Adapting a Golf S for a Full-Size Spare

Mass. Wine Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
5-speed, 2015 Golf S 6-speed manual; 2015 Golf Sportwagen SEL 6-speed manual
I hate donut spare tires and want to replace the one in a 2015 Golf S with a full size tire.

I know there is some replacement trim you can buy to make room for a real tire. Is it pretty simple to do? I’m a mechanical neanderthal.

Also, what’s a decent enough inexpensive tire that would work?

Thanks.

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
VW P/N: 5GM86345982V. I got mine from ECS. Oddly enough, they had the best pricing after shipping. Check eBay and VW classifieds for the full-sized spare tires. There always seems to be someone getting rid of one.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I never need a spare, only time I ever see it is if I check to see if it still has air. I'd rather have a bigger fuel tank. THAT I could use.

Wine guy, just how many new threads are you aiming to start about your new car, anyway? :D

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
If you simply cut away the interfering part of the existing trim, would that work? The affected part is normally hidden under the trunk floor, right?

For what it's worth, I haven't used my full-size spare in my MkIV since I bought it new in 2004. Not that something couldn't happen, but a full-size spare seems like a waste of a tire, and space. This is especially true if most of your driving is close to home, where it won't be a big deal if you have to use a compact spare for a short time until you get your tire fixed.

The only time a full-size spare is a great advantage is if you do a lot of very long road trips, far from home. With a full-size spare you can continue your trip at normal speed.

Also consider carrying a small 12V compressor and a tire plugging kit. In many cases you could just repair your full-size tire and motor on, with the compact-spare as a last resort.

TomJD

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI GLS, 2015 Golf TDI
Get a bumper mount like some SUVs have. I’m sure some guy with welding skills can do that for you.

Or just toss one in the back seat.

I’ve had to use my spare once. Only advantage to a full size to me is I can drive faster to get it fixed. I maybe put 10 miles on it?

Though here in St. Louis you’ll see cars driving on a doughnut doing 80 in the rain.

gearheadgrrrl

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Golf DSG, '13 JSW DSG surrendered to VW, '03 Golf 2 door manual
My out of alignment JSW was shredding the left front on my way from MN to FL. Put on the full size spare and drove around in Florida for a couple months, got the alignment fixed, drove back to MN, and drove it over 10,000 more miles before I took the buyback. Another full size wheel and tire from my JSW lives on in the trunk of my '15 Golf TDI, and it's donut spare got pitched into the JSW when I turned it in!

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
On a business trip in remote North Dakota to work on a new oil well, I blew a tire on the rental car I had. The donut spare was all that the car had. I drove on it for 200+ miles at high speed until I found a town with tire service. Donut tires ROCK!! :cool:

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I'm not proud of it, but I've been driving around for over six months with no spare whatsoever in the car. When I go on cross country road trips I always have one, sometimes two in back. Plus a 12V air compressor, patch kit, and tire slime. Haven't needed any of it yet.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Just mount it to the roof rack with bungee cords. Cheap effective and avant-garde.

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
If you check the Boston/NH Craigslist for full size spares being sold by former TDI / VW owners, you'll be able find one that has never been used for $50 or so. I see them listed all the time. Do you have an actual donut spare, or a limited speed full-size?

I love the anecdotes (here and on every other spare tire thread) about never needing one. They're fun. But for those owners and situations in which only a full-size spare will work, there is (as the slogan goes) no substitute. They might be a waste of space or fuel (weight) 99% of the time, but can't we apply this mantra to many things that other owners choose to have in their cars? As a counter anecdote: In summer 2009 I was driving to Camp Pendleton from center of the country, and blew out a tire when crossing barren northern Texas. The tire was a complete loss (at half its warranty mileage), while the other three were fine. I was, shall we say, on a time schedule that allowed no delay, and required weeks of driving upon arrival in CA without free time to replace the tire. I put on the full size spare in 105* heat, and made it to CA on time. Two weeks later, I made it to the tire shop at my leisure. I'd rather have extra fuel, too- but if I'm not adding a extra fuel tank (and that option has been investigated and dismissed), I'd rather fill the spare tire well with a full size instead of a donut. Minimal difference in weight, and it allows you to safely continue your trip at speed, and repair or replace a tire when convenient.

Last edited:

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
Hello,

If you simply cut away the interfering part of the existing trim, would that work? The affected part is normally hidden under the trunk floor, right?
That would certainly work. And that's what I originally did to mine. But then I decided I wanted the cleaner look of the factory piece for car shows. Plus, the OCD in me wanted the cutaway to be perfectly round. :eek:

For what it's worth, I haven't used my full-size spare in my MkIV since I bought it new in 2004. Not that something couldn't happen, but a full-size spare seems like a waste of a tire, and space.... Also consider carrying a small 12V compressor and a tire plugging kit. In many cases you could just repair your full-size tire and motor on, with the compact-spare as a last resort.
Great minds think alike! I didn't buy my trim piece to accept a full-size spare. Instead, I bought it for easier access to the donut spare with my electronics panel in place. Later, since my tires are screw-magnets, I decided to start carrying a plug/pump kit. Murphy says I won't need them now that they're in the car. :p

I have some photos that show the difference in accessibility on this page.

Scott