Ecu anti tamper bracket in the way

petee_c

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Golf TDI, was 06 Jetta TDI, 15 q7 tdi, was 11 Q7 TDI
I'm having a hard time getting my ecu back into its home on my 2006 Jetta tdi... Can I just grind off those screw heads?

Does the bracket serve any purpose other than ad an antitamper device for removing the connector?

Can I leave that top aluminum piece off?

I had to take the ecu out to trace some wiring.... Found a break in the wiring to my glow plug module.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

TGD

TDI
2004 A3 1.9 TDI BKC
What i did on mine was to saw/grind a groove in to the heads,then use a flathead screwdriver to get them out.
Well that's the theory anyway,mine needed a bit of "help" to come out.One i hammered round a few turns with a chisel on the outside of the screwhead.
The other i hammered about half a turn,then i could not get it to move any more.
They are fitted with loctite/threadlock so what i did on the last one was to hold a soldering iron against the head for probably 10 mins,that softened the loctite so much that i could easily screw it out with the screwdriver,no chisel needed.
So if i was you i'd just cut two grooves,give them a bit of heat if needed and then use a screwdriver.Then on refitting just use a couple of normal bolts.

petee_c

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Golf TDI, was 06 Jetta TDI, 15 q7 tdi, was 11 Q7 TDI
Thx.

I ended up using a grinder and just grinding the heads off.

I did not replace the bracket.

If you do this have some old wet towels on the windshield to protect it from sparks....

I have a couple faint marks on my windshield because I started out without the wet towels.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 2005 BEW Beetle, 2005 Jetta Wagon
There goes the warranty :):D

Last edited: