DPF - How Hard Is It To Get Out?

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
Does the DPF require you to drop the sub frame? I'm interested in a DIY project, and I need to get the DPF out. Not sure if I should just pay to have it done or DIY it.

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf VI TDI, 77 kW (CAYC)
Depends on the car. For Passat B6 it is possible to take it out only by removing the right size wheel well.
Not sure about Golf/Jetta, you might want to check service manual for that as usually there is procedure on this. I'm afraid it will require dropping the subframe.

iamatt

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta 6 Speed manual
It's not hard , did one on my jsw on jack stands. First time was about 3 hours or so maybe a little more for full install. Just remove axle and use pry bar to help twist clockwise and wedge it out. This second time on my sedan should be alot easier since I've been through it before. I think getting the starter out of my duramax was way more difficult than getting the dpf out. You'll get it.

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
It's not hard..... Just remove axle and use pry bar to help twist clockwise and wedge it out. This second time on my sedan should be alot easier since I've been through it before.

To pull the axial, you remove axial nut and take lower ball joint off lower control arm.... is there more? Does it need to slide out of of transmission?

I replaced my struts and had to break the axial loose and hub from lower control arm, to get enough clearance to get strut out.

tdi54

Veteran Member
TDI
1981 Rabbit Diesel(sold), 2009 Jetta TDI MT(sold)2010 Jetta TDI MT, 2015 Jetta TDI SEL, DSG, 99 Ford F 350 PSD Dually, 2016 BMW X5 xDrive35d, 2016 535d
You can do it without lowering the subframe. I have done it several times. But as others indicated, the right axle should be disconnected from the transmission, no need to completely remove the axle..

iamatt

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta 6 Speed manual
3 foot pry bar helps quite a bit. Axle just needs to be unbolted 10mm triple square I believe it was. You can rotate axle out of the way by turning the tire or prybar. Also you can break the axle bolts loose by keeping wrench on the bit and turning the tire while wrench is pressed against the oil pan. Turn the dpf clockwise and it's going to take some encouraging. BFH and prybar would be good to have. Seems like the biggest hangup is the dpf bracket can catch the heat shield so press, bend, and smooth it up to the bottom of the car, create as much space as you can. My sensors were seized on this last install which made it a little bit trickier to get out.