6MT Failure

livkot

TDI
2011 JSW
New to the forum and Volkswagen. I have other vehicles but I wanted this one for the sole purpose of cross country treks this summer in the US.

I test drove a lot vehicle because the one I wanted was inside and did not want to bother the staff about pulling it outside. Nonetheless I liked the ride and feel so went ahead a purchased. They delivered the one I wanted to my business later that day.

Took the vehicle for its first drive the following day and when trying to engage second gear it would not. Could not get second gear to engage but all others worked fine. Continued driving and second gear was hit and miss and then finally no more second gear.

Dealer towed car, received call today a new transmission is required. Apparently forth gear was also damaged. Car had 110 miles when I purchased, either the test drives this vehicle was exposed to were from hell or I just got a dud. Hope this is not a trend to my first time experience with this brand.

Just thought I would share and say hello to the community.

Last edited:

CDG

TDI
2011 JSW
This is the first I've heard of the MT having problems. Hopefully it is just a one-off issue.

8k+ miles on mine so far without a hiccup.

Good Luck!

rameye

TDI
2011 JSW Manual
I shift mine without the clutch...it likes it! Alot smoother trans than the 95 Jetta.

ChuChu

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sedan
The shifter on my car was way out of adjustment when I picked it up. 2nd gear was only achievable only by putting lots of leftward pressure on the lever. Dealer wouldn't touch it so I adjusted the cable in about half an hour. Tranny has been perfect ever since (knock on wood).

livkot

TDI
2011 JSW
The shifter on my car was way out of adjustment when I picked it up. 2nd gear was only achievable only by putting lots of leftward pressure on the lever. Dealer wouldn't touch it so I adjusted the cable in about half an hour. Tranny has been perfect ever since (knock on wood).

I am a garage owner, been working on cars for nearly 20 years and this was my thought. I had no issues with grinding or synchros acting up. It would not engage whether moving or stationary, engine running or not. I looked under the air box to check if they were adjustable and sure enough they are. I could not get to the repair for a couple days and wanted the dealer to know about the fault straight away in case there could be warranty issues.

In hind site I should have waited, not comfortable knowing my vehicle may be missing a few bolts here and there when I get it back. Being in the profession I only trust myself.

nhdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 GLS NB TDI 5 Speed
Personally I would not have accepted a car that was delivered like that and would not accept it "repaired". It was a new car you bought and a new car you deserve, now you are getting a car with 100 miles that's had "major repairs". I would have insisted they replace it with another one, period. They can get a car for you, even if it is in trade from another dealer if they don't have one in stock. Certainly they could replace it before it will be repaired.

There is no reason to accept it, I'd have insisted they replace it, but that's me. I'd ask to speak to the owner of the dealership and insist the car be replaced with another NEW car.

Your intuition about "bolts being left off" is spot on. Dealers have been reported to screw up oil changes, imagine what they can do replacing your transmission.

Last edited:

Madorski

Veteran Member
TDI
'11 GSW 6MT
Well, nobody is perfect and although I'm new to VW ownership, I'm not new to the business or the world of the stealership (I was a Toyota partsman for a number of years until I moved to heavy equipment...)

I had a 2007 Tacoma 6MT fail at 2K. It happens, right?

Given the volume produced there is always a chance of failure. That being said, when someone asked me the mileage on my Taco I would sometimes jest that the tranny was the newest part.

skinnyb

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI
Hopefully it is just an anomaly. I turned 31k on mine and have loved I immensely. I put on a DG short shift kit as well and it makes it even more enjoyable to drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rameye

TDI
2011 JSW Manual
After 200K of clutchless shifts my ole girl (jetta III) never complained....but alas you may be right...this is a different animal.

Old habits die young..

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
Believe me, I was sorely tempted to shift without the clutch when I got my first TDI as that is the way I was used to driving my (much) larger past vehicles.... but it just is not a prudent practice.

Bill

IT_LBS2

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf Wagon TDI
Hopefully it is just an anomaly. I turned 31k on mine and have loved I immensely. I put on a DG short shift kit as well and it makes it even more enjoyable to drive.
wow... I did the exact samething, on my TDI wagon. I'm at 31,xxxkm and love my DG SSK.

livkot

TDI
2011 JSW
My wife and I talked and neither one of us are comfortable keeping this car or doing the trips we had planned in it. Again this was the only purpose for its purchase, we each already have daily drivers.

Will talk with the general manager tomorrow to see if they will buy back or find a replacement. Dealer only had the one MT so perhaps they can locate one elsewhere. Over the past five years I have purchased three custom ordered BMW's from them so perhaps that might help.

Can anyone confirm for me if the transmission repair will show on carfax? Almost certain it will show on the dealer service history if someone checks but uncertain about carfax. My concern is for when and if the time comes to sell. Certainly this can hurt resale value.

dpg

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI, 2010 JSW - retired
i had a brand new 2003.5 infinit g35 coupe that had a new tranny put in at 12k because of bad syncros and it didn't affect my resale value

nhdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 GLS NB TDI 5 Speed
My wife and I talked and neither one of us are comfortable keeping this car or doing the trips we had planned in it. Again this was the only purpose for its purchase, we each already have daily drivers.

Will talk with the general manager tomorrow to see if they will buy back or find a replacement. Dealer only had the one MT so perhaps they can locate one elsewhere. Over the past five years I have purchased three custom ordered BMW's from them so perhaps that might help.

Can anyone confirm for me if the transmission repair will show on carfax? Almost certain it will show on the dealer service history if someone checks but uncertain about carfax. My concern is for when and if the time comes to sell. Certainly this can hurt resale value.
It probably won't hurt resale value, but the car was only one day old - some states have a 3 day "cooling off" law that allows you to return a car and only pay for the miles you put on. You didn't say which state you are from but I think NJ and CA both have that law. I wouldn't ask, I would simply tell them you won't accept the car, PERIOD. It would be different if it failed in a couple of weeks, but come on, on the first day?

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I wouldn't worry about the transmission replacement or the resale value. Decide whether or not you actually want this vehicle and go from there. I wouldn't be worried about taking long trips in it... this transmission issue should not be an indication of long-term reliability.

Pillow

TDI
2010 MK VI JSW TDI
I concur with VeeDubTDI. If you like the car keep it.

This is the first issue I have heard of with a new tranny.

FWIW my 6 speed has been great... Never tried the clutchless shift on this car.

nhdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 GLS NB TDI 5 Speed
I'd ask those people who say "keep the car" this question:

If you went to a dealership and were offered two "new" cars for the same price, one which they had just replaced the transmission in and one which was "factory fresh" which would you choose?

If it was the factory fresh one then why should the OP accept the other? He's facing having to wait now, probably at least a week to get the parts to do this job. PLUS, he might not actually be getting a NEW transmission (since transmissions are usually core exchange rebuilt) so he could be getting a new car with a rebuilt tranny in it. I'm guessing that in order to get a NEW one they would have to air-freight it over from where it is made - any "on the shelf" units would likely be rebuilt.

And I wouldn't believe them if they said it was new.

The only way I would ever accept that car is if the dealer either offered me the same discount he'd have to offer any buyer now that it is "stigmatized" or included something like the platinum extended warranty to entice me to keep it. I'm guessing that with full disclosure the dealer would have to take at least 10%/$2500± off of the price to entice someone to buy a car that's had major surgery like this one.

This is different than saying in a year or two the car won't be worth any less than it would be without this on its service records...I still say that as a used car with 50K miles on it nobody would be overly concerned about the repairs made when it was still new...but the OP bought a NEW car ONE DAY ago and now has to accept one which he very likely would never have bought had he known yesterday what he knows today.

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Now we're just speculating and scaring the OP.

If you're worried about a rebuilt trans vs. a new trans, then ask the dealer which one it will be. If it's a rebuilt one, tell them to go pound sand. If it's a new one, tell them to throw in the best extended warranty they possible can - for your troubles.

livkot

TDI
2011 JSW
To provide an update. My concern mostly with the transmission replacement is that the vehicle will no longer be "new" is the best I can describe. The unknown mishaps or missing bits during its install is also of concern. I do not doubt the reliability of the replacement and am certain I just happened to be the poor soul who purchased a rare defect.

The dealer has agreed to replace the vehicle and has already procured its replacement that is due to arrive on Saturday. Same color and options so I guess all will be well. I will put this episode behind me and move on to maybe actually driving my new car.

Thank you all for the inputs and suggestions, this is a great board unlike all the internet bullies and children over at E90POST. Thank you all.

Ed

scurvy

Good Ol' Boy
TDI
2006 Golf
Dealer towed car, received call today a new transmission is required. Apparently forth gear was also damaged. Car had 110 miles when I purchased, either the test drives this vehicle was exposed to were from hell or I just got a dud.
Sounds like a dud from the factory to me. I wouldn't worry about it, VW's manual transmissions are typically very long-lived. Personally I would have been fine with a replacement transmission but if the dealership offered to replace the car and you feel better about it, drive more / worry less!

FWIW, I wouldn't expect this sort of magnanimous behavior in the future from VW. ;)

I shift mine without the clutch...it likes it! Alot smoother trans than the 95 Jetta.
This is such a bad idea... you have a clutch and synchronizers for a reason. Please use them the way they were meant to be used.

DAV0320

TDI
2010 Golf TDI
T

The dealer has agreed to replace the vehicle and has already procured its replacement that is due to arrive on Saturday. Same color and options so I guess all will be well. I will put this episode behind me and move on to maybe actually driving my new car.
Nice!

dpg

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI, 2010 JSW - retired
To provide an update. My concern mostly with the transmission replacement is that the vehicle will no longer be "new" is the best I can describe. The unknown mishaps or missing bits during its install is also of concern. I do not doubt the reliability of the replacement and am certain I just happened to be the poor soul who purchased a rare defect.

Thank you all for the inputs and suggestions, this is a great board unlike all the internet bullies and children over at E90POST. Thank you all.

Ed

glad to hear that the dealer worked with you on this and is making it right!

nhdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 GLS NB TDI 5 Speed
Sounds like a happy ending after all, good luck with the replacement! It's great to hear a dealer that actually did the RIGHT thing for a customer for a change.

JetPuf

Veteran Member
TDI
White '98 Bug, Gray 2010 GL350
I'm impressed that the dealer stepped up to the plate. That's awesome!

I will say that missing bits really wouldn't be an issue. the transmission if replaced with a rebuilt unit would be rebuilt from a VW center. it's not like your local dealer would have their hands in the thing. My hunch is this transmission will be returned to VW and rebuilt and end up in a car as a reman.

We had an issue with our car that the dash had a gash out of it at delivery. Although not part of the drive train, we simply requested the dash be replaced. end of story.

Finally we don't even know what issues each car has coming out of the factory and which get set aside for fixes before they get to dealer lots or even the keys in our hands. cars can be dented and repaired in factory and still considered new.

warbird24

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI
I am currently looking at a 2010 Golf TDI that had Transmission noise. The repair attempts are on Car Fax and the dealership also has VW Documentation that their tech center repaired the car using a new transmission from Germany.

My hesitation in the purchase is the "branded" title this car will have in NY State saying that it was a buy back. Even with all the documentation in the world the next owner or next dealer may not make a good offer on trade in.

meowguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW, 2012 Passat TDI SE
They delivered the one I wanted to my business later that day.
I believe you should have asked for a new car. I learned some years ago the hard way, when buying a new car, always drive the actual car your buying befor handing over any money. Even if you special ordered the car, you still have this right.