Pulled the trigger on a new 2012 Golf TDI!

samarai

TDI
2012 Golf TDI w/ tech pkg.
Well, after a bunch of reading & research on this forum, I went to a VW dealer in my area and ordered a 2012 Golf TDI w/ the tech package, 4 door manual transmission in reflex silver. Didn't take me very much convincing after having test driven the vehicle. Amazing car, I'm just hoping that this will be a long-lived vehicle as some of my past vehicles have been. The dealer didn't have the car that I wanted at first so therefore had to do a "swap" with another out-of-state dealer, and the car has about 170 miles on it. My car is going to be trucked in.I could've waited for a 2013 but from what I've read, the MK VII Golf is an all new vehicle and that includes the engine. I want to thank all of you that provided input and helped me make a decision on getting this particular vehicle. My only question is; should I start using a fuel additive for lubricity purposes as soon as I get the car? Also, anyone out there have a roof rack on their Golf? Was thinking about adding it from the dealership as soon as I take possesion of the car. I was also considering a skid plate...

Timujin

Veteran Member
TDI
14 T-Reg
Congrats on getting your car in the best color ever. I would have added fuel lube at the dealership on my car but they filled it up before I got my hands on it.

Last edited:

pknopp

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
I do use Power Service additive. Is it necessary? I'm sure there are thousands out there not using anything and racking up many miles.

I used it for the first tank (outside of the dealer fill-up). It's not much money if you buy it in larger quantities at a dept store.

Dariof

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW TDI
Congrats on getting your car in the best color ever. I would have added fuel lube at the dealership on my car but they filled it up before I got my hands on it.

Dealer filled mine up as well. I pulled out of the lot, parked down the street, and added Opti-Lube.

Have used Opti-Lube ever since.

specsalot

Veteran Member
TDI
Currently none
Congrats - Of course you must post a pic when you get a chance. Roof racks add aero drag. These cars can haul a lot with rear seats down. Additives are a big debate here. I don't think it hurts to use one. Some favor B2 blends. Some don't use anything. Lots of recommendations but not a lot of data on benefits. I use Stanadyne Lubricity Formula (Golf) and Performance Formula (Jeep).

I personally don't have faith in bio yet. I know this is an unsubstantiated illogical opinion, but I can't get past the idea of potentional methanol or water carry over due to process issues. A family member involved with a small bio plant start up had me vet vendor proposals. I was not impressed. Lots of bio-diesel plants have shut down.

Last edited:

RomanL

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 GOLF TDI
congrats and welcome to the family,

as far as 2013 models, its not confirmed that it will be MKVII,
im pretty sure 2013 is still MKVI

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
When I picked up my Golf I added a one-shot of Stanadyne in front of the owner of the dealership. He knows we're all wackos and just smiled.

nickeasy

TDI
Build date 2-11, 2011 Golf 6M 2D TDI
Opti-Lube XPD for me and the OEM steel skid plate as well. Just had my first oil change and service at 8875 miles. (My mileage has improved over the past 1000 miles.)
Congrats and enjoy!

TDI
2011 Red Golf 4dr DGS
Replaced OEM 17" tire and rims on my 2011 Golf TDI DGS

Replaced the OEM Tires and rims with 16" steel rims and 205/55R16 tires. So far I find the ride to me more to my liking (softer ride). Felt the original setup to be a little too stiff for me. Installed Continental Extreme ProContact DWS. So far am impressed with their ride and handling. This is my 4th VW Diesel.

mr.shooty

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI Gone. 2018 Golf R
Me too....

Just traded in a mint 05 Audi S4 sob sob....for a 2012 Golf TDI in Tornado Red (Audi was Red, so I thought it would be a fitting honor) My spouse started a new job with an extra long commute, and the time/price was right.

Its not my first diesel, being a Brit I've had plenty of Peugeot smoker experience, and became (unfortunately) quite good at fixing them. I have to say, I'm impressed with this little car so far.