TB Question for Auto trans vs manual trans

pugman

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta SW, 2003, Reflex Silver
The wife and I both have 2003 Jetta TDI's and I was wondering if VW (or someone) will come out with a TB that will last 100K miles on the auto trans? My Jetta is a 5/sp and the TB (I am told) is good for 100k while the wife's Jetta w/auto is only good for 80k miles.

I have searched the threads and found that the TDI's with an auto trans has the 11mm IP and the TDI's with 5/sp has a 10mm IP. Why the difference in IPs?

You would think that since both are 2003's and both are TDI's that the TBs should be the same as well and both last until 100k miles.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
As David said, both are rated at 100,000 miles...

Of course, that doesn't automatically mean that all the components in the timing belt pathway will last the full 100,000 miles... you should keep alert for any changes in sounds coming from the area (swishes, swooshes, chirps - dry bearing noises) that appear, especially towards the end of the duty cycle. As well, you should check the position of the tensioner on a regular basis (engine overnight-cold) to keep an eye on the belt stretch...

Yuri.

Got Haggis?

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf DSG
I recently had my timing belt replaced - I had a 2001 VW golf, so I assume it was the 40k belt (got it changed at 60k..ooops) anyway, got it replaced with the 100k kit....i noticed a new sound with the new belt..almost a whining sound...hope thats normal with these new 100k belts !!!!

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 5-speed, 563K Miles (July '23)
Got Haggis? said:
I recently had my timing belt replaced - I had a 2001 VW golf, so I assume it was the 40k belt (got it changed at 60k..ooops) anyway, got it replaced with the 100k kit....i noticed a new sound with the new belt..almost a whining sound...hope thats normal with these new 100k belts !!!!
__. Hey, Hag, is your Golf an auto transmission?
'

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 5-speed, 563K Miles (July '23)
Got Haggis? said:
yep, sure is.
__. Unfortunately, the change to the new belt came in in the middle of the Model Year so there's some chance that the orig belt was an 80K belt anyway. But, if there's any question, you were right to change it.

__. My '02 came with the 80K belt but when I had mine changed, we went to the full 100K setup. I'd go back to whoever changed your belt and have them check out the tensioner, rollers, etc. Mine DOES NOT make any kind of scratching, singing whining or whirring sound with the new belt. (I changed all rollers, water pump, etc. -- every part that touches the belt except for the toothed wheels on cam, crank and injector pump).
'