Lumpy idle ?

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI Comfortline 6spd
Currently drive a 2010 Golf Wagen TDI and not sure what to make of it.
Doesn't happen all the time and I'm sure by now I've experienced a regen or two as I've only had the car a month.
Seems to happen while stopped at a set of lights and when I get home the fans continue to run for aprox ten mins after.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I've also noticed a slight drop in fuel Econ just before??
Normal??

Softrockrenegade

Veteran Member
TDI
None...2011 Golf DSG (replaced by VW W/) 2013 Passat SE 6M(bought back) Current 2017 sportwagen TSI 4Motion.
Yes normal !!! Just the regeneration cycle of your DPF in action . You will also notice the fans running after you turn the car off if in the middle of a regen.

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Thanks guys, wasn't too woried about it.
I've had two ALH's but the CR is all new to me and still learning
Love the Golf in a six speed

specsalot

Veteran Member
TDI
Currently none
Yep. Wife drove 150 to visit the grand daughter. I rode with laptop plugged into VCDS hoping to catch / log a rolling passive or active regen - no luck. A 10 mile drive at our destination shortly after arrival - VCDS disconnected - found the unit went into an active regen (which of course got disrupted). On the way home, I drove and bagged the whole idea (for now) of capturing regen data.

Softrockrenegade

Veteran Member
TDI
None...2011 Golf DSG (replaced by VW W/) 2013 Passat SE 6M(bought back) Current 2017 sportwagen TSI 4Motion.
It never fails, I drive 20 miles on the highway, but it decides to do a regen when i pull in the garage. It knows man, it knows.

It's beem programmed to always be interrupted so you have to buy a new dpf every 40k :p

engineered2win

Veteran Member
TDI
MkVI Golf TDI
Yep. Wife drove 150 to visit the grand daughter. I rode with laptop plugged into VCDS hoping to catch / log a rolling passive or active regen - no luck. A 10 mile drive at our destination shortly after arrival - VCDS disconnected - found the unit went into an active regen (which of course got disrupted). On the way home, I drove and bagged the whole idea (for now) of capturing regen data.
I don't see how you can capture a "passive regen." A passive regen occurs as a byproduct of running at clean points on your fuel map. The main fuel map the engine uses once it is warm is tuned to produce low soot around the cruise region. You are performing a passive regen any time you get the DPF above ~400*C and are producing less soot than you are burning off.

Active regens switch to a different fuel map and add Post 3 fuelling, which is an injection event occuring so late that the cylinder is already in its exhaust stroke.

Last edited:

specsalot

Veteran Member
TDI
Currently none
Thanks for the info. The passive mode isn't well explained. On the road trip, I'm sure I was in passive regen a good portion of the way then. There are a number of different active regen's (mileage, DPF DP based, calculated loading). I was hoping to see one observe one of them.