bell type rattle at low RPM 2006 Jetta TDI

monkeytrader

TDI
Jetta 2006
I have as bell type rattle that I can't seem to narrow down. Sounds like a pulley being hit with a wrench intermittently during low rpm idle, all belts seem tight and pulley snug. Any thoughts?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
You sure it is on the belt end of the engine? Could be the DMF, which is on the other end of the engine.

Otherwise, the alternator one-way clutch pulley could be ready to blow apart and ruin your day.

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
I've never heard it myself, but I've seen some odd terms to describe the sound of a failing DMF. Something to the effect of a midget inside the bell housing with a hammer... A mechanics stethoscope (or a long screwdriver against your ear) might help locate it.

Barnitz

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
How many miles on the car?

My money is on DMF failing. I know you said it is an automatic, but the DSG transmission still uses a Dual Mass Flywheel.

It's a very common part to fail on the 2006. Unfortunately, with the DSG transmission, you cannot change to a Single Mass Flywheel.

Other guess - Something floating around in your oil pan? Drop it and have a look inside?

Chris

Veteran Member
A long time ago (on an '81 Dasher diesel) I had a transaxle-mounted exhaust bracket suffer a fatigue fracture. Since the rest of the exhaust stayed in place in spite of it the two halves of the bracket would hit each other at idle and make a ringing noise.
Very unlikely in your case, but easy to check for.