Trade In ...forget-about-it

afarfalla

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat sedan and 05 wagen
Tried to trade my 2015 Passat SE TDI on a 2016 Camaro SS, because of diesel-gate the dealership wasn't interested I was told to sell it myself :mad: So I left :) the nerve!

dropnosky

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta 6 speed, 2012 Passat DSG
until there is an actual recall this is a waste of time.

Its like trying to take a leak with the toilet seat cover down, and hoping your results will be different with the lights off.

Last edited:

jimbo1mcm

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 SEL TDI PREMIUM Blue 2015 SEL TDI PREMIUM's Silver and Blue
Our freedom of choice to trade in or keep driving has been stolen by VW. The value of our cars for a trade in is definitely in the toilet. We need to be given back what has been taken by VW.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
So a Chevy dealer has "nerve" to refuse to take a TDI in trade? I'm sure that it's perfectly legal for them to refuse to take any car in trade. Once again we have a situation where the blame is being placed incorrectly. It belongs squarely on VWAG, and nowhere else.

bubbagumpshrimp

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta TDI
Yup. For the time being, the only place that you're going to possibly get a trade-in done with a TDI without completely giving your car away is a VW dealer. Maybe Audi if you want to step up?

I went to a GMC dealer recently (I want to get back into a truck). When the guy asked about my car and possible trade in...I laughed and said "you don't want it." He said "oh, it's a diesel?" I said "yup."he said "yeah." Lol.

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
Yup. For the time being, the only place that you're going to possibly get a trade-in done with a TDI without completely giving your car away is a VW dealer. Maybe Audi if you want to step up?

I went to a GMC dealer recently (I want to get back into a truck). When the guy asked about my car and possible trade in...I laughed and said "you don't want it." He said "oh, it's a diesel?" I said "yup."he said "yeah." Lol.
This.

(Plus Rico's misplaced blame words.......................)

ez

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
Tried to trade my 2015 Passat SE TDI on a 2016 Camaro SS, because of diesel-gate the dealership wasn't interested I was told to sell it myself :mad: So I left :) the nerve!
If you like the car, why not simply KEEP the car and keep driving it? I don't see much sense in throwing a perfectly good car away and taking a bath financially by trying to trade it in. It's cheaper to keep 'er and keep driving it and keep it long term.

The dieselgate scandal has caught the habitual traders off guard. Would you still want to trade if the dieselgate scandal never happened?

Last edited:

IXLR8

Veteran Member
TDI
12 Passat Platinum Gray, 02 Golf Black, 01 Jetta Black
I just retired and my 200 mile commutes are now going to be 5 mile errands and I wanted more of a luxury vehicle to replace my '12 Passat TDI. Two BMW dealers offered me $10K towards trade in for an X5. One BMW dealer offered me $6K towards a X5. Both Volvo dealers I went to didn't want anything to do with the car. I got the best deal on a X5 that I could and I am going to sell my Passat on my own. I am hoping to be able to get more than $12K for it.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
You sure go through a lot of Volkswagens. ;)

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
They probably did you a favor. Trade in on a one year old car will always be painful.

ChadS99SVT

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI DSG
They are not moving private party any better. VW needs to stop the madness. They are really not impressing anyone. The longer this goes on the worse it is getting

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I keep seeing the same common rail cars on CL week after week. Some are getting really inexpensive. '09 and '10 Jettas with over 100K are in the $5K range. And apparently not selling. If the right one comes along I may grab it, even though I don't really need another car.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
I keep seeing the same common rail cars on CL week after week. Some are getting really inexpensive. '09 and '10 Jettas with over 100K are in the $5K range. And apparently not selling. If the right one comes along I may grab it, even though I don't really need another car.
Wow! Instead of just paying $750 for a 2003 Jetta TDI GLS with 297K in good running condition (see my "resurrection thread" in the ALH forum), maybe I should have sprung for another CR? :D

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
That sounds like a pretty good deal. That car looks nice. But with good ALHs with under 200K on them going for $3-4K, and a CR with fewer miles for not much more it's hard to justify the older cars. Unless, like me, you prefer them.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
That sounds like a pretty good deal. That car looks nice. But with good ALHs with under 200K on them going for $3-4K, and a CR with fewer miles for not much more it's hard to justify the older cars. Unless, like me, you prefer them.
Now that I am retired (finally), my goal is to fix this 2003 Jetta up a bit and use it as a daily driver for me. The newer Passat will either get sold, re-visit VW, or be passed along to a child. Wife has a newer Hyundai Santa Fe and won't have anything else.

After driving this older Jetta around for a couple of days, I found out that I really missed the prior one I had.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
MKIVs are the best of VW, best of TDIs, IMHO. I drove mine about 200 miles today and as always it ran like a champ. At times I was running with the usual groups of Ma$$holes at 90 MPH and it doesn't even breathe hard at those speeds.

I did ride in BKMetz's '14 Passat in Detroit last month and liked it, too. I'd consider a manual Passat if I could find one at a low enough price. Haven't seen any of them under $10K yet. Which means dealers who are offering $5 or $6K are planning on making a few dollars.

roostre

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI DSG
MKIVs are the best of VW, best of TDIs, IMHO.
For sure. With today’s regulations how could something new compete and be affordable?

Wow! Instead of just paying $750 for a 2003 Jetta TDI GLS with 297K in good running condition (see my "resurrection thread" in the ALH forum), maybe I should have sprung for another CR? :D
I’m “all in” when the 2015’s get below $750.

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
lol really. for a ****ty new camaro?

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
To steal a quote: "Yeah, but that bar is lower than a snakes belly in a wagon rut" . . . . :) :) :) :)

- Tim

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
until there is an actual recall this is a waste of time.

Its like trying to take a leak with the toilet seat cover down, and hoping your results will be different with the lights off.
in my own home, i personally pee sitting down. i hate the splatter. the toilet area stays much cleaner! :) and yes, insult away if you want, but i'm not changing my ways :D on that note since i already went there, i pee (standing up) outside as much as possible, since i'm usually outside working anyways... bwhahahahhahaha

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
just don't pee on concrete it eventually destroys it :D

Ares

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE
I took my Passat to a new dealer to fix my frozen/broken door latch. Now I'm on their email an mailing lists.

I received in invite to a "Volkswagen Test Market Event" Their dealership was "selected to test aggressive discounts and incentives. To determine the effectiveness, the dealership must deliver 29 new vehicles in seven hours, regardless of profitability."

:rolleyes:

The invitation offered $8125 trade-in for my car, 2013 with 44k miles. Ha-ha.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I guess it's not really "regardless of profitability." Besides, shouldn't that read "regardless of profit"?