www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Fuels & Lubricants

Fuels & Lubricants Discussion all about Fuels & Lubricants. synthetic oil, conventional oil, brands, change intervals, diesel grades, gelling and such debated items like that. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed. This forum is NOT for the discussion of biodiesel and other alternative fuels.

Old July 3rd, 2018, 13:00   #1
tonefrel

TDI(s): jetta
Default Subject: How to Choose the Right Oil Additive?

I have been trying to ensure that my car is as super powered as it can be. That isnít always easy Ė but I know that it is possible. How can I find the right oil additive that actually makes somewhat of a difference for what I want to be able to do? Are there options that are affordable and can I get them easily? Thanks for your help!
tonefrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2018, 15:19   #2
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Use the correct oil and forget about using oil additives. Best thing you can do. What exactly does "as super powered as it can be" mean?
Old July 4th, 2018, 15:52   #3
Ol'Rattler
Veteran Member

https://www.yahoo.com/news/bottled-m...805206027.html
Given that, the oil does nothing for performance. It's a VG idea to not believe the bogus claims made by some of the additive manufacturers.

Here is a short video about how an oil system does work.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rt_AWy4tsN0
Draw-Tite hitch
Dash Tray
Blue tint aspherical mirrors
Euro Cupholder
Euro Light Switch
2nd grocery hook
VCDS Hacks: DRL Disabled-Seatbelt Chime Disabled-Key fob Power Windows
Adjusted Cam to Crank Timing
Ol'Rattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2018, 11:21   #4
n1das
TDIClub Enthusiast
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Who cares? It's a DIESEL! Great fuel economy comes as a bonus!
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonefrel View Post
I have been trying to ensure that my car is as super powered as it can be. That isn’t always easy – but I know that it is possible. How can I find the right oil additive that actually makes somewhat of a difference for what I want to be able to do? Are there options that are affordable and can I get them easily? Thanks for your help!
OUCH! My eyes hurt from the bold font.

What will an oil additive do for the engine that a high quality diesel rated synthetic oil which your car requires cannot do?

The only thing that should ever be added to the high quality diesel rated synthetic oil in your TDI is MORE high quality diesel rated synthetic oil, to top the oil level off if necessary.

Simply use the correct synthetic oil that your TDI requires. There is no issue with "switching to synthetic" oil because the car came from the factory already filled with synthetic oil. Just use the correct oil and change it every 10k miles by the book.

Good luck and Welcome to TDIclub.
Ozone Precursors - https://sites.google.com/view/lorenmarz-ccm/home
General - https://sites.google.com/view/emissions-general/home
n1das is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2018, 18:30   #5
Ol'Rattler
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by n1das View Post

The only thing that should ever be added to the high quality diesel rated synthetic oil in your TDI is MORE high quality diesel rated synthetic oil, to top the oil level off if necessary.
Careful. someone might interpret that to mean if 4 quarts are good, 4 more quarts is even better because it will double your protection.
Draw-Tite hitch
Dash Tray
Blue tint aspherical mirrors
Euro Cupholder
Euro Light Switch
2nd grocery hook
VCDS Hacks: DRL Disabled-Seatbelt Chime Disabled-Key fob Power Windows
Adjusted Cam to Crank Timing
Ol'Rattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2018, 12:38   #6
tonefrel

TDI(s): jetta

Thank you very much for your kind response
tonefrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2018, 16:39   #7
TornadoRed
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonefrel View Post
I have been trying to ensure that my car is as super powered as it can be. That isnít always easy Ė but I know that it is possible. How can I find the right oil additive that actually makes somewhat of a difference for what I want to be able to do? Are there options that are affordable and can I get them easily? Thanks for your help!
This is the only oil additive I've ever used, and I noticed no improvements when I used it. Nothing wrong with it though.

'03 Golf with 730k miles: Bosio DLC 764, GT1749VB, PP 2.5" downpipe, Malone tuning, VR6/G60 clutch/flywheel, Bilstein HDs, Recaros, Akebono pads/Brembo rotors, Cat filter with Nicktane head, DG Panzer w/FMJ, Pirelli Cinturato P7 AS+, TDT/Delvac1
Like TDI Club? Got PayPal? Got $1 or $5 or $10? Contribution link on the main page.
TornadoRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2018, 12:36   #8
GoFaster
Moderator at Large

"The right oil additive" is "none".

Just use the right oil to begin with. Since the original poster does not specify which model year or engine, that cannot be answered with the information on hand.
GoFaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2018, 02:48   #9
AMGE36

Use German Engine Synthetic Oils or French
Never mix any additives to boost engine oil no way to go.
Use nanotechnology to treat engine metal only once a 50.000 km
Not use those magic engine oils like 5W50 or 10W60
Use only 5W30 or 0W30.
Worn engines burning every viscosities without any difference.
Tick oil damaging engines - very slow flow
Racing engines are built for extreme use big oil gallery and extream heat what allowed for use of very tick engine oils.
The engine needs a very fast flow of the oil to cool down and lubricating moving parts.
AMGE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2018, 04:00   #10
CleverUserName
Veteran Member

TDI(s): '09 Jetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMGE36 View Post
Use German Engine Synthetic Oils or French
Never mix any additives to boost engine oil no way to go.
Use nanotechnology to treat engine metal only once a 50.000 km
Not use those magic engine oils like 5W50 or 10W60
Use only 5W30 or 0W30.
Worn engines burning every viscosities without any difference.
Tick oil damaging engines - very slow flow
Racing engines are built for extreme use big oil gallery and extream heat what allowed for use of very tick engine oils.
The engine needs a very fast flow of the oil to cool down and lubricating moving parts.
Not true. I see this nonsense all the time.

Racing engines use thin oils now to minimize friction. NASCAR is all 20wt due to very tight tolerances.

At mild ambient temperatures there is a negligible difference between a synthetic 10w30 and 0w30. Oils with a low winter rating donít have any advantage until the ambient temp gets lower than 0F. If itís liquid and pumpable at a given temperature they will both flow at the same volume. 5w and 0w also have undesirable characteristics like higher volatility and are susceptible to viscosity loss due to shearing. A 10w30 will not have any of these undesirable properties.

Older engines, air cooled or extreme use need thicker oils. If you have a a 20 year old car or motorcycle specced with a xw40 or xw50 use it as they have looser tolerances or higher thermal loads and need thicker oil.

Many great oils made in America. Some mediocre oils made in Germany (liqui-moly) and France. Redline, Amsoil, TGMO and RLI are all American and they arguable make the best stuff out there....

As far as additives go:

I believe dry lubricants like Mos2 found in LM2009 do help with cold and dry starts. After an oil film is established this effect is negligible.

LM ceratec was proven to reduce friction when added to conventional 10w30 in a small gasoline engine.

Prolong, Bestline and other Chlorinated paraffins have been proven to work in providing a durable anti-wear coating on engines, however there is also evidence that these products can become corrosive and damage an engine if left in the sump for too long.
CleverUserName is online now   Reply With Quote