I just got pulled back in..bought CPO 2012

spanky1

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2012, platinum grey(6-spd manual)
Been a member here since ~2002 when I started shopping for my first diesel in a few years. I bought a new 2003 Jetta 5-spd. Still got it, and it's about a month away from 350k miles. It does have a lot of issues, and it could die at any moment. I drive ~80 miles round trip each day, so I need good mileage. As the end nears for this great car, the recent scandal had erased any thought that I'd be able to get another VW diesel. I was already shopping for a used Prius:( when I read a thread on this forum about someone getting a good deal on a used VW that had been "corrected" and was sent back to the VW dealer for resale.

Much to my surprise, when I started searching, I saw that these cars were starting to appear at the dealers. I quickly found a certified pre-owned 2012 Jetta (value-edition) 6-speed manual with 24k miles on it. It was the exact color of my 2003(grey). I negotiated monster mats and the cargo tray with blocks into the deal, and got it for $12,400. The 24-month, unlimited warranty sold me. I wasn't going to be able to get anything near this quality for that price. The CARFAX showed that it was actually sold at this local dealer, and the 3 service items were done here......then it ended up back at this dealer. Maybe that's normal. Hope I did ok on the price.

So, after thinking I was out of the TDI game, I'm back in for a few years. The value edition was pretty basic, but it's ok for a daily driver. I had a good working knowledge of my MK-IV, but this is a new day. I'm starting all over, but this forum is the place to be.

tdi54

Veteran Member
TDI
1981 Rabbit Diesel(sold), 2009 Jetta TDI MT(sold)2010 Jetta TDI MT, 2015 Jetta TDI SEL, DSG, 99 Ford F 350 PSD Dually, 2016 BMW X5 xDrive35d, 2016 535d
Congrats for your new Jetta...smart decision.

tdiinsc

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI, 14' Jetta TDI
Been a member here since ~2002 when I started shopping for my first diesel in a few years. I bought a new 2003 Jetta 5-spd. Still got it, and it's about a month away from 350k miles. It does have a lot of issues, and it could die at any moment. I drive ~80 miles round trip each day, so I need good mileage. As the end nears for this great car, the recent scandal had erased any thought that I'd be able to get another VW diesel. I was already shopping for a used Prius:( when I read a thread on this forum about someone getting a good deal on a used VW that had been "corrected" and was sent back to the VW dealer for resale.
Much to my surprise, when I started searching, I saw that these cars were starting to appear at the dealers. I quickly found a certified pre-owned 2012 Jetta (value-edition) 6-speed manual with 24k miles on it. It was the exact color of my 2003(grey). I negotiated monster mats and the cargo tray with blocks into the deal, and got it for $12,400. The 24-month, unlimited warranty sold me. I wasn't going to be able to get anything near this quality for that price. The CARFAX showed that it was actually sold at this local dealer, and the 3 service items were done here......then it ended up back at this dealer. Maybe that's normal. Hope I did ok on the price.
So, after thinking I was out of the TDI game, I'm back in for a few years. The value edition was pretty basic, but it's ok for a daily driver. I had a good working knowledge of my MK-IV, but this is a new day. I'm starting all over, but this forum is the place to be.
Id never been in the game until we got my wife her golf sportwagen (dsg) back in march. I was getting bored of my A4 and the surprisingly bad gas mileage. I just happened to find a 2014 Jetta TDI 6spd value ed (29k miles CPO) at a local dealer. I negotiated a few extras like all 4 new tires and factory rubber and mats for $1k more out the door than your price. Since i only got it a month or two ago, it already had phase 1 and 2 completed.

Since then i've installed the green diesel tune. With the tune i routinely trounce my wife's cars gas mileage. The surprising thing is that she has a 60 mile highway commute....well 85% hwy/15city and mine is 60% local/40hwy and we get the same gas mileage ~42 hand calculated. I of course get to enjoy a buttload more performance due to the tune :).

Last edited:

Lyons238

TDI
2014 Jetta TDI
I paid 14k for my 2014 premium sedan with 39k miles and with fender audio and factory rubber mats and the cargo blocks, new tires, new brakes, full tune up. Is this a bad price? it's done now but just curious.

tdiinsc

TDI
I paid 14k for my 2014 premium sedan with 39k miles and with fender audio and factory rubber mats and the cargo blocks, new tires, new brakes, full tune up. Is this a bad price? it's done now but just curious.
With your mileage, typical CPO selling price at the dealer is $15k. I'm honestly not sure if KBB is taking into account demand for this car, so in any case you got a good deal. Mine i believe being a value ed, with 6 spd and 29k miles was price right at what kbb said it would typically go for.

Lyons238

TDI
2014 Jetta TDI
With your mileage, typical CPO selling price at the dealer is $15k. I'm honestly not sure if KBB is taking into account demand for this car, so in any case you got a good deal. Mine i believe being a value ed, with 6 spd and 29k miles was price right at what kbb said it would typically go for.
awesome thanks for your info that makes me feel better! I also got them to put a new fender on it due to a slight pull in the lip of the fender and it has new rotors/pads, all 4 tires, all new filters, etc. so I'm pretty happy with it.

I'm just prepping it for winter now I have the following parts installed (some still need to be installed)

- Ross-tech hex-v2 VCDS
- Frostheater
- IDParts grill fronts
- Dieselgeek short shift kit
- aluminum shifter bracket bushing kit
- clutch stop
- plastic battery box
- black washers and coolant res caps
- p3cars digital vent gauge
- OEM rain guards
- 20% tint all around
- Deautokey complete interior LED kit
- Thule Aeroblade roof racks w/ fairing
- Painted trunk lip
- Powerflex 65a (street comfort) poly dogbone mount insert
- General Altimax Arctic winter tires

Still to buy:
- VW Interlagos 18x8 wheels (off the CC)
- KW v1 coilovers
- Malone stage 2
- GLI side skirts
- Front lip
- UU style bi-xenon headlights
- LED tails

So it's safe to say I'm well on my way to a OEM+ looking and driving daily. I also own a 336WHP 2014 WRX that has a lot of work to it done as well so I'm not going to crazy with this TDI but I do like a certain look.

tdiinsc

TDI
awesome thanks for your info that makes me feel better! I also got them to put a new fender on it due to a slight pull in the lip of the fender and it has new rotors/pads, all 4 tires, all new filters, etc. so I'm pretty happy with it.
I'm just prepping it for winter now I have the following parts installed (some still need to be installed)
- Ross-tech hex-v2 VCDS
- Frostheater
- IDParts grill fronts
- Dieselgeek short shift kit
- aluminum shifter bracket bushing kit
- clutch stop
- plastic battery box
- black washers and coolant res caps
- p3cars digital vent gauge
- OEM rain guards
- 20% tint all around
- Deautokey complete interior LED kit
- Thule Aeroblade roof racks w/ fairing
- Painted trunk lip
- Powerflex 65a (street comfort) poly dogbone mount insert
- General Altimax Arctic winter tires
Still to buy:
- VW Interlagos 18x8 wheels (off the CC)
- KW v1 coilovers
- Malone stage 2
- GLI side skirts
- Front lip
- UU style bi-xenon headlights
- LED tails
So it's safe to say I'm well on my way to a OEM+ looking and driving daily. I also own a 336WHP 2014 WRX that has a lot of work to it done as well so I'm not going to crazy with this TDI but I do like a certain look.
Sounds like quite the list. Only thing i want to do in the not so distant future is koni fsd's with prokit springs and sway bars...with the tune the car is fast enough for my daily drive.