Having Post Injector Nozzle Swap Problems

jameswolfe

TDI
jetta, 1999, white
I have a late model '99 Jetta that after swapping the injector nozzles w/ Sprint 520s I made the recommended ECU changes of injector quantity & EGR but now when the car is timed to idle and run nicely it won't start cold just pumps out white smoke. Please help. . . is it getting too much fuel so that it won't fire up? How do i adjust the starting fuel quantities so that it'll start cold? Any ideas would be much appreciated

Darren_J

Veteran Member
TDI
MK 4 TDI
Is the timing near the top of the chart? Also make sure the IQ isn't too low. Try a number like 5 or 7 to start with and gradually bring it down to 3 or so and see if that helps. You are certain all nozzle retaining nuts were torqued evenly and clean?

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
Were the injectors/nozzles pop tested before they were reinstalled? They might be opening at too low a pressure, resulting in poor atomization of the fuel. I saw a thread on this subject a while back and it explained the problem pretty well.

Opening pressure too low --> Poor fuel atomization --> Harder cold starts.

Just my $0.02 worth.

~ n1das

jameswolfe

TDI
jetta, 1999, white
thanks for the advice, i'm gonna pull out the injectors, double check them and have them pop tested. Let ya know what works.