Coolant Question

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
And how to propose I test that if the color goes nearly flat ? Other than replace/flush often ?.
A. Check the expansion tank for signs of corrosion related debris/sediment.

B. Use an inexpensive multimeter to test the conductivity of the coolant.

C. Use an inexpensive hygrometer/coolant tester

D. Have a garage do any/all of the above if you are not capable.

wyrosjr

TDI
2013 passat se tdi 6m white
I just did a PH test on my 2013 passat. It was way off and between 6/7. The color was weak. I don't have any heater core failure symptoms yet. Based on my research so far, it looks like dexcool is the most compatible cheaper alternative. I'm going with it.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I wouldn't use dexcool personally. I've heard way too many dexcool horror stories.

wyrosjr

TDI
I've heard those stories too, so I investigated. Turns out it involves a substance that they no longer put in the dexcool but was in early formulations. I will only be be buying the dexcool clones anyway. If I am to change the coolant frequently, might as well be cheaper. The PH for dexcool is closest to ours and the oat technology is similar.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
G12++ and G13 are HOAT. I'd spend a few bucks extra for the better and specified coolant. Just my 2 cents.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Hybrid Organic Acid Technology? HOAT coolants contain silicates unlike OAT coolants. Some are cross compatible, while others are not. I see no need to reinvent the wheel. The chemical engineers at BASF know far better than we do.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
In a 300 hour test of OAT coolant in a Ford engine designed for HOAT coolant, the water pump impeller and backing plate were seriously damaged by cavitation corrosion. I won't be playing the guinea pig with my engine.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
cheap coolants and cavitation is a real danger, my friends 6.0 power stroke died due to holes from the water pump strait into the oil passageways dumping all the coolant into the oil, then loosing the lower end. Quick Google search of cavitation will keep G13 in your VW real quick- although http://www.peakhd.com/product-lines/final-charge/noat-extended-life-coolant-antifreeze/ is a very close second for modern diesels. My friend who is a Honda guy owns a JSW and we put Hondas teal colored HOAT coolant into his TDI last month.

wyrosjr

TDI
Alright, I have found some OAT extended life antifreeze from zerex. It's called zerex extended life and specifically mentions diesel use. link is here:

http://www.valvoline.com/our-products/antifreeze-products/zerex-extended-life-antifreeze

Based on my research, the PH is much higher for this product than our G13. This might help it last longer. I'm looking into compatibility before I pull the trigger. Hopefully bobistheoilguy will help out.

Last edited:

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Alright, I have found some OAT extended life antifreeze from zerex. It's called zerex extended life and specifically mentions diesel use. link is here:

http://www.valvoline.com/our-products/antifreeze-products/zerex-extended-life-antifreeze

Based on my research, the PH is much higher for this product than our G13. This might help it last longer. I'm looking into compatibility before I pull the trigger. Hopefully bobistheoilguy will help out.
That Zerex product is HOAT. Be sure to flush thoroughly first if you decide to use it.

BPofMD

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SE
Lots of Ford 6.0 diesel owners have drained and flushed their Ford Gold coolant (similar to the VW stuff) and replaced with Cat ELC. (RED)

PaulB

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE M6
coolant change on this car is a huge PITA. first I parked on a 30% incline then I pulled the lower hose that's actually half way up, drained & refilled then pulled the return line off the expansion tank and routed that into a bucket and started the engine while adding fresh coolant, after 2 quarts the return fluid was dark pink and new.
Can the system be re-engineered to handle more frequent drains and flushes, by installing drain valves at low points, and so forth?

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Can the system be re-engineered to handle more frequent drains and flushes, by installing drain valves at low points, and so forth?
Yes. I have put tee fittings made to facilitate flushing on other vehicles. They typically go in the heater core hoses underhood. Any auto parts store should carry them.

JessTDI

TDI
2001 JETTA GLS TDI
Evans coolant?

Hi, I'm new to this site and probably not posting this in the right place, but I couldn't figure out where else to do it,lol. I was just wondering if anyone has used Evans coolant in their Jetta TDI and if it is better for the car. I have a 2001 Jetta GLS TDI that i bought a few weeks ago and was thinking about switching to Evans. I'm a delivery driver and I know my job puts alot of strain on the car and I'm trying to do anything I can to make it last. Does anyone use Evans and think its better than regular antifreeze?

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
Forget about Evans. just use VW spec coolant OEM Part Number: G013A8J1G. Hopefully that is what is in your cooling system now. If not it should be.
It is all ready better then as you say "regular antifreeze"

Last edited:

JessTDI

TDI
2001 JETTA GLS TDI
Thanks, I'm not sure what kind is in it now because it has whatever the guy I bought it from was using. I've never owned a VW before and didn't know there was a specific type to use till now. I'm trying to learn as much as I can about the car so I can take care of it. So far, I love the car though! Just not used to the loud sound of a diesel yet,lol.