Malone Stage I Tune and Clutch

ieracer

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS TDI
Decided to go with a Stage I tune when replacing MAF, and a bunch of vacuum lines. Nice with the injectors, for about a week. Clutch started slipping, and ... it was time for an upgrade here too. Really like the tune, great low end and on a few tanks where I have just done all freeway and not stomped the pedal, have gotten a little better mileage than the stock tune. Always get near 50 or at 50 mpg. Last fill I calculated 52. THIS is why I am still driving the old TDI.
Did the Ventectomy also, filled at 710 miles.

03TDICommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
01' NB, 5spd
Good news! I've been going back and forth whether to get a stage 1 tune or not. I just turned 350K on original everything except already have a new valeo clutch.

Who did your tune for you?

VWVan

TDI
05' Jetta Wagon TDI
I have the 1.5 Malone tune and the clutch on mine is slipping too. I think its the original clutch with under 200K kms on it. It doesn't slip off the line, but more in the higher gears, ie passing on the highway. Wondering what people suggest. I have no other mods except the tune. THanks.

Kevinski4

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Decided to go with a Stage I tune when replacing MAF, and a bunch of vacuum lines. Nice with the injectors, for about a week. Clutch started slipping, and ... it was time for an upgrade here too. Really like the tune, great low end and on a few tanks where I have just done all freeway and not stomped the pedal, have gotten a little better mileage than the stock tune. Always get near 50 or at 50 mpg. Last fill I calculated 52. THIS is why I am still driving the old TDI.
Did the Ventectomy also, filled at 710 miles.
Stage 1 tune is NOT for use with larger injectors. You are are likely exceeding safe boost levels. Luckily your injectors aren't huge. I suggest you contact your tune installer or Malone if you did it direct with them.

ToxicDoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, S7, .216
I have the 1.5 Malone tune and the clutch on mine is slipping too. I think its the original clutch with under 200K kms on it. It doesn't slip off the line, but more in the higher gears, ie passing on the highway. Wondering what people suggest. I have no other mods except the tune. THanks.
You should start your own thread. Your options are 1. revert to stock tune, 2. be gentle with the accelerator pedal, 3. upgrade your clutch.