TDI in a Toyota pickup

cumminsfromthecold

Veteran Member
TDI
'84 Toyota 1Z 4WD x-cab
I am working on an answer to your question:
Would you have any info about Biodiesel's maximum temperature and pressure that it can withstand within the injectors?

You are conscientious enough to pull off running biodiesel in high blends in a PD. With no DPF to clean, maybe a fuel filter to 2 microns, regular/monthly water draining from fuel filter, sensitivity to cold weather, etc..., I bet you'd have few to no issues. I know of one friend who ran his '09 Sportwagen for 140k miles on pure B100 all the time; no mods. Fuel filtered to 30m. He lives in a relatively temperate climate. Avoid the complicated emissions controls and I think you'll be ok. That said, PDs are hardly my forte.

I can recommend Diamond Diesel in Sparks for pop testing - they verified that my PP520s were groovy, and they weren't biodiesel hating egomaniacs like select other shops in Reno area.

Wishing you great perseverance with the reconstruction. Let me know if you need a hand with anything. I could use some pedal time in the foothills- lotta snow here.

Last edited:

e*clipse

Veteran Member
TDI
Toyota TDI swap
Hi Wally!

Thanks for the tips! - no apologies necessary -:)

Sorry for the late replies - my web is down, and I have to go to town coffee shops to get to a web link.

Regarding the damage, I'm just trying to get to the bottom of it's cause. Nothing is off the table, even if it highlights my stupidity.... :p

One of those things, I'm learning, it to swap to the newer motor. It's requiring a lot more work than I expected. Fortunately, it appears the main issues such as adapting to the 'Yota transmission will be the same. It will require a new left side motor mount, wiring harness, and recombobulating the accessory mount. Oh yeah, then there's the extra expense that could have been avoided.

So, if someone want to do this for a "new challenge" - I'd recommend sticking with the 1Z and boosting the power some other way.

Thanks again for the tips,

E*clipse

Happy New Year, Everyone!

e*clipse,
My apologies, I did that thing that I hate when others do to me, which is read the last page and then pipe up with what I "know" about it.
I finally got caught up last night and that is a Huge bummer. Monday morning QB, I agree that your #2 cyl and piston are toast and I also agree that the heat caused your #1 and #3 scoring due to expansion.
Good luck with it.

Any reason, other than the new challenge, you don't put another 1Z in?

Anyways, best of luck with it.

e*clipse

Veteran Member
TDI
Toyota TDI swap
The fuel filter is a definite weakness in my maintenance program. I purchased a heavy duty fuel filter/water separator - a WIX 53698. Unfortunately, I can't find any info on line about it; they may have changed part #'s or something. Do you have any specific filter recs? I'd be happy to add a separate water separator, if necessary. I'm going to look into Amsoil's filters, they might have a good one. I'm using their oil filters for all my vehicles, and I'm very happy with them.

The weakness is that I didn't replace it as frequently as I should have. I did check for water - there's a water drain in the bottom of the thing. Since I never had any water drain out during those checks, I assumed everything was ok.

I'm sure everyone's hear that thing about assumptions...:rolleyes:

Some years ago, I attended a class about biodiesel put on by Springboard Biodiesel. I was able to dig up all the old notes and handouts from that class, and there's no mention of maximum pressure/temperature. So, this info may be pretty hard to find; it doesn't seem to be part of the usual ASTM specifications.

Thanks for the tips!

E*clipse

I am working on an answer to your question:
Would you have any info about Biodiesel's maximum temperature and pressure that it can withstand within the injectors?

You are conscientious enough to pull off running biodiesel in high blends in a PD. With no DPF to clean, maybe a fuel filter to 2 microns, regular/monthly water draining from fuel filter, sensitivity to cold weather, etc..., I bet you'd have few to no issues. I know of one friend who ran his '09 Sportwagen for 140k miles on pure B100 all the time; no mods. Fuel filtered to 30m. He lives in a relatively temperate climate. Avoid the complicated emissions controls and I think you'll be ok. That said, PDs are hardly my forte.

I can recommend Diamond Diesel in Sparks for pop testing - they verified that my PP520s were groovy, and they weren't biodiesel hating egomaniacs like select other shops in Reno area.

Wishing you great perseverance with the reconstruction. Let me know if you need a hand with anything. I could use some pedal time in the foothills- lotta snow here.