Why do You Still Have Your MK4 TDI?

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
I miss my ‘72 k5, and I doubt I will ever get rid of my ‘90. Most likely have some sort of ALH until the end also

MattRabbit

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SE TDI, 2014 Beetle TDI, 1981 Rabbit Diesel
I keep mine mostly out of necessity. I'm not really in a financial position to replace it right now. That said, even though I'm 'stuck' with it, there are far worse vehicles to be stuck with. I've had mine since it was new. 17 years and 384K miles later and it just keeps on going. I'm starting to address little cosmetic things in the interior now. I had it painted a few years ago, and it still turns heads.

It's a really great vehicle.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Wow this thread just started yesterday and already three pages. I think that tells you what most of us think of our MK 4's.

Great mileage; 700+ per tank with a handful over 800

Easy to work on, and lots of support from like minded folks here on this forum.

Fun to drive, fun to drive, fun to drive, well you get the idea, I'm preaching to the choir on that.

I'm not handicapped..yet.. so I don't need an auto transmission, parking help, braking help or blind spot help..yet.

Best cars ever made.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
It's remarkable to us here at IDParts, MKIV parts sales stay steady, year in and year out. You'd think cars would be getting retired as they age, but it doesn't seem so. Cheaper to fix it, I guess.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Just to rain a bit on a very popular thread parade- It's the advertising. Not my opinion, but heard this a few times from car people. Of course none of us think we're all that influenced by such things. But companies spend billions on ads because they work and VW has some of the best.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Just to rain a bit on a very popular thread parade- It's the advertising. Not my opinion, but heard this a few times from car people. Of course none of us think we're all that influenced by such things. But companies spend billions on ads because they work and VW has some of the best.
Not sure what this means. I don't think VW has been spending a lot on advertising MKIV TDIs lately.

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
I have too much time and $$$ invested in my Golf since I purchased it new in '04.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
I guess I'll bite finally.

• Fun to drive
  • Great fuel mileage
  • Easy to work on
  • paid off
  • Cheap upgrades
  • available parts
  • wealth of knowledge about these
  • [ALH] arguably one of the most robust diesel engines around
  • Love the looks
  • MANUAL TRANSMISSION!
  • Plays nice with my Cummins

Advertising never got me into this car. When I moved out west I knew with my commute to work I couldn't do it in the truck forever. Being a diesel enthusiast, I did my research on what was available for diesel cars, short of swapping an engine into something. Came across the TDI, specifically sought out an ALH after heavy research on this forum and never looked back!:D

casey823

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta sedan, 2002 golf tdi
I was not much of a vw guy when I had my little lot flipping cars about 7 years ago. A customer approached me wanting to trade some of my time for an 03 tdi golf. I agreed and that started my love for tdi's, since then I have had/have 10 different tdi's. They get great mileage and are really easy to diagnose and work on.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Not sure what this means. I don't think VW has been spending a lot on advertising MKIV TDIs lately.
No, of course you're right. But think of all the folks you know who go their whole life swearing by one brand. Like I said, no one wants to admit they're affected by such things.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Advertising? Perhaps not so much. Brand loyalty? Sure. I learned to drive in a '66 VW Bus. Owned multiple beetles when I was in college. My first new car was a '78 Rabbit diesel. I love VWs. And now my kids do, too.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Me too, I just replaced a 99 TDI with an 03 TDI, didn't hardly give it a thought.

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
Advertising? Perhaps not so much. Brand loyalty? Sure. I learned to drive in a '66 VW Bus. Owned multiple beetles when I was in college. My first new car was a '78 Rabbit diesel. I love VWs. And now my kids do, too.
I think it's great when the kids realize on their own that certain cars are 'cooler'.

mcarthur70

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 jetta wagon
Biggest reason ! My 03 jetta wagon gets 45 mpg every day around town driving! And no car payment !!!!!!!

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I think it's great when the kids realize on their own that certain cars are 'cooler'.
My son is on his second silver Golf TDI. This one has a lift kit.

It's here now because it needs a timing belt before he relocates to Wisconsin next month. 365K on the car: I drove it tonight and it runs beautifully. He uses it as a work truck pretty often as you can see, and the last two miles of his summer commute is on dirt roads. Lift kit helps.

We bought this car 4 years ago with 265K on it. Original owner, maintained by a guru. Cost us $1K, and it's only required routine maintenance and some wear items replaced in the last 100K miles. Hard to beat that.

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
I've only owned Mk4s the last few years. I was a Mk3/B4 guy before that. The mk4 is worlds more refined, smoother, quieter, easier to mod, doesn't leak so much, door handles and window regulators don't break so frequently.. I mean, mk4 regulators used to break all the time, but they've gotten that well sorted.

Mk4s for me are at that sweet spot. I'm cheap. I'd much rather purchase a car for next to nothing due to its age and neglect and then treat it as a blank canvas to make it whatever I want. Most of it is bound to be tired, so make the suspension awesome, put in better seats, more modern factory radio with bluetooth and other more modern features, upgrade the engine and clutch and motor on.

It's also that sweet spot of it has just enough convenience features and tweakability without being too overly reliant on a centralized computer system for the electronics. It was the start of things heading that direction, but before it got so crazy that even light bulbs had to pass through a computer's control. The wiring diagrams are also much easier to trace due to this reason. Less "factory magic" voodoo happening and I can easily trace power and ground sources for most things.

Plus, out here at least, they are plentiful in Pick n Pulls for a cheap source of all kinds of parts to make your car better.

Most of the mechanical work on these cars is also pretty simple and easy to do, maybe partly because I've done it all so repeatedly on mk4s.

Sure, newer cars have a superior chassis and better interiors and more features, but these just have that combination of being still decent in all those departments, but at the same time simpler to deal with.

jackbombay

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A4 Jetta
I'll own my 03 wagon till I die!

It handles so well.

I love the low end pull.

The fuel economy is of course so so good.

I've driven much newer much more expensive cars and while they are fun they are more of novelties compared to the pure awesome that is a well modded ALH Jetta wagon!

peterdaniel

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GL 5 spd TDi, 2003 Jetta GLS Indigo blue 5spd wagon. 2003 Jetta GLS Candy white wagon 5 speed
I ****ing hate my MKIV wagon and two door Golf. Hate them I tell ya! :D They have ruined it for every other car I have ever tried to compare. Comfort, speed ( with my mods ) I know what works and what doesnt, dead reliable, FUN FUN FUN, great fuel mileage and I have made them into exactly what I want them to be. No car payment either. Everything else is complicated, boring and just like the next car down the road. They are also quite advanced for their generation. Full front side and rear airbags, ABS, and built well. They feel solid and not cheap.

Last edited:

caideN

TDI
02 Jetta Wagon TDI
I hope more and more people will keep their mk4 TDIs going!

Prairie Chicken

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta, 04 Jetta
To me, its the service life - it is amazing how many 15+ year old TDI's are out there that will only be stopped by body damage or rust. Add in all the other reasons, and you have an awesome car. Have bought 7, currently own 5.

belome

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
Mine is sitting in my yard collecting dust... need to sell it, but too lazy to find the title.

Plus, my plates expire today so....

drummond

TDI
98 Jetta (sold) 01 Jetta (current)
I've owned at least (1) TDI since 2012, first starting with the MK3 platform and upgrading to an MK4 in 2015. The fuel mileage of the TDI is what really interested me at first, but the reliability, simplicity and fun factor are hard to beat.

I don't see this changing anytime soon. My 01 has 190k on it and although it needs some work soon (suspension, clutch), it just makes the most sense to fix it and keep going. Parts are plentiful in junkyards, I find myself driving +500 miles a week and over the last 30k miles tracked in Fuelly I have averaged 48 mpg

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
To me, its the service life - it is amazing how many 15+ year old TDI's are out there that will only be stopped by body damage or rust. Add in all the other reasons, and you have an awesome car. Have bought 7, currently own 5.

The rust is what caused me to part with mine. And now I miss it. I had done all of the OEM+ type mods that made it better than factory with a full suspension refresh, Stage 2, injectors, etc. It handled wonderfully, was very comfortable and had loads of character.

I DO like the MK6 that I'm driving now and think that with a tune and an upgraded suspension down the road it could be much closer to my MK4 than it is now. But its no ALH wagon. I don't need another car for anything, but I am still on CL every day looking at TDI's and may accidentally bring home another MK4 someday.

jbourke367

TDI
99.5 Golf TDI
I still have my mk4 TDI because I have dumped too much time and $$ into it to get rid of it. This car is my first TDI as well as the car that I learned to drive a manual in. This is also the car that has taught me how to repair and maintain a car. I have gone through the effort of removing most of the interior so I could remove the nasty vw “soft touch” that has become sticky and peeling with age. I have also replaced the headliner. I have an addiction to these vw diesels, I love the distinct sound and personality of them. My dream is to heavily mod one of these cars but I’ll wait on that until I get a 2 door golf.

Prairie Chicken

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta, 04 Jetta
The rust is what caused me to part with mine.
yep... I was depressed seeing all the rust buckets when we moved up here from TX. I still travel to pick up cars. Every one of them was purchased south of the Mason Dixon.

Add that to the list - VW rust protection is one of the better ones IMO (as long as you keep the inner fender well clean and remove that dang sponge from the upper fender)

bigkahuna360

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI, 2011 BMW 335d Stage 2
It's my first car! I love the damn thing and I know it will reliably get me from point A to point B. I know how to maintain it and know where to look when something goes wrong. The parts are plentiful and cheap. I pay $650/year for some pretty decent coverage at only 22. 50MPG is a nice touch. The list goes on and on.

flashmayo

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta - Gator Tuned
Yeah having a car with that new car smell would be nice. On the other hand, I'd rather pay some attention to the ol' 03 and spend a couple hundred bucks every few months to repair/maintain it than drop $3K plus $600/mo for 60 months on a new car. Not to mention insurance costs. I would like to find some way of integrating the car with interaction with my iphone better though. Sitting outside in the driveway overnight, a new car becomes a used car pretty quickly.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
I would like to find some way of integrating the car with interaction with my iphone better though.
The Pioneer NEX units do a pretty good job of this; and if you have the MFSW with volume and FF/REW controls (and cruise, of course) on the steering wheel, there's hardware to wire that all into an aftermarket head unit. Having done that on both the Golf and recently departed JSW (ALHs), it's the way to go.

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
The Pioneer NEX units do a pretty good job of this; and if you have the MFSW with volume and FF/REW controls (and cruise, of course) on the steering wheel, there's hardware to wire that all into an aftermarket head unit. Having done that on both the Golf and recently departed JSW (ALHs), it's the way to go.
Agreed. I have a NEX I put into my Mazda 6 and while I'm not an iPhone guy (no fruity stuff owned by me at all) they'll easily go into a MkIV as well and they bring the A/V into the modern age, for real -- and can keep the steering wheel controls (PAC should have a unit that works.)