Cabin filter replacement

volvopunk

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 New Beetle TDI
yep, impex sells mine for $16.21.

I might tack it on with a larger order some day.

From what you guys have experienced, does it make a big difference in air quality in the vehicle??

Or kill the musty "i just turned off the AC" smell??

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
You can get them from the NAPA stores too. Not the charcoal one though. The AC stink is easy to fix. Take the plastic cover off. Saturate the filter with lysol spray, scented if you like and run the AC on recirculte for 30 minutes or so. ALL GONE. It kills all the offending bacteria.

volvopunk

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 New Beetle TDI
It's not terribly healthy though to inhale concentrated lysol. It's designed to kill anything living.

one time a mouse died in my heating ductwork of my apartment, and I sprayed lysol into the blower fan, and got fairly sick from the lysol vapors.

MileageDude

Veteran Member
The AC stink is easy to fix. ...
Not by your method dude.

You have a condensation hose that drips condensation from the evap system onto the ground. You have to lengthen the hose on the evap system from the A/C to drop further away from the engine compartment where it can kick up and collect odor and humidity into the the in-take system. If you elongate the evap hose it will drop further and farther from the recir system and not collect odor.

Now? Do I read smart or experienced? That's a question by the way.

Simple fix but if you like bath room fart odor spray by all means, spray at will.

M.D.

jasonTDI

TDI
Hello? You don't sit in the car......some peoples kids......

jasonTDI

TDI
[quote
Simple fix but if you like bath room fart odor spray by all means, spray at will.

M.D.

[/QUOTE]

You haven't been to the store in a while....It comes in several scents. You can do your trick, it miht help, it might not. Haven't tried it. If you spray it you save having to remove the condensor cover to clean that. The "lysoled" air still passes the same place and will kill the bacteria.

volvopunk

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 New Beetle TDI
[quote

M.D.
You haven't been to the store in a while....It comes in several scents. You can do your trick, it miht help, it might not. Haven't tried it. If you spray it you save having to remove the condensor cover to clean that. The "lysoled" air still passes the same place and will kill the bacteria.

[/QUOTE]

So you mean to tell me you let your car idle for 30 minutes?

I can't bring myself to do that...

jasonTDI

TDI
Yep, and it's no worse for the ware.....some many paranoid people here. If you guys think the turbo is going to fail, you either have a crappy oil, bad oil pump, or plugged return line for the turbo or a combination of all. It may pull a SMALL amount of ol in the process, but I just cleaned the intercooler again at 55K and in 25K had maybe 2 table spoons worth in the intercooler.