www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > General Automotive

General Automotive General automotive discussion. This is intended to be a discussion about other not VW and Diesel cars you may have or interested in.

Old Yesterday, 11:58   #3481
Pineapplez

TDI(s): 2000 jetta
Default low/zero emisssion biofuel street racer

Hey guys I'm new here. So the whole new thing seems to be electric vehicles, but I was wondering if there is a way lower or extinguish emissions using a certain exhaust system. As far as I know the algae biofuel manufacturers create less pollutants than the electric manufacturers.

Pretty much trying to sup up my 2000 jetta tdi without screwing up the air.

Thanks guys
Pineapplez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 13:42   #3482
bhtooefr
TDIClub Enthusiast
ToofTek Inventor

TDI(s): None

The first question is... what algae biofuel manufacturers?

Algal biodiesel has been a technology that's always been 5 years away for, what, 15 years now?

In any case, the big emissions to worry about with diesel are particulate matter and nitrogen oxides. Most of the performance mods for TDIs advance timing, reduce or eliminate EGR activity, and have higher combustion temperatures, all of which can massively increase nitrogen oxide emissions. And, with increased fueling, particulate matter emissions can increase (not necessarily, though - and the same things I mentioned that increase NOx emissions also decrease PM emissions).

More modern engines have countermeasures like particulate filters and selective catalytic reduction systems, as well as simply improved combustion technology. However, swapping one of those into a Mk4 would be an extremely daunting prospect.

There is a retrofit particulate filter meant for the ALH for the German market, but you wouldn't be improving performance with it, and reliability was likely not even concerned, merely legal compliance for entering urban cores where Euro 4 compliance was necessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug_Nut View Post
The really cool ToofTek made "Emperor's Clothes" injector fork risers only worked until someone pointed out that there wasn't any thing there.
bhtooefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 13:59   #3483
nwdiver
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 320wh/mi; ~90mpge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineapplez View Post
Pretty much trying to sup up my 2000 jetta tdi without screwing up the air.

Thanks guys
You're posting that on an EV thread... you probably already know the best solution
nwdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 18:27   #3484
n1das
TDIClub Enthusiast
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Who cares? It's a DIESEL! Great fuel economy comes as a bonus!
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by German_1er_diesel View Post
Only the Chiron exists, while this "2020" Tesla Roadster is still in an early stage of development.
Working protos of the new roadster already exist, unveiled last night in Los Angeles. Very cool. Me want, but will never be able to afford.

Tesla Truck unveiling, with a surprise: (9 minute condensed version)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5n9x...ature=youtu.be

Tesla roadster unveiling test drive:
0-60 in 1.9 seconds, 0-100 in 4.2 seconds, 1/4 mile in 8.9 seconds, top speed > 250 MPH, Elon won't say what the actual top speed is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAQG...ature=youtu.be

Member SSBMWO

Why DIESEL is better:
http://webpages.charter.net/lmarz/emissions.html
http://webpages.charter.net/lmarz/efficiency.html
http://webpages.charter.net/lmarz/performance.html
http://webpages.charter.net/lmarz/emissions2014.html
http://webpages.charter.net/lmarz/emissions2016.html

Last edited by n1das; Yesterday at 19:47.
n1das is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 18:44   #3485
GoFaster
Moderator at Large

Interesting but call me a skeptic on some of the claims.

Megawatt-rated charging hardware that is safe and manageable for a normal person to handle (in all weather conditions!) is going to be ... interesting.

Back-of-notepad calculations suggest that the 500 mi / 800 km range might be achievable under exceptionally ideal conditions with bare-mimimum 400 kWh on the low side; Tesla claims "less than 2 kWh/mile" which means the battery could be as much as 1000 kWh. I'm sure that if it were less than 1 kWh/mile they would have said so ... so move the bare minimum to 500 kWh and could be as much as 1000 kWh. Let's guess 800 kWh.

80% charge of that in 30 minutes requires 1.3 MW ... That requires both a lot of amps AND a lot of volts.

A state of the art lithium battery is somewhere around 250 W.h / kg, so that 800 kWh battery will weigh 3200 kg ... that's actually not as bad as it could be. This is for the cell only; the pack weighs about as much again. So the weight of the battery is up there, but it could be worse.
GoFaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 19:06   #3486
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

I'm sure the Tesla semi is no lightweight, but you actually want quite a bit of weight in a tractor. And most of the weight is low and over the drive axles where you want it. If Tesla can deliver on those numbers, it will revolutionize the trucking industry.
I can understand the skepticism, but then again, plenty of folks were skeptical that a large rocket booster could be landed with pinpoint accuracy. Now it seems par for the course.
turbobrick240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 19:47   #3487
GoFaster
Moderator at Large

What it's going to take to recharge it is the big question mark. I'm sure the early adopters will build their own dedicated charging stations and use the truck in such a manner that it never needs to be charged anywhere else.
GoFaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 20:01   #3488
nwdiver
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 320wh/mi; ~90mpge

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFaster View Post
80% charge of that in 30 minutes requires 1.3 MW ... That requires both a lot of amps AND a lot of volts.
If I recall my electrical training correctly you can go up to 600v and 2000A and stay in the same classification as the current superchargers. You'd need thicker wires or cooling. That's ~1.2MW. They'd need a DC-DC converter onboard to ensure the Truck is fed with ~600v and not just the low SOC voltage of the pack.

The substation at truck stops would need be MASSIVE.

The best use would be distribution center to store. The truck charges at the distribution center and charges while unloading at the store... you never have to detour to get fuel.

Last edited by nwdiver; Yesterday at 20:05.
nwdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:08   #3489
bhtooefr
TDIClub Enthusiast
ToofTek Inventor

TDI(s): None

I'd guess that Tesla's probably aiming for 800 V nominal, which is rapidly being seen as the future of DC fast charging. (And, a lot of new DC fast chargers being supplied to the rest of the automotive market are 800 V capable, now, to manage the currents at play better.)

That said, Tesla is planning on using solar and battery storage to power the Megachargers, which will at least reduce load on the substation.

And, here's the Megacharger port: https://cdn.teslarati.com/wp-content...rging-port.jpg

Looks like 8 current-carrying pins versus the 2 of Supercharging. So, a Supercharger can do 120 kW per car IIRC, at 375 V nominal. Raising things to 800 V nominal and quadrupling current gets you to 1024 kW - at that rate, you'd get 512 kWh to go 400 miles, or 640 kWh to go 500 miles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug_Nut View Post
The really cool ToofTek made "Emperor's Clothes" injector fork risers only worked until someone pointed out that there wasn't any thing there.
bhtooefr is offline   Reply With Quote