Place your bets! Turbo Failure? *Video Attached*

halfspec

TDI
2012 Passat TDI
So, first time post under bad circumstances. My wife limped her 72k mile 2012 Passat TDI home sounding like this last night:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Is98nCMoxjI

Yeesh!
Wife experienced a loss of power while driving. She got a check engine light and a flashing glow plug indicator. Pulled codes: P0299, P204F, P20EE, and P2201.

P0299 seems like the red flag to me as I've read through multiple turbo failures in the sticky where guys have gotten an underboost fault with a turbo failure.

I would go further with VCDS, but the fact of the matter is that we've owned this car 1 week and have put less than 500 miles on it and all my extra money was going towards getting the cars fluids, filters, and consumables up to speed, so I haven't had time to invest in a VCDS adapter / license yet. I didn't anticipate something this major happening in the first few days of ownership :(

So tell me what you think. I'll find out either way tomorrow morning as I'm trailering the car 1.5hrs away to the nearest VW dealership and pray that if it's the turbo they fix it under warranty work per bulletin VWP-14-04 or the April 2018 extended emission warranty.

Lane

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
Shouldn't the extended roadside assistance cover the tow? Anything triggering the mil light should be covered under the warranty, and any dispute is to be resolved in the customers favor. As long as the car is unmodified and not wrecked.

halfspec

TDI
2012 Passat TDI
Shouldn't the extended roadside assistance cover the tow? Anything triggering the mil light should be covered under the warranty, and any dispute is to be resolved in the customers favor. As long as the car is unmodified and not wrecked.

Probably. I'll have to plead ignorance on this one as this is my first VW and I've literally only owned it for 1 week. Even though I've seriously considered a TDI for years and have lurked boards like this for ages, my knowledge or lack thereof of the ins and outs of VW's warranties is only based on a day of reading :'(

As things stand, I just rented a $50 auto transporter from U-haul and dropped the car off as planned. My wife and I loaded it last night and the turbo was obviously screaming it's funeral song and we BARELY got it up the ramps and onto the trailer. This morning the turbo was silent and the car had zero power. We had to push it over the trailer's built in 1/2" front tire chocks and let gravity take the car down the ramps. On level ground I was able to park the car.

Will update when they find out what the problem is.

Because of how violent the seemingly turbo related noises were I let the dealer know that IF it's the turbo, I expect them to check the immediate upstream and downstream components for debris.

Hoping for the best

Lane

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
What sort of dealer did you buy the car from? I wonder if they tossed in a non TDI oil in the customary oil change, you know to do you a "favor" before selling it.

halfspec

TDI
2012 Passat TDI
What sort of dealer did you buy the car from? I wonder if they tossed in a non TDI oil in the customary oil change, you know to do you a "favor" before selling it.

Didn't buy from a dealer. It was a semi-private deal. The company I work for has ~ (50) 2012-2014 Passat TDI's in their possession that were company cars for their execs. My company recalled the cars to its home office and issued new cars to their execs. Meanwhile they had all the cars sent in to have their emission recall work done. When they came back, they put them on an internal company auction. I got this one for $5800 with 72k miles on it.

Oil was changed at 72k miles per the sticker on my window and the level was good when I picked up the car, but I don't know if it was 507.00 oil that was on VW's approved list :confused:

Either way, I'm hoping the dealer would drain and refill the oil if they do replace the turbo.

Lane

forrest resto`s

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 jetta tdi auto rc2 2013 passat tdi 2015 passat tdi auto 2011 jetta tdi nav. s'roof..man. dpf delete 1970 GTO JUDGE 520 HP
edit..Answered! posted same time as mine..Well..we can assume the dealer is going to check the oil...and gas...and everything else:eek:.. and most likely find they cannot repair under a warranty:(..if there IS a warranty:p..depends on where it was bought (cpo?) and IF it has the emissions warranty..please give us updates... sorry this happened.. and sooo quick!

Last edited:

halfspec

TDI
2012 Passat TDI
edit..Answered! posted same time as mine..Well..we can assume the dealer is going to check the oil...and gas...and everything else:eek:.. and most likely find they cannot repair under a warranty:(..if there IS a warranty:p..depends on where it was bought (cpo?) and IF it has the emissions warranty..

Nothing to hide on my side. Vehicle is completely stock and we've only fueled it up twice and it was definitely diesel.

I don't see how the car could possibly fall through the cracks on the extended emissions warranty as the VIN shows the recall work as having been done on VW's own www.vwdiesellookup.com where it states "Vehicle (VIN) Included in Settlement: = YES, Modification Approved by EPA and CARB: = YES, Modification Completed for this Vehicle (VIN): = YES, and Vehicle has Extended Emissions Warranty: = YES." The extended warranty wording is also very clear that the warranty is "fully transferable to subsequent owners." If that's the case, I should be warrantied for 4 years or 72k + 48k = 120k whichever comes sooner and that includes everything fuel / exhaust related including the turbo.

https://www.vwdiesellookup.com/pdf/VWCourtSettlement_Emissions_Disclosure_Gen2_Automatic_Final.pdf

Even if that falls through I highly suspect I qualify for the turbo warranty extension bulletin VWP-14-04.

If they try and play games, I'll quickly lawyer up.

I've only seen isolated cases of VW contesting emissions warranty work. It definitely doesn't seem like a trend in the turbo failure thread. Is this really a common issue?

Lane

PS
Additionally from vwdiesellookup.com:

Extended Emissions Warranty Information*:

The vehicle has an Extended Emissions Warranty that runs for 10 years and 3 months or 123,000 miles from the original in-service date. Please see your VW dealership for additional information including the vehicle's in-service date.
In addition, and concurrently, the Extended Emissions Warranty runs for 4 years and 3 months or 51,000 miles (whichever occurs first) from the date of modification or first dealer resale post-modification. Your vehicle was modified on Oct 10, 2019 and 72,184 miles. Please see your VW dealership for additional information on the vehicle's post-modification dealer re-sale date.

Last edited:

forrest resto`s

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 jetta tdi auto rc2 2013 passat tdi 2015 passat tdi auto 2011 jetta tdi nav. s'roof..man. dpf delete 1970 GTO JUDGE 520 HP
More than likely you should be o/k..but it would not surprise me if they said wrong oil in car.. they probably will test the oil..They tried to fail me on the 3rd dpf because of "bad" fuel ( cost to repair .. around $2800.00)...persistence and knowledge prevailed...only concern if any is the oil IMO...

forrest resto`s

Veteran Member
TDI
Good news!! Please keep us informed

halfspec

TDI
2012 Passat TDI
Soo... After a week of waiting the results are in *drumroll

They're replacing the entire engine under the extended emissions warranty :eek:

That's coming from my service rep, so I don't know if that means short block, long block, or the whole shabam with some/all accessories.

His description of the diagnosis / repair process is that they tried replacing the turbo + downstream components (DPF I'm guessing) and the problems persisted, so after several other shots at fixing the issue they recommended replacing the entire engine under warranty and apparently it's been approved by VW America.

They're estimating it will be the week of Dec 2nd before they'll be done due to the short holiday week next week. Hoping to learn more when I eventually pick up the car. Maybe I can get in the ear of a mechanic that actually worked on the car to see if they have a guess as to where the issues originated. I'm guessing since they replaced the turbo, that it included a turbo failure.

I'll post more as I find out more.

Lane