.8K, I walked out the door paying 22.5k for a new gti with 13 miles on it. I thought this was a great deal. I love the options of the vehicle including the bi-xenon headlights, larger 18" wheels, 6M transmission and the entertainment.

While all these features are "cool" I miss how functional the sportwagen is with its larger cargo space, its fuel economy (44 Average in TDI, 29 Average in GTI [based off my driving style]) and dsg transmission. Fast forward to 6,000 miles on the GTI and I had to put a deposit on a 2015 Sportwagen S DSG (Platinum Grey Metallic w black interior).

I haven't completely decided yet because I know that I will miss all the features included in the Sport trim. Anyone in this similar situation? I am scheduled to do a trade on the GTI this week (am getting more on trade in than i paid for it..) and have cold feet.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Plan to take a bath on trade in, just like you someone can walk in and walk out with a brand new GTI for ~22K, I can't imagine trade or private party value of the GTI will be anything more than 18K. Also you will prob miss those bi-xenon head lights.

As for why you jumped into the GTI in the first place, 50K 18 mo is prime for TDI, should have just opted for the fix.

VWMark

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI 6M RIP, 2015 GSW SE TDI 6M, 2015 Q7 TDI
Well, I did something similar but not quiet the same. My 2010 Golf TDI was totaled last June and I ended up buying a new 2017 Mini Clubman 6MT. It's a nice car, but I never really loved it. So when the 2015 TDIs went back on sale I called 20+ dealers to find an SE Sportwagon in Platinum gray. I had to have a sunroof and heated seats, and decided I wanted more space than the Golf or Mini. I took a bit of a hit on the trade in, but overall it wasn't too bad. I actually took some cash out and financed the rest at 0%. My wife thinks I'm crazy, but I really missed the whole TDI experience. I've only had the car for 5 days now, but so far I'm loving it.

For you, just looking at the initial numbers it might not make sense, but if you plan to keep the car a long time it might still be the right move. Also, if you are looking for a DSG car, there should be enough inventory to find an SE model that has some extra features over the S and would be closer to the GTI. A lot of the SE cars have the Driver assist and lighting package which gets you the Xenon headlights.

In the end, only you can decide if it's the right move!

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
I wouldn't give up my GTI. I'm about to put an IS38 in it and put around 380hp/390lb-ft to the wheels.

Granted, two totally different vehicles and two different reasons for owning. My commutes are far, far less now than they were when I owned my TDIs, so I like the powah! If I was still doing 35K miles a year like I used to, the TDI would be a no-brainer.

volksjaeger

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta Wagon, '15 Golf Sportwagen, '16 Touareg Lux
Get the TDI. You may not be able to find a brand new TDI wagon ever again.

GTIs can be had 7 days a week, 365 days a year from every dealer in the entire US. Nothing special about them.

I felt so strongly about this I bought two '15 TDI 6MT Sportwagens.

volksjaeger

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta Wagon, '15 Golf Sportwagen, '16 Touareg Lux
Pulled the trigger. Couldn't be happier.
wow what a gorgeous car! Congrats and you made the right decision. I wake up every morning looking forward to rowing the gears and feeling that 271 lbs of freight train torque.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
I was in a similar quandary so I went ahead and bought the GSW today and kept the GTI. I also copied off your color. :p

subdvr99

TDI
2006 BRM (Sold)
Similar thought process that I am having right now, so I figured I'd resurrect this thread rather than start a new one.

I had a 2006 BRM TDI (original owner) that I loved, and traded in for a new 2016 GTI SE in Dec 2015. I was looking to upgrade to a Mk7 TDI anyway (lots of things were coming due, including camshaft), then dieselgate screwed up my plans. But with the loyalty cash, i got a pretty good deal on the GTI. I also had moved to a place where I have almost no commute, so it was a good time to play with a GTI.

I love the GTI, features, looks, interior, android auto, lighting package, etc, with one exception - mpg and range! The mpg really isn't that bad for a car of its performance, but the range (or lack thereof) kills me. I was spoiled by my RC1+ TDI.

So... next summer I am moving back to the DC area, and I will have a pretty good commute again. That has me thinking of whether I should look to trade the GTI for a '15 TDI (SE, probably) if I can find one I like. I think it would have everything I'm used to except for Android Auto (which is awesome, by the way). Anything else I would be losing (besides the obvious - seats, black headliner, handling)?

I also have to run the transaction costs - that is a factor too.

Any thoughts out there? I could always wait until the spring/summer to delay a decision, but I worry about inventory.