2014 passat buy or not

ramvw

Veteran Member
TDI
98 jetta 96 passat wagon
I am looking to replace my 98 jetta and a 96 b4 wagon. Wife hates the b4 which only has 210,000 on it and the 98 is an east coast car..RUSTED.. but runs like hell but is pushing 500,000 miles. I found a 14 passat sel premium it is a dsg car. Wife is happier with the auto. The car has 12,000 miles on it and asking price is 21,000 car is really clean. Not sure if it's a.good price or not. My mom has a 12 passat which has almost got me to hate vw. Car is junk. Software issues with head unit affecting nav.and radio. Been throu h 2 turbos. Left her on the side of road twice with major coolant loss. Dealers and vw both turned their backs on the problems
The car has 59,000 on it. My dilemma is I have never had better vehicles tHan vw diesels. All of mine are pre 07. I have no experience with anything newer yet alone a newer passat. I would like to hear opinions on whether or not to purchase this vehicle

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
I am looking to replace my 98 jetta and a 96 b4 wagon. Wife hates the b4 which only has 210,000 on it and the 98 is an east coast car..RUSTED.. but runs like hell but is pushing 500,000 miles. I found a 14 passat sel premium it is a dsg car. Wife is happier with the auto. The car has 12,000 miles on it and asking price is 21,000 car is really clean. Not sure if it's a.good price or not. My mom has a 12 passat which has almost got me to hate vw. Car is junk. Software issues with head unit affecting nav.and radio. Been throu h 2 turbos. Left her on the side of road twice with major coolant loss. Dealers and vw both turned their backs on the problems
The car has 59,000 on it. My dilemma is I have never had better vehicles tHan vw diesels. All of mine are pre 07. I have no experience with anything newer yet alone a newer passat. I would like to hear opinions on whether or not to purchase this vehicle.
Sounds like you answered your own question. Engineering decisions/design flaws/QC on the NMS Passat, and in CR TDIs in general, can be a real nightmare for some, perhaps many, owners.

rwolff

Veteran Member
TDI
None yet
With the uncertainty, $21k sounds like way too high. After all, there may be a mandatory buyback, and you'd be up a very smelly creek without a paddle if you paid more for the car than you had to sell it back for a few months later.

ramvw

Veteran Member
TDI
98 jetta 96 passat wagon
I understand problems can and will happen. I have friends who bought a tdi car because of the issue free cars I had. They had bought cars with issues. 2002 and 2005 jettas.owned from new. We all know some of the problems are the dealers unable to support these vehicles. So even with the reported problems I figure there would be more reliable cars than ones with issues that couldn't be fixed.
Thanks for the info on the buyback. That was one thing I never considered.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
You're asking. Although we've had NO issues with our car (see sig) in 40K, except for an NOx sensor replaced under warranty, at this time I would say: NO.

ChadS99SVT

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI DSG
No way I'd buy a VW now or in the future.

Done with this company.

That being said if you must 21k is overpriced in this market. Nobody is buying these cars. I'd offer them 15k tops.

StevesTDI

TDI
2009 & 2010 Jetta
Done with this company.
I have two of these rigs and I can say I'm sold on VW. Love the cars and the ease of working on them if needed. All manufacturers have their problems and VW is no exception. :)

Jedadiah

Veteran Member
TDI
Former: '15 Passat TDI SE 6M, '15 Golf S 6M and '10 JSW
In 5 1/2 years, I've only had to put an O2 sensor on our JSW and we've had zero issues with out '15 Passat. I think forums tend to exaggerate the problems that cars have. When we have problems, we want others to know, and when we don't, we smile and motor on.

MichaelSNU

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL Premium
Done with this company.
That being said if you must 21k is overpriced in this market. Nobody is buying these cars. I'd offer them 15k tops.
Agreed. Want my TDI SEL for 17,500?

eric9603

TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium
I love my 2014 TDI SEL. Probably my favorite car ever for a daily driver. I do about 90 miles round trip, Monday through Friday. Bought it brand new and have 45k miles on it. Zero issues other than the heater core, but that was covered 100% by VW. Love the rare fill ups and excellent fuel economy. You really can't beat the rear seat and trunk space either. Extremely family friendly. When dieselgate gets sorted out (and provided they resume selling TDIs) I will absolutely buy a newer one to get the new technology like Apple CarPlay.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
im crazy loyal to VW, even joked with the sales rep on the test drive about how much work I have to do 50-100K down the road to keep it reliable :p
But I wouldn't pay over 15K for that car- its largely unchanged from your 12 model year. If we were talking about a EA288 2015 id say 20K is high but possibly worth it.

Drnknmnky13

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf 5spd, 2014 Passat DSG
In 5 1/2 years, I've only had to put an O2 sensor on our JSW and we've had zero issues with out '15 Passat. I think forums tend to exaggerate the problems that cars have. When we have problems, we want others to know, and when we don't, we smile and motor on.

^^ This

2012 with 105k. Replaced DEF heater at 90k.