Want buying advice/Tech advice

PompeoD

TDI
None - VR6
Hey, I'm new to the forum, so please excuse me if this is posted in the wrong place.

I currently drive a 2000 GLS VR6 Jetta (my baby is about to hit 200k) and just recently was presented with the opportunity to pick up an '02 TDI. Here's the rundown:

2002 VW Jetta GLS TDI with 206k miles
Upsolute Chip-tune - 115HP with 185ft-lbs torque
Single owner bought car new in December 2001.

Head rebuilt @~180k miles - Timing belt go boom
Timing Belt @ ~180k miles (change due at 280k)
Suspension replaced @ 200k miles
Clutch replaced @ 190k miles
All vaccuum lines replaced @ 190k miles

Damage:
Transmission and Engine Brackets need to be replaced, along with a bunch of other single-use bolts
No Normal wear and tear on interior
Small dent on hood/fender corner
Lower plastic trim in front is a bit torn up, but not too bad

Additional work that should be done, but not necessary:
Intercooler could probably be cleaned to increase MPG
Turbo actuator should be replaced (says the turbo loses pressure 'sometimes')
Turbo Actuator valve should be replaced

Now - About the damage - he basically said this: The aluminum brackets that hold the cradle to the body are 'basically single-use' and that backing out the mounting bolts has a good chance to strip the theads (clutch replacement - reused same bolts), which did on the driver's side, when he went over a bump the other bolt on the driver's side sheared and 'everything dropped like 2 inches'. He said he doesn't think that there is any irreplaceable damage and that me - being semi-mechanically inclined, could do the work myself. He said the vehicle can be had for 1.500 as-is.

He's run Pentosin 5w40 through it consistently and I know I've seen a lot of huff with what oil should be used and wondering if anyone has a say in this.

My questions are:

• Has anyone had experience with this happening and if it's just as simple as replacing the brackets and single use bolts?
  • Should I be worried about the oil he's been running?
  • Difficultly of doing the rest of the work?
  • The timing belt has failed before (head rebuilt) anything to look out for?
  • Any other specific TDI buying tips I should know?
Thanks for the help.

Crankous

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta wagon GL 5speed w/Panzer FMJ, 2005 B5.5 passat auto, 2000 Golf 4 door 5 speed
1,500 bucks! THat is a smoking deal. Barring any rust. Take it! It is a pretty common problem for mount bolts to break if the doh doh head who did the job didnt replace them. The mounts really arent "one" time use but they are not good at multiple re-torques. Most trusted mechanics here will put steel inserts in them around the 180k timing belt change. or replace them. http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=378792

The work associated with repairing what is broken is not that difficult. It takes some time, so do research and order parts before you dig in... But since its not your primary vehicle at this piont... score!

Just better hope the person who didn't replace the bolts isn't the same one who did the head work :)