Straightening out the bends.

Peter Cheuk

Gasser :P
TDI
'06 Jetta GLI
On my '98 Jetta TDI, I've noticed that the path from the turbo to the intercooler and back make several hard 90 degree turns. I realise that these are a necessary evil because of the flexing of the motor mounts but something can be done to reduce or eliminate the 90 degree bends that are there.

Any ideas? I was thinking of getting some stainless steel tubing and having a pair of custom tubes made but this can prove expensive.

M

mickey

That would help, I'm sure, but looking under the hood of my NB tells me they crammed everything in there as tight as it can possibly be. There's simply no room for "fancy" plumbing.

-mickey

Peter Cheuk

Gasser :P
TDI
'06 Jetta GLI
But, Mickey, you have a New Beetle. One of the world's most cramped engine compartments ever. On my Jetta, there's enough room to remove the intercooler tubes and replace the intercooler with an underhood mounted one ala New Dimensions' turbo kit. I just want to get a more efficient intercooler/plumbing in there to help matters a bit.

RAUCHEN

Peter-

I have some excellent literature from Allard
Engineering in England on a conversion kit
they did on an A3 Golf TDI (European) with
auxilliary intercooler and all stainless
custom tubing. I have some pricing estimates
on the aux. i/c, but the stainless tubing
I don't know about pricing on. I've had
the same idea for quite a while, but lack of
time and money has prevented any action.

Baaahhhhhh boo-hoo.......

Keith

Veteran Member
Its more important and cheaper to optimize tubing that doesn't caryy boosted air, such as the tubing from the air filter to the compressor, and the downpipe. In my opionion, the downpipe is worse than the intake plumbing (Sooty would agree).

Maybe I should remove the belly pan and put an intercooler from a Freightliner in its place. Imagine how long it would take for that tiny turbo to spool up.

Keith.