Torn CV Boot Repair Options

To DIe for

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta
Howdy all,

My passenger side inner CV boot is torn and has been for quite some time. Being lazy (and cheap) I never did anything about it. The torn boots been slinging grease all over the heat shield, so I would imagine any grease thats left (if any) on the joint has spread pretty thin. Recently I started feeling some pretty decent vibration during acceleration (no noise yet).

Im looking to take care of this with the least possible downtime and of course cost. Also, I dont have the proper tools to do the job myself, so I'm thinking I buy the parts (OEM only) and pay my local front end guys to install.

Is it safe to say that the original joint is shot with said vibrations? I can get an OEM replacement joint w/ boot kit for about $100 bucks and whatever the labor costs. Problem is, my mechanic friend (non TDI) says that I should replace the entire axle because the outer joint would also be worn, and the shaft could possibly be bent. Raxles sells an OEM axle shipped for $250.

Wouldn't it be cheaper to install the only axle as opposed to the CV joint? Pay more for parts and less for installation?

Doc_Oc

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Golf TDI
There is more labor in r&r an axle by replacing the CV joint than just replacing an axle.
The shaft can't really be bent. I mean, it can, but not from the CV boot being torn.
Be careful with what part you are using as just a week ago there is been a thread with LOTS of people complaining about the Chinese axles vibrating bad from new.
In your case I am pretty sure that is only the CV that's done.
I'm a cheap bastard so I would replace the CV only. But I also do my own repairs. If you want to know whats cheaper you have to find out how long it'll take them to replace the CV on your own axle and how much the CV is, compared to how much is the whole axle and how much is to replace it.

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
Replace the joint and boot only. Replacing the entire axle is a complete waste of money and usually ends up with a POS china axle. An inner joint literally takes less than a half hour to rebuild.

I wish more people would realize how stupid simple it is to rebuild these axles, and that goes to some "mechanics" as well.

To DIe for

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta
Thanks for the replies gents, and thank for trying to inspire confidence turbocharged798. I'm not sure I could do the job with the limited tools I have (no air tools). Their are several write ups and even videos that I could follow. I'm very tempted to do it myself, but this is uncharted territory.

I'd be buying the parts from Autohaus AZ (pics: http://www.autohausaz.com/search/imageexpand.aspx?imageurl=../secure/PartImages/535498104.jpg ) I've received nothing but OE parts from them in the past so I have no reason to think that these would be any different. This kit is made by GKN Loebro.

Thanks again for the replies. I'll go ahead and order the CV joint. That'll give me enough time to convince myself I got what it takes to replace it.

Last edited:

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
I've rebuilt about a dozen Passat TDI axles using those GKN kits and it is not difficult, just messy. Hardest part is getting the axle out (and that's not that hard, especially with good tools.)

Doc_Oc

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Golf TDI
You don't need air tools. They are nice to have, but they are not needed for the job.
Just make sure you have the 12 point bits (triple squares) for the 6 bolts on the axle to tranny flange. And a 12 point big socket (I think 30mm).
Good luck.

Cogen Man

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI DSG.
No need to replaced the entire axle. Just the CV joint and boots. You can do this yourself. Enlist the help of a friend with beer and pizza. Beer only when the job is done. :D I tore a CV boot offroading a few years back. A large freezer bag and zip ties made a temporary repair on the trail. Crude but it worked. We know you can do this yourself, go for it. Get the grease on yourself up to your elbows, it's fun and it's a good moisturizer.

To DIe for

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta
lol @ grease being good moisturizer. Looks like I'll be ordering the CV joint + boot kit. Just when you think the job is too tough, the TDI club tells you otherwise..

Found this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yakgyl4Tht8 , documenting the removal of the axle from the car. Assuming the axles on MKIV cars are the same across the different platforms (Jetta/Golf---TDI/VR6), this should cover that aspect. Now to find out how to re & re CV joint from the axle.

Thanks everyone.

To DIe for

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta
Certain of it. I just had the alignment done after having some new tires installed. In fact, I can get the car aligned again under warranty for another 2 months, so this would be the perfect time to get this knocked out. FREE ALIGNMENT!

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
Not a hard job, just messy. I use gasoline to clean out the old grease.

Use OEM parts and don't give away that original axle at any cost...you will be sorry if you do!

Pull the axle, install a new CV and boot. If the outer needs a boot this would be a good time to replace it as well with some fresh grease and an OEM boot kit ($30).

The OEM kits are great and come with all the parts needed to do the job correctly.

Ton

Veteran Member
TDI
early 2001 jetta
Use a genuine VW axle the first time around and save yourself a lot of frustration. Personal experience.