2009 TDI towing

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Mercedes E250 Blutec. Previously: 2006 Jetta TDI
Valley Hitch goood

ssamalin said:
I got a Valley hitch for my 06 sedan from Uhaul. They are about to install it. I hope they don't mangle my bumper too much or whatever else they can mess up. I'll let you know how it goes.
Somebody said they had the other hitches and got a Valley and it fit much better as far as rear bumper clearance and aerodynamics.

HekaweJohn

Hitch Experience

I installed the Draw-Tite 24752 hitch on my 09 Sportwagen. It is a much better design than than other 2 point mounted hitches also mentioned in this forum. It mounts on the left frame member with a single bolt, on the right frame member with two large nuts and bolts and a third arm mounts to the tire well. It is made of very heavy steel with extra reinforcing steel bent at a right angle to prevent excessive flexing.

I have been very sensitive to the performance of this hitch as a similar one (also from Draw-tite) partially ripped out of my 01 Golf last year. The fault was partly mine for not checking the hitch weight (it was 220#) before departing from the factory with my new Scamp trailer.

Over the past 2 months I have hauled my 1900 pound, 13 foot Scamp trailer around 3000 kms without any issues. However,before departing, I now very carefully weigh the hitch using a bathroom scale to ensure that I am between 175 and 185 pounds.

Just subsequent to installation I marked the hitch at specific points to see if anything would move during and so far, it is as solid as I had hoped it would be.

Inititally I installed Firestone Air shocks (advertised specifically for the JSW) but the Firestone quick connect air system is very flaky and prone to leaking. I have since torn them out and replaced them with the hard rubber spring spacers that fit between the spring coils (two in each spring). This not only lifts the JSW up slightly, preventing most hitch scrapes but it keeps the rear up higher when the trailer is mounted. I will leave them in as it doesn't affect ride quality as much as air springs.

Since the trailer has electric brakes I ran 10 gauge wiring (12V and ground with a 30A fuse) from the battery to the rear trailer jack. I tapped wires from these through a small hole under the driver's side floor to attach to an inertial brake controller. I ran the wires (inside plastic flexible conduit) along the brake lines and then up and over the rear suspension to the trailer power jack.

Overall the hitch is solid and I am now confident enough to prepare the whole rig for a 12000km trip this fall.

As an aside, I average about 30 mpg (canadian) pulling the trailer with the 2.0 litre TDI. The engine is a mule and pulls this weight almost as if it weren't there. Very impressive.

John Sloan

vMINIdub

TDI
09 Jetta
We just took delivery of our '09 sedan. I purchased the Draw-tite 24752 Sportframe Hitch CLASS I from olbeasthitch.com - lowest price I found anywhere. Price includes a draw bar. FAST service! I ordered Thursday evening and it arrived this (Monday) afternoon - using standard shipping - and it's already installed. :D

NOTE: The packing list stated that part #24752 has been discontinued and replaced by part # 24838. I have no idea if there is any physical difference between these two part numbers.

As far as the installation, I had one minor issue. There are some mounting brackets on the passenger side - where the instructions say to lower the fuel vapor canister (apparently for gasoline engines) - and the rear-most bracket was definitely in the way. After much pressure I squeezed the hitch passed the bracket (bending the bracket and scratching the powder coat off of the hitch in the process) and got everything into place. Otherwise, things went fairly well.

I also modified (cut) a slit in the plastic underbody panel so I could reinstall it. It fits very well and looks "planned." I'm pleased.

Unfortunately, the draw bar on my bike rack doesn't insert far enough for the pin to insert. Only about half of the hole is aligned. It looks like I'm going to have to cut about 1/4" off of the end of the bike rack draw bar.

Last edited:

HekaweJohn

Draw-Tite

Interesting that the Draw-tite 24752 I ordered seems different than the one pictured above. The one I installed and have had good success with is identical to this:
https://www.redtrailers.com/ShowItem.asp?id=24752 or
http://www.etrailer.com/hitch-2009_Volkswagen_Jetta+SportWagen.htm

Notice the three point mounting system; left frame, right frame and tire well. Also note the right angle bend on the leftmost mount just left of the receiver. This gives improved strength when the hitch twists due to the weight. Also note that it is made of square tube not round which would add strength when the hitch flexes.

Curt has now implemented a three point mount (11072) but it lacks the right-angle bend and used a round-tube rather than square making it decidely weaker in my opinion. (according to previous posts their two point mounted hitch was very weak)

I would only use the two point mounted hitch for a light load such as a bike rack.
John Sloan

vMINIdub

TDI
09 Jetta
Interesting, the Draw-tite #24838 that I received has drivers' side and wheel well mounts like the the photos of their #24752, but the passenger side mount is now much more similar to the Curt 11072.

vMINIdub

TDI
09 Jetta
Uh oh. I just found that part #24838 is $90 CHEAPER than the #24752 on Redtrailers. :eek: Now I've got a beef. :mad: I'm going to see what olbeasthitch.com will do for me with regard to their Best Price Guarantee.

For simplicity and speedier visual comparison I've included below the images of the parts we've been discussing. I can't find any online photos (just a drawing) of the #24838, but to repeat - it is the same as 24752 except for the mount on the right (passenger side) which is very similar to the Curt below.

Draw-Tite #24752:

Curt #11072:

Draw-Tite #24838 (Drawing):

Last edited:

vMINIdub

TDI
09 Jetta
Good news! olbeasthitch.com issued me a credit and honored their Best Price Guarantee! Again, fast service - Don has been very responsive. I have nothing but great things to say about them. ...and NO, I'm not affiliated in any way - just a happy customer. :)

jogousa

TDI
2009 Tdi SportWagon
DrawTite

I installed DrawTite 24752 hitch on my 2009 VW Tdi SportWagon and wired Modulite 119190 at the end utilizing rear cargo cigarette plug as a source of current so that you don't have to run a wire (+ positive) all the way from the battery. This installation works perfect. However, I have the issue with bottom of the hitch hitting the road here and there, especially going over the speed bumps on parking lots. Someone mentioned earlier using some Firestone rear springs modifications or rubber spacers. Anybody out there to suggest a good rear springs/shocks stiffening products to avoid the bottom hitting the road?

HekaweJohn

spring stiffener

I have used the Firestone airbag spring stiffener on my 09 JSW and wouldn't recommend them. The longest I could get them to hold air was about 2 days. So I cut them out and replaced them with Coil Spring Stiffeners (spacers, adjusters etc) and find that the ride is very good (better than the airbags) and it prevents my hitch from bottoming out (except when it is connected to the trailer). They are simply a notched hard rubber spacer of which a pair are inserted between a coil on both springs. Here is an example (I used the 1-1/2" tall version):-
http://www.jegs.com/p/Mr-Gasket/Mr-Gasket-Rubber-Coil-Spring-Spacers/747385/10002/-1?sendroiad=3875028731&sendroikwd=Coil%20Spring%20Spacers&gclid=CIL8xb_7yZwCFSXyDAode0HILA&sendroicid=bbef8492-2d00-41d6-b158-38db0de2603c

John Sloan

Beardrick

TDI
2009 Platinum/Anthracite Jetta wagon
I Installed a HiddenHitch and Airlift kit # 60739 in my 09 JSW. Installation was straightforward, and the air bags have been holding 10 pounds for 2 weeks now with no loss. Ran the tubes out the bottom of the spring perches and through the lower suspension arms. Encased the exposed 3" of tubing in vinyl fuel line to eliminate abrasion issues. I like the ease of adjustment, and the minimal effect on ride/handling when driving unloaded.

7racer

TDI
09 JSW
Beardrick said:
I Installed a HiddenHitch and Airlift kit # 60739 in my 09 JSW. Installation was straightforward, and the air bags have been holding 10 pounds for 2 weeks now with no loss. Ran the tubes out the bottom of the spring perches and through the lower suspension arms. Encased the exposed 3" of tubing in vinyl fuel line to eliminate abrasion issues. I like the ease of adjustment, and the minimal effect on ride/handling when driving unloaded.

Beardrick...

where did you get the airlift kit from?

is this the same kit?
pretty inexpensive!
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001G9B5CQ

Last edited:

Beardrick

TDI
That's the one! Got it from an Airlift dealer / spring shop here in Calgary. Of course, being in Canada, had to pay duty & currency exchange rate etc. etc. etc.

vMINIdub

TDI
09 Jetta
7racer said:
Beardrick...

where did you get the airlift kit from?

is this the same kit?
pretty inexpensive!
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001G9B5CQ
According to Amazon, this kit won't fit the '09 Sedan. The search doesn't seem to pull up one that does fit.

We've also had some issue with scraping when we have a load or on severe grade changes that I don't approach from an angle.

Beardrick

TDI
Yeah, there is no listing in the catalog for our vehicle. What I did was email airlift. they told me to measure the inside height and diameter of the spring at normal ride height (7.5 and 3.5 inches), and they came up with the kit number. You have to figure out the hose routing yourself, as the kit is technically for another vehicle. My wagon's hitch was dragging on driveway exits with 4 people in it. Fine now!

Tim$2

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW
Beardrick said:
That's the one! Got it from an Airlift dealer / spring shop here in Calgary. Of course, being in Canada, had to pay duty & currency exchange rate etc. etc. etc.
Which shop? Maybe I need to roll by there...

Beardrick

TDI
Standen's on 11 St just north of 58 Ave. They got them in, I installed...

jogousa

TDI
2009 Tdi SportWagon
Air Lift

Good info. Just purchased Air Lift from Amazon's website (no tax + free shipping) after several exchanges of emails with Air Lift tech support. That P/N (60739) is actually for Toyota Sienna but will fit coil springs with 3,5 " diameter 7,5" high. Will install it myself.
2009 Tdi Jetta Wagon manual @ 6800 miles.

Last edited:

jogousa

TDI
2009 Tdi SportWagon
VW Tdi Towing

bigdreama said:
My wife and I are considering a new TDI JSW and I have a small single rail trailer that I tow my BMW motorcycle on. The dealer salesman said the new TDI's had a towing capacity of 1400 pounds. I looked at the literature and the website but I saw nothing about a posted tow rating so I e-mailed VW directly. I specifically asked about the 2009 TDI Jetta Sportwagen and here is their response:

Well, that makes sense, from their point of view. Pretty standard in this country where suing each other is a national pastime....same as malpractice lawsuits! I would not worry much, what they say. In Europe, Canada and here (the land of plenty) one can tow whatever is legal on the road. VW did not say that it is illegal, did they....

Kriesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
has anyone looked into other euro style bumpers such as Witter?

Here is a link for the mk5 bar from witter

May be too expensive, but looks like another great candidate... Today (19OCT09) the price of £321.00 converts to about $525. They also offer wiring harnesses and such... Look at the installation pdf on that link as well...

Last edited:

darkknightTDI

TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
tow cap?

Sorry, possible that I missed this. Anyone know the official tow capacities of 2009 TDI with DSG? My parents recently gave me a small pop-up style camper. It is only about 800lb, however I'd like to toss other stuff in there for a trip. Would loading the vehicle down matter?

Rather Be Biking

Veteran Member
TDI
09 JSW Manual
darkknightTDI said:
Sorry, possible that I missed this. Anyone know the official tow capacities of 2009 TDI with DSG? My parents recently gave me a small pop-up style camper. It is only about 800lb, however I'd like to toss other stuff in there for a trip. Would loading the vehicle down matter?
Was 1,500 lbs. VW just sent out a mailing lowering it to 1,000 lbs. You choose. Tongue weight limit is still 200 lbs.

darrenf

Veteran Member
TDI
09 JSW TDI Black/Black, Pano, Avignons
FWIW, the German specs list the tow capacity of the wagon at almost 2 tons (with a european towbar) so this is probably VW being overly cautious. I've towed about 1500. YMMV.

-darren

gjslutz

TDI
2010 JSW
With my Westfalia bar I had my car trailer, total weight 2180 LBS loaded. I made the hitch weight @ 90 LBS. The little 2010 JSW did very well on the first test drive. The car was pulling strong @ 90 MPH, the trailer was tracking fine. I feel it will be very safe at all normal speeds. I would think 65 MPH should net 25 MPG.

aje28

TDI
2009 TDI JSW
I'm glad I found this post as everyone else was having issues finding specs...so was I.
I have a 2009 JSW and plan to install a Class I hitch.
We need to tow back a small piano(upright) from my Wifes parents house and with that being 700lbs I should be ok. We plan to rent a small covered Uhaul trailer and center the piano over the axel to reduce the tongue weight. I think overall with the trailer, piano, other boxes, suit cases and the Great Dane(130 lbs) in the back we will be close but not over the 1500lb weight mentioned above.

Holler at me if anyone sees this as an un-doable task from NY to Dallas.
I'm definately interrested in seeing the MPG difference....at least it will be flat for a lot of it

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
You want to have a 10% or so tongue weight without exceeding the limit. It is dangerous to not have the trailer set up properly. You need the piano far enough forward of the center of axle to get to the 10% or so tongue weight you need. At 1500 lbs you should have around 150 lbs tongue weight.