High Speeds

YBZ

TDI
2002 Jetta
I've read a few posts now where the driving speeds listed are 70-90mph on the highway. I've always been of the understanding that a diesel is happier at lower revs. 90mph must have the tach needle around 3000+. Is the TDI actually comfortable at these rpm's?

What is the top speed for a Jetta TDI? (Factory limited)

TDIinTX

Veteran Member
TDI
These cars are designed by the militant, hell-bent, determined, anti-semite, humorless Germans who enjoy the nirvana of a highway with no speed limit. That have not and will not ever design an engine that your right foot is capable of destroying. Rest easy, my friend, and go ahead and stand on it. You're not going to hurt anything.

BTW, people will say "diesels love this" and "diesels don't like that"... They're not dogs, they don't have feelings, the only thing they like is fuel and oil, and if you are very careful about those two things everything will be pennywhistles and moonpies.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Our TDIs are thoroughly modern, German diesels, and are more than capable of speeding along at high speeds for extended periods of time. I have even driven my "old" '91 normally-aspirated Jetta at 80 MPH for hours on end, this after it already had 200k miles on it! 315k and still going strong! And the TDI, well, I think if it were legal and safe to do so on our roads, that car could cruise at 100 MPH all day long and not break a sweat

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
90 mph is about 3200 rpm. I had fun with a base gasoline Jetta today: I am driving along at 85+mph, and the Jetta acts like it wants to mate with the rear bumper on my car, so I change lanes and repeat the favor for the Jetta, Jetta driver stomps it, so do I, whooeee Upsoluted TDI vs stock 2.0 gas she let off at about 120 mph.

It was fun....oh acceleration rate is not fantastic in this range, but the TDI will still accelerate into oblivion or 5200 rpm whichever comes first.

C Brown

Veteran Member
>>Jetta acts like it wants to mate with the rear >bumper on my car

You mean you didn't soot him?
That position would make me wish my fuel wasn't turned down so low.

With my NA diesel I would have went into forth to the floor to accomplish his..

Regards
Happy Sooting
CB&Stoker

coolsio1234

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta Tdi, 05 Passat Tdi, GL320 CDI
I took my 97 Passat with Chip and big injectors to 205 on my trip last night to airport in seattle.. .Wow I must say 120 - 180 accell is lighning fast... Is this thing ever strong!

Smoke is not as bad as I imagined

Lightman

Veteran Member
I've yet to see anyone with a tdi really be able to 'soot' anyone. It's all relative I guess. Sooting with a tdi means shooting a little puff of smoke at them I guess. In my E300 if I haven't gotten on it in a while, I can floor it and leave the person behind me in a dense, huge trailing cloud of black smoke that lasts at least 30 yards. It would make some semi's jealous

I read of a guy with an older mb diesel, 240d I believe, who could downshift and overrev the engine and send a few QUARTS of wet, unburned diesel fuel onto the front of the car behind him. Now that's revenge! Imagine their windshields wiping oily diesel fuel.(yikes, imagine their paint if he was running b100!)

Pater

Banned
Originally posted by Speedracer:
I motion that we take away Pater's pic posting priveliges. That pic is obscene!!

P.S. does it fit in a golf?......

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">

what picture?

[ October 17, 2002, 20:45: Message edited by: Pater ]

tdi1fun

TDI
2015 TDI GSW DSG
The Tdi Loves Top Speed. Out here in the back woods of Maine we have alot of flat open streches of highway with nobody on it, including cops. I had Mine up to 135 and it was still climbing (although very slowly).

eetsoot

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2002, galaxy blue
I love my tdi at 100 mph. Going up the 5 to SF, I was playing with a Boxter. He chickened out a 130 and I chickened out at 135 but the car was still pulling for me. I think he was suprised a Jetta could go that fast. Unfortunatly I removed my TDI label months ago. Imagine how suprised he would have been if he knew I was a diesel!

As for sooting people. I can't do it running Arco lsd but when I bought fuel in Reno, it was James Bond. Of course I'm chipped and have the IQ all the way up. Advancing the timeing really cleaned up my exhaust.

As for the four valve diesel. When I bought my car I was looking for economy. I was really interested in a hybrid but fiqured a simple two valve engine would probably be more dependable. Besides diesel is a tried true long running technology. I feel a lot more comfortable with my TDI then a 5 valve or variable cam setup. Having Vagcom and reading this page has aslo put my fears of the ecu to bed.

Derrel H Green

Top Post Dawg
TDI
An '05 MBZ E-320 CDI (W-211) replaced the '10 TDI JSW
Originally posted by gedster:
I love my TDI at 100 mph. Going up the I-5 to SF, I was playing with a Boxter. He chickened out a 130 and I chickened out at 135, but the car was still pulling for me. I think he was surprised that a Jetta could go that fast. Unfortunately I removed my TDI label months ago. Imagine how surprised he would have been if he knew I was a diesel!

As for sooting people. I can't do it [if I'm] running Arco ULSD, but when I bought fuel in Reno, it was James Bond. Of course I'm chipped and have the IQ all the way up. Advancing the timing really cleaned up my exhaust.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">

Gary,

What does 'IQ' mean as you have used it here?

Is that what you did to mine that day at the GTG? It will not smoke at all on ECD-1.
When I get the larger 0.184s installed, we'll see!

When you were at 135 mph, did you have a chance to glance at your tachometer? Seems like 4665 rpm would be pushing it? I let off the other day at 120 mph because I was afraid of over revving mine.

Am I being too cautious?

[ October 16, 2002, 21:52: Message edited by: WVWSP61 ]

snoopis

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS TDI, 5spd
Once when I was in Germany last year I drove a Ford Sierra diesel (ugh). I was cruising at about 180-190km/h, but I noticed that when I slowed down the engine actually got louder. At the time I did not know that I was over-revving the engine.

I haven't really noticed in my TDI, does it get quieter as you go "fast," or only if over-revved?

itsmejerry

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI Nav, 2015 Passat SE TDI, 2015 Beetle Convertible TDI, 2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI All Phase 2 Emission Modified complete. 50 State Legal Diesel!
Driving the TDI at speeds over 85 is very possible. Driving the TDI over 250,000 miles is also possible.
Doing both is highly unlikely.

In the game of Golf--- you can drive for distance.. or Drive for altitude... but you cant do both.

The same holds true for the game of Jetta, and the game of Passat.

625,000 on an 89 Jetta diesel.. and It never went over 70 mph.

dm123982

I bought my 2002 TDI because of a recent trip to Germany. Multiple cars I rode in were VW Golf TDIs, including a taxi. The cars were routinely driven at 105-110mph for extended road trips. It seems thats what the car is designed to be able to handle. I can relay that the Golf TDI at 100+ is very stable and capable. Can also can brake very effectively when someone cuts you off.

wkendrvr

Veteran Member
TDI
tdi
Originally posted by Pater:
Originally posted by Speedracer:
[qb]I motion that we take away Pater's pic posting priveliges. That pic is obscene!!

P.S. does it fit in a golf?......

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">PATER or MUDDEONE? They are one in the same...

snoopis

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS TDI, 5spd
Originally posted by Uberopihi:
This summer in Europe I got a chance to drive a few Golf's and an Audi A3....all TDI's.

It is real nice to look down at 200 kph.......but none were the 90HP TDI we get over here.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Unfortunately I did not take the time to check out the A3 while I was there. Is it worth the extra cash over buying a Golf??

txg60

Just to comment on Gedsters drive..just came back last nite from running up to SF via the 5....I don't think I got below 75mph the whole way up...constantly between 85-95mph the whole way...still got 45mpg avg roundtrip...amazing to be able to cruise for 5.5+ hours and not have to exit the car...and still have over 1/4 tank gas left..

gleep

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
On my last trip across Nevada I was able to cruise at 100 to 110 mph. The Golf is rock steady at these speeds. This was not on the interstate, it was on a state road that is actually 'lonelier' than highway 50 which is advertised as the 'loneliest highway in America.'