Durban Wheel Cracked?!?!?!

Fastbird

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL, 2015 Sportwagen SEL
Picked up my wife's new (to us) 15 SEL Sportwagen on Saturday. Uneventful drive home, brand new tires on the car that the dealer where I purchased (non VW dealer) installed with no wheel defects noted. Started getting tire pressure warnings on the way home.

Wife took the car in today to our local tire shop and the wheel has a split on the inside lip right at the bead. No blemishes on tire, no metal distortion, no signs of impact to me and what I can see, just a split.

Talked to my local VW dealer since it's still under the 3/36 warranty, and they're already pushing back saying it always happens because of an impact. Anyone else experienced a cracked wheel out of nowhere?

dieselpwr

TDI
04 GOLF PD, 15 GSW SEL TDI
Good luck getting the dealer to pay for that. For the price of a new wheel toy can probably find a used set on the forums or Craigslist

Fastbird

Veteran Member
TDI
Update. Wheel had a bend at the crack, I was able to visually verify this while at the dealership. I think I was bamboozled by the selling dealership. Live and learn.

dieselpwr

TDI
04 GOLF PD, 15 GSW SEL TDI
Update. Wheel had a bend at the crack, I was able to visually verify this while at the dealership. I think I was bamboozled by the selling dealership. Live and learn.
a reputable wheel repair guy can fix that for you. personally I would look for a replacement though.

Fastbird

Veteran Member
TDI
I actually got the contact info for the guy that my local dealership uses. He can fix and straighten the bend, all inclusive, for $120. I'm willing to do that.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
I picked up a reman 18" "Bristol" for our Passat off ebay for 140 shipped, looks brand new, when the wife curbed the eff out of her rim when going thru one of those "trolley" style car washes. I now have a spare.

I'd be weary of any cracks, bends can be managed, but cracks are a different world.