B5 BHW engine in Europe?

got4g63

TDI
05 Passat TDI
I was planning on taking my 05 Passat TDI to Spain Europe, but was told that the BHW engine was not sold in Europe. I also called a friend who lives there and he told me he found a few of my 05 2.0 engines.

Any one know if VW made a 2.0 engine for Europe and a different 2.0 for USA? Or are they all the same?

BioPassat

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 VW Passat GL TDI
They are different. The version over there is a 16 valve version with a manual transmission. We have an 8 valve version with an automatic tranny. I'm sure there is more...

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2005 TDI GLS, RIP
From what I understand the BHW motor is a morphed mix of parts from the VW parts bin. The head is from all the TDI 1.9 that also made in the 2004-05 model years here and the bottom end is simular to some skoda (another VAG product) sold in Europe. I really think that if you took a BHW over there it would not be a big deal to techs there because they work on very simular motors there all the time. The main reason why the BHW was specified in this country has to do with pollution controls and our automatic transmission fixation or so it seems. In Europe Passat TDI cars could have a manual shift transmission.

Last edited:

Wobbly

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat Wagon
If you intend to do much touring in Europe, a turbodiesel VW or Fiat-based camper might be ideal. Deutsche EBAY usually has many at auction.

owr084

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat GLS, 2005, Stonehenge Gray
Now, if you really wanted to make your Passat more valuable when you bring it back to the US than when you left, you could replace the
auto tranny with a manual transmission...

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The BHW engine was not sold in Europe. Similar engines exist, but not identical.

Why you would want to drag an American-spec VW to Europe is well beyond my comprehension. They have FAR better offerings.

Wobbly

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat Wagon
oilhammer said:
The BHW engine was not sold in Europe. Similar engines exist, but not identical.

Why you would want to drag an American-spec VW to Europe is well beyond my comprehension. They have FAR better offerings.
For US Military, Foreign Service, or Civil Service, transportation of a US-spec vehicle to and from the duty station is free.
When I worked for the Navy in Madrid, we shipped a brand new Westfalia from Bayonne, NJ to Cadiz. When we picked it, up someone had keyed the length of one side. The only way we could get the propane tank filled was to remove it from the vehicle. Some previous tourist had left his engine running while his propane tank was being filled at a service station. After the explosion, CAMPSA, the state petroleum monopoly, banned its stations from filling propane tanks. While parking at Plaza Espana in Madrid, both our mirrors were stolen. Despite these few negatives, the camper was fantastic for touring Europe.

Last edited: