Creaking on takeoff

duwem

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS TDI 5 Speed
When I take off from a parking spot i have been noticing a creeking poping sound. Thought it was the brakes or parking brake but the other day driving slow around a lot in first I noticed it when letting off the throttle when the drivetrain unloaded.

The old girl is 11 years old with some miles but wondering what it could be. No noises while driving.

Engine mounts possibly? Suspension rubber all replaced this spring.

Vindiesel6

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 VW Golf GLS TDI & 2015 Q5 TDI
Strut mount bushings & bearings are most likely in need of replacement if you have not done them yet. I usually only see 60k miles out of mine before they start to make noise. Also check the lower control arm rear bushings for cracking if they have not been replaced yet.

duwem

Veteran Member
TDI
Everything other than the top mounts were replaced.

Its almost more of a poping sound. I will try to video it.

Vindiesel6

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 VW Golf GLS TDI & 2015 Q5 TDI
Replace the strut top bushings and bearings. There is no way they are still in one piece after 250k miles. The bearings will come out in pieces most likely as mine did after < 80k miles.

dlb

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Reflex Silver Golf
maybe a dumb question but do you have an aftermarket skidplate ? They will creak and pop unless you have nylon or rubber bushings between it and the body of the vehicle - I should know mine is creaking and popping ??

steadyhand

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf '05 GLS TDI
I had this a while back and ended up incrementally replacing ALL the rubber suspension pieces underneath the car, even the three engine/trans mounts. All those items were 'due' anyway. If I remember correctly, my notion of what was causing this was the two sway bar bushings....once they were replaced (and my fingers untwisted, with many nicks/cuts), the symptoms disappeared.

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
The door hinges on my Golf used to creak when accelerating, stopping, or going over a bump. I thought at first that something inside the door had come loose, but lots of lubrication on the hinges and torsion bars seems to have eliminated the noise.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
dumb stuff- once had the car jacked up on one side only, removed the metal plate, reininstalled, and the thing made a creak noise at low speed take-off. Put it up on ramps, reinstalled plate, noise gone (like I said Dumb)

Lugnut

TDI
2004 Jetta, Gray
My is doing the same thing on the right side after having the left side fixed about a year ago. Bushings, lower control arm, whatever else you can do while you are at it. It can be fixed. Mine goes in for the fix in about two weeks. I am at 214,000 on a 2004 Jetta TDI.

duwem

Veteran Member
TDI
Strut bushings and bearings replaced. Still there.

So now every rubber part of the suspension other than the sway bar end links and the subframe mounts has been replaced front to rear on the car.

Still wondering if its an engine mount ?

Do have the panzer plate though which is bolted solid to the car.

dogdots

Vendor
TDI
None
CV joints may be worn - especially the inner. Jack up one side of the car in gear and E brake on then try to rotate the front wheel. Do you have vary much slop, and can you reproduce the noise by hand? My CV's were completely shot at 200k.

TDI in MT

Veteran Member
TDI
none, sold it.
CV joints may be worn - especially the inner. Jack up one side of the car in gear and E brake on then try to rotate the front wheel. Do you have vary much slop, and can you reproduce the noise by hand? My CV's were completely shot at 200k.
On my car it was the right inner CV joint. Trans shop noticed the boot was torn so I had them replace the whole thing. No more crunching noise when I slow down for/take off from a light.

Steve-o

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Check the plastic fender liner attachments. Mine has let go a bit and the car sounds arthritic. Zip-tied it the first time and that held for a bit; it's happening again so it's time to find a more-permanent fix.

1heavyfoot

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 GTI Autobahn DSG
My suggestion is to lift the front end and check the torque of the four bolts that secure the steering rack to the sub-frame and remaining front suspension bolts.

I chased a creaking/popping noise on my car for two years and those four bolts ended up being the culprit. Once I tightened them to spec the noised disappeared.

blacksi

TDI
Jetta
What the heck, no solution? come on you can't just leave a thread hanging like that! Wait you did...

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Because replying to a 5 year old post will get them to answer their fix lol if you're having any issues start a new thread, there's plenty of people willing to help.