PD cam inspection photos, opinions sought

tdwesty

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Jetta TDI GLS Spice Red, 1.6TD Westy
Tonight I did a closer inspection of my cam, and was pleased with what I found, but since this is my first TDI, I'd appreciate it if a few experienced PD folks could confirm what I'm hoping: that this cam is just fine.

All the chamfers appear to be intact, and I don't see any unusual wear patterns. Photos are here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/vwdiesels/2004JettaCamW190kKms

Thanks!

vwjettadsl

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
TDI’s
Of all the pictures the one that I am concerned about is pic #4 of the #3 exhaust lobe.

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
Of all the pictures the one that I am concerned about is pic #4 of the #3 exhaust lobe.
Same here. It looks as if it is wearing, with most of the chamfer worn off at the lobe tip. But the photos could be misleading. Good photos, one of the better jobs I have seen of taking cam pictures.

You say it is not worn sharp? No galled or rolled knife edge? Unless there is actually more chamfer than I can make out in the photo, it does not have a lot of life left in it.

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
I agree with DanG, that #3 exhaust needs a closer inspection.

feel for a sharp edge at the very tip as you slide your finger over the edge where the chamfer should be. that wear pattern on the tip across the face of the lobe is also concerning.

tdwesty

Veteran Member
TDI
Same here. It looks as if it is wearing, with most of the chamfer worn off at the lobe tip. But the photos could be misleading. Good photos, one of the better jobs I have seen of taking cam pictures.

You say it is not worn sharp? No galled or rolled knife edge? Unless there is actually more chamfer than I can make out in the photo, it does not have a lot of life left in it.
Thanks, I used a 1:1 macro lens, but the hard part is getting in close enough for a decent shot and still have room for lighting. I fear this might be the love I detected a bit of sharpness on the first time I looked, so I'll see about getting some better photos tonight.

coalminer16

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 2004
Honestly it looks good to me. If you are concerned check at your next oil change. If nothing more has changed then wait even longer.

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
I figured he was inspecting as part of his next TB change. I would not worry about driving it 20k miles (or even 40 kmiles inspecting once or twice), but would be surprised to see it last another 100k miles.

tdwesty

Veteran Member
TDI
I figured he was inspecting as part of his next TB change. I would not worry about driving it 20k miles (or even 40 kmiles inspecting once or twice), but would be surprised to see it last another 100k miles.
In my case, that's another 2-3 years at least, so I think I'll leave it and check with each oil change. Here's 3 more slightly better photos (this one and the next two):

http://picasaweb.google.com/vwdiesels/2004JettaCamW190kKms#5525138978588738850

Those cam lobes are tricky to get a decent photo of! Thanks for all the advice.