Wheel bore size issues??

jesus_man

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta (gone), 2002 Passat (gone), 2009 JSW (VW bought), 2010 JSW
I just bought a 2010 JSW to replace my 2009 JSW. Between the two cars, I have three sets of wheels and was hoping to be able to mount the wheels from the 2009 onto the 2010. But in an attempt to do that today, the bore size is significantly different.
Bottom for the MK5 and top for the MK6

But when I search online, there appears to be no difference unless the site I was using is simply wrong. Anyone confirm?
If for some reason, I have an odd setup, what controls this? The car has new brakes, but I have no idea the details.
Thanks!

jesus_man

Veteran Member
TDI
That is the site I was referencing, but clearly they are not the same. I was really hoping to use some wheels from my '09.

Curious, I measured my '09 with calipers and they are 57mm, but I don't have enough curiosity to pull a tire from the '10 to compare. That can be done at a later date anyway.

It would just be my luck to have an oddball hub for some unknown reason.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
Those are both factory rims?

I ask because it's not unknown for after-market rim manufacturers to take liberties with the specs... so that their rims can fit multiple cars.

jesus_man

Veteran Member
TDI
two factory, one aftermarket. But the factory wheels will not mount to the 2010. I have two sets of factory wheels that fit the '09. Only the larger bore aftermarket wheels will mount.

Wilkins

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta Wagon 5sp, 10 Sportwagen 6MT
My 2010 factory alloys seem to measure 57 mm with my P.A. plastic caliper.
My winter steel rims are off a 2012 Passat and they fit ok.
Any chance you just have corrosion on the hub?

I had always thought any 5x112 VW/Audi were interchangeable, of course on the wagen you have to fit over the brakes which needs a 16 in plus. Not a wheel mismatch issue, just brake size.

jesus_man

Veteran Member
TDI
No, looks like all the parts there are new (or at least corrosion free as it was a AZ car). I am 100% confident there is at least 1/4" diameter difference.

I am replacing my keyed lugs with standard ones soon. At that time, I will measure and see what it is.

My fear is that someone recently put on new hardware (Hub/rotor etc) from some unknown source and that changed the size of the hub?? I know the brakes are new. And the hub looks new as well. I am just unfamiliar with what dictates the hub size on these cars. It does not appear to be rotors.

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 GSW SE 6MT...... '01 Golf GLS 5MT.... '96 Passat Variant....
Did the new '10 come with the aftermarket wheels and, if so, did the centerbore adapter sleeves pull out of the wheels and remain on the hub snouts when you first removed the wheels?

This would be pretty apparent if the spacers were plastic as most are these days, but I had a case where the older aftermarket wheel centerbore sleeves where aluminum and visually blended perfectly with the hub snout.

Last edited:

jesus_man

Veteran Member
TDI
There were no obvious signs of an adapter. But it is something I will certainly look at soon...before I sell all my wheels. Thanks!

jesus_man

Veteran Member
TDI
Mr. Bell - you nailed it my friend. There was an adapter...in bright blue!!

I surely would have noticed that before, so I am hoping the one wheel I got off has an adapter that is simply aluminum colored and I missed it. But if it's blue, then it's a hard pill to swallow!

That's the good news. Bad news is, I still need standard ball seat lug bolts to mount the OE wheels up... Ok, so I at least have a direction!

Thank you! I'm certainly a novice to aftermarket wheels and techniques used to get them to fit.