overland offroadish build

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Highline Touareg TDI
Ever since i bought my touareg 4 years ago ive been dreaming of lifting it and making it look amazing and more capable.

Well my dream came true and now begins the full build...so far the lift is on, new aftermarket 17 inch rims are on the way and i plan to squeeze a 33x12.5 r17 on it. Also some spacers to give it a nicer stance.

After that it will be a winch hidden inside the front bumper, and a custom roof basket with full spare and led light bars.

Anyway this is where it stands currently with the 30.5 inch bfg k02s and a 2.5 inch lift.

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
Looks great! What did you use for the lift?

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Looks great! What did you use for the lift?
nothing really on the market, hence why i waiting 4 years looking....a guy in Australia makes it, its a spring spacer his name is alex gee....he has built them for the older touaregs for a while and just released these version, i found him on instagram

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No real update just been out enjoying it...rims are still coming in the mail and havent decided on tires just yet.

I plan to outfit this with winch, roof rack, led light bars, roof tent..and a bunch of gear as i plan to do a cross country trip and tackle some trails and put it to the test

Last edited:

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE, new 4 Sept 2017;2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen (Ruby) sold to VW on 22 SEP 2017
Don't know if T'regs have tried Hell's Revenge, but 4Runners do it, so it's possible. Looks fun.

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Don't know if T'regs have tried Hell's Revenge, but 4Runners do it, so it's possible. Looks fun.
TFL on youtube had 2006 v8 touareg on 32 inch bfg ko2s they did fins and things and hells revenge...it had air suspension as well but it did it pretty well...theres videos on youtube. I want to try some of those trails when i get down there

Matt-98AHU

TDI
TFL on youtube had 2006 v8 touareg on 32 inch bfg ko2s they did fins and things and hells revenge...it had air suspension as well but it did it pretty well...theres videos on youtube. I want to try some of those trails when i get down there
Not only air suspension, but the gen 1 Touaregs also got a low gear transfer case (additional 2.7:1 reduction compared to the normal "Auto diff" mode). Theirs is also equipped with the somewhat rare optional locking rear differential. Though I will say that the ABS/ESP/EDL programming in off road mode is still highly effective so that in most conditions eliminates the need for the locker anyway, but still, at the end of the day the locker in theory still has a mechanical advantage the ESP/EDL can't provide.

The first gen Touareg with air and rear locker is an off road sleeper for sure. Though I will say with the air suspension at full extension is very stiff and has very little articulation. It's a slow, not very comfortable crawl if you genuinely need that extra height.

casioqv

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Touareg TDI
Very cool, I look forward to seeing your progress as there isn't much info on Treg overland builds. I just picked up a post-fix 2009 TDI Touareg to do a mild overland build on, for family camping. I'm pretty much just planning KO2s, roof tent, recovery gear, and skid plates.

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Not only air suspension, but the gen 1 Touaregs also got a low gear transfer case (additional 2.7:1 reduction compared to the normal "Auto diff" mode). Theirs is also equipped with the somewhat rare optional locking rear differential. Though I will say that the ABS/ESP/EDL programming in off road mode is still highly effective so that in most conditions eliminates the need for the locker anyway, but still, at the end of the day the locker in theory still has a mechanical advantage the ESP/EDL can't provide.
The first gen Touareg with air and rear locker is an off road sleeper for sure. Though I will say with the air suspension at full extension is very stiff and has very little articulation. It's a slow, not very comfortable crawl if you genuinely need that extra height.
Yes without a doubt the t1 and t2 are way better off road, we will see how this does little ive done it handles well off road, i have ground clearance now and with the diesel and the 8 spd first is super low...not low range low but im going to put it to work....im thinking about being the first documented touareg to attempt hells gate

Very cool, I look forward to seeing your progress as there isn't much info on Treg overland builds. I just picked up a post-fix 2009 TDI Touareg to do a mild overland build on, for family camping. I'm pretty much just planning KO2s, roof tent, recovery gear, and skid plates.
Thanks and i will keep this up to date

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
test fit went okay...they fit, but its SUPER close to the caliper, i suggest a spacer of any size, i knew i was going to run some anyway so 15mm fronts and 20mms rear have been ordered....heres pics i threw 15mms of washers behind just to see the offset outlook

So close lol..but doesnt actually touch

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle GLS TDI (BIODSL). 01 original Glow Bug TDI (sold)
I love it!! I would totally do this if i had a Touareg. Unless you'd never use it a rack, and maybe bull bar or something similar would look neat as well.

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I love it!! I would totally do this if i had a Touareg. Unless you'd never use it a rack, and maybe bull bar or something similar would look neat as well.
Yah a rack is on the list to house spare tire, light bar, traction boards and other goodies.

Matt-98AHU

TDI
Yes without a doubt the t1 and t2 are way better off road, we will see how this does little ive done it handles well off road, i have ground clearance now and with the diesel and the 8 spd first is super low...not low range low but im going to put it to work....im thinking about being the first documented touareg to attempt hells gate
Thanks and i will keep this up to date
If you do plan a trip to Moab, let me know. I'd like to see what the ol 2004 V10 can do as well. And it does have the rear locker.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
nice spacers. I would kinda like to see if i could get some on my bug. I may have to try your washer idea to test fit! help save me money if it doesn't fit. i'll wait to see your rack and light bar, and any other cool stuff you do!

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
nice spacers. I would kinda like to see if i could get some on my bug. I may have to try your washer idea to test fit! help save me money if it doesn't fit. i'll wait to see your rack and light bar, and any other cool stuff you do!
im really impressed with blox spacers on ebay, amazing service, price and super fast shipping.

Yah washers help for a test to see how far out you want to go...im thinking about spacers on the jetta now, first time ever doing it and i love the wider look

DieselDeeds

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 TDI S-Line + Black Optics Package
This looks great man! I was just showing this to a buddy of mine and we both admire what you’ve done to your Touareg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
im really impressed with blox spacers on ebay, amazing service, price and super fast shipping.
Yah washers help for a test to see how far out you want to go...im thinking about spacers on the jetta now, first time ever doing it and i love the wider look
ok, Ya i wouldn't mind knowing how well that works. i had made a posting awhile back asking if anyone had put spacers on lifted mk4's and how well it worked, but i never had any responses. i was wanting to look into it, but didn't want to spend the money unless i knew it would work. I like the wider look too! that's why i have always wanted to try it lol.

soon as the semesters over ill have to try the washer idea, and if i like it ill look into those blox's.

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
This looks great man! I was just showing this to a buddy of mine and we both admire what you’ve done to your Touareg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks man, lots to come and i appreciate the love. These things are pretty nice suv i just want to make it mine
ok, Ya i wouldn't mind knowing how well that works. i had made a posting awhile back asking if anyone had put spacers on lifted mk4's and how well it worked, but i never had any responses. i was wanting to look into it, but didn't want to spend the money unless i knew it would work. I like the wider look too! that's why i have always wanted to try it lol.

soon as the semesters over ill have to try the washer idea, and if i like it ill look into those blox's.
Been out a few times now, cant tell spacers are on, checked torque nothing loosing. Im very happy

Matt927

Veteran Member
TDI
several
This is one of the best looking T-Regs I have seen. Nice job.

On a side note, how did the k02s balance out?

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
This is one of the best looking T-Regs I have seen. Nice job.

On a side note, how did the k02s balance out?
Thanks man, still got lots to do yet but its coming....this is the 3rd set, i never asked my tire guy but ive had great experiences with them. Not sure i am going with them again as i want more aggressive i think lol

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
found a set of 285/70/r17s (33x11.2) for cheap to trial...so new rims are going on soon :)

JonnyObnoxious

TDI
05 VW Passat, 12 VW Touareg TDI
Nice! I'm a jackass so I'm seriously considering building mine and running it in the OG Gambler 500. This is definitely goals.

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Did some overland trail stuff with jeeps...did very well for not good tires...gladiator was on brand new 35s...tj was on 33 toyo mts....only time i got stuck was trying to get out of the trail on exit...and the tj got stuck first and dug a hole...and i still made it further than him so with good tires she will really impress.