I just dumped my 2015 TDI SE

pparks1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
I personally do not think it is funny.....any of this...People bailing and losing there A$$ on perfectly good cars and do not even know the story yet......oh well AMF!!
The bigger issue is that i think many got swept up in high MPG's and bought these cars not fully realizing what owning a diesel might mean.

Then, they came here to the TDIClub and found a bunch of scary things might happen to them.
  • Failed Turbos
  • Failed HPFP's
  • Plugged Heater Cores
  • AdBlue Heater Problems
  • Premature Battery Failure

So, they were on edge and nervous already.

Then this story broke and they panic. Cars are unfortunately "required" and "expensive". People want as much piece of mind as possible...this car and this forum weren't providing that for them.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
I have said this since 1997 here.....
These cars are not for everyone.......People buy them and have no business buying them..........and anytime something happens instead of waiting they dump them.....
TDI or Not I tend to sell mine between 2-3 years! Only my 3 B4 Passats over the years have stayed longer. average 6 years! I just like the new car smell! However I have never had Negative equity not one time!!
This will be addressed....

Not_Agn

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat Se TDI
When I buy a new car, I'm buying that "piece of mind"! That is why I bought a new car. And not a cheap one at that! It's pretty sad, but reality, nothing is built to last anymore. I know that a diesel requires a little more attention. I'm fine with that. I changed my oil and fuel filter twice as often as recommended. I only used straight #2 diesel. It's all the things that are failing prematurely that I'm not ok with. Clock springs, door latches freezing, ad blue heater, clogged heater cores, clogged egr coolers, turbo, hpfp, the list continues. I understand they would be on a list for things to fail, but not at less then 40000 miles? Warranty or not it's a pain in the ass!

Last edited:

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
Our TDI is great, had it for over two years and we are loving it. But we do about 20% city / 80% Interstate with it. Very good vehicle for this kind of service. If I were driving only 6K per year (which probably signifies almost all urban driving), the car would be a hybrid.

flamingolegs

TDI
2015 Passat SE
Update:
Dealer replaced sensor for 0236 and reset ECU. Code returned, they put me in a loaner and have ordered a new ECU. Total miles 88.

I do give credit where it is due. They have given me white glove treatment, service director put me in front of the line when I arrived. I know they will find a fix.

Guys please don't misunderstand the purpose of my post. I have always appreciated VW, The Passat Diesel or gas is still a great car. My actions were solely for financial reasons. I have a young family of five and every penny is accounted for. Repair bills into the Thousands are just not in my budget.

I wish you all good fortune with the TDI into the future.

JB.

Scottie3000

TDI
2013 Passat SEL DSG
I too jumped from my TDI to something else. I went with a Mazda 6 Grand Touring, and I'm happy so far. I too was somewhat concerns about maintenance, both scheduled and unplanned, and the Mazda does much better with scheduled and according to several sources, unplanned problems too. Congrats on your new car. FYI I traded my '13 SEL with 48k to a VW/Mazda dealer and I paid invoice for their car and got $18,500 for mine.

tdi54

Veteran Member
TDI
1981 Rabbit Diesel(sold), 2009 Jetta TDI MT(sold)2010 Jetta TDI MT, 2015 Jetta TDI SEL, DSG, 99 Ford F 350 PSD Dually, 2016 BMW X5 xDrive35d, 2016 535d
For sure my next car will be another TDI, I was planning trading in my TDI for 2016 TDI's but I guess I have to wait until VW finds a solution soon and release the 2016 for sale. I believe and hope they will remedy this issue soon. People should not panic and make unwise decisions.. VW TDI's are fine and very well engineered vehicles.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
The owner of my local dealer says VW has filed paperwork with the EPA asserting that '16s are in compliance and do not have the dyno mode. If the EPA accepts this (and responds promptly) they could be available for sale soon.

thebigarniedog

Master of the Obvious
TDI
1998 Jetta tdi
The owner of my local dealer says VW has filed paperwork with the EPA asserting that '16s are in compliance and do not have the dyno mode. If the EPA accepts this (and responds promptly) they could be available for sale soon.

It is more likely that the EPA will make them wait till they fix the other years before allowing the 2016 models to role out ..... it will keep VW focused on fixing the big picture problem and will most likely be viewed as a penalty to VW by itself.

As far as the typical endless whining in regards to "vw diesels costing more than gassers to keep on the road", and those that continue that myth for reasons unknown, please just stop it already. Just because something failed on your car does not mean it will fail across the typical owner experience. Your driving mannerisms, your location from climates to road conditions will vary how a car wears.

USAFA04

TDI
2013 Passat SE, 6M
Let's be honest, VW has some pretty serious quality control issues concerning these cars. I think the emissions scandal is just the last straw for most people.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
Its true that vw has a lot of quality issues on things listed prior, but im not going anywhere, wife and I both work over a hour away from home and drive around 30k a year each. Their is no way on earth im giving up the nice ride of the NMS over a Prius. I buy my diesel wholesale- store it in a 500G home heating oil tank filtered to 2 micron for use when prices spike (heating oil season) I am extremely frugal and still prefer VW diesels as I always have (see link in sig). If things go really south in reliability or economy due to this lawsuit im sure a visit to Malone and a switch to high saps 5w40 can get this CKRA efficient and reliable pretty quickly.

Last edited:

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
The ICCT (the organization that did the testing to expose the TDI emissions scandal), should do real-world emissions tests of <=5 mile urban driving routes from stone-cold start on a big sample of gassers and get back to us... :rolleyes:

Mark_J

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI Passat SEL Premium, 2017 Fiat Spider, 2017 Ford F350 6.7 Diesel crew cab PU, 2016 Harley Trike, 2016 Tesla Model X P90D (I know went to the dark side)
I wish the sales people would explain the advantages and disadvantages of owing a TDI. I have owned VW diesels ever sense the first 6.9 Rabbit came out and I love them. But most of my driving is highway. I have a 2013 Passat SEL Premium TDI equipped with the UREA (Adblue) / SCR system and a 2011 Ford F350 Crewcab 6.7 Diesel with the same SCR setup. Both have the particulate filter that traps the soot and when the system detects a high DP on the filter, it is plugging up, so it goes into a cleaning mode. But this requires high temperature in the exhaust stream to burn out the soot from the filter. So if all they do is drive in the city it never gets hot enough to clean the filter end eventually it will plug up completely and it very expensive to pull and replace or clean. So again I wish the sales people would ask what kind of driving they do and if it is all putting around the city, steer them towards a gasser.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Do you really expect dealer salespeople to give you any useful information at all? Really?

ZootsAlures

Veteran Member
TDI
2012Passat SE TDI
Don't short sell your TDI's. You'll really regret it. I too was hoping to acquire a '16 along with the '12- but that plan just went out the window.

Reasonable arguments on both sides of this debate. My '12 is the first VW and I'm thrilled. Besides the normal maintenance and tire replacements the $1k AddBlue Heater issue (So far) is the only unplanned repairs encountered.. I hope I didn't just jinx myself. 85k miles and loving every bit of it.

"These are my principals and if you don't like them...well, I have others" Groucho Marx

2012 Passat TDI 6MT

flamingolegs

TDI
2015 Passat SE
Update:
Today makes 9 days, dealer is still waiting for a ECM from Germany. REALLY! How is it possible that a car which is assembled in Chattanooga does not have parts in the USA?

It also took three calls to the dealer to get a callback! I am so disappointed!

I asked why its taking so long to get the part, answer: your car is so new we Don't have that style computer. I thought the NMS came out in 2012.

Well I have had enough and opened a complaint with VW corporate. Guys this car has less then 100 miles!

Jbratstdi

TDI
2012 Passat SEL-Sold Diesel Gate
Its true that vw has a lot of quality issues on things listed prior, but im not going anywhere, wife and I both work over a hour away from home and drive around 30k a year each. Their is no way on earth im giving up the nice ride of the NMS over a Prius. I buy my diesel wholesale- store it in a 500G home heating oil tank filtered to 2 micron for use when prices spike (heating oil season) I am extremely frugal and still prefer VW diesels as I always have (see link in sig). If things go really south in reliability or economy due to this lawsuit im sure a visit to Malone and a switch to high saps 5w40 can get this CKRA efficient and reliable pretty quickly.
Hey go Malone! You know there worth every frugal penny..... Lol . I am getting better mileage and I have been heavy on the pedal still getting use to the phenomenal power of the 3.5 tune ;)

Diverb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SE 6mt
Man I'm kicking myself in the butt for selling my 2013 Jetta TDI. I bought a new 2013 Jetta TDI after my 2004 TDI with 284,000 miles was starting to fall apart. Long story short I drove the car for a year and loved it, but when the Jeep Grand Cherokee came out with the 3.0L diesel, I just had to have one. I couldn't swing 3 car payments, only two so I sold my VW to buy the Jeep.

Now with all the stuff going on and I'm worried the EPA & the Gov may impose some sort of ban on diesels for a few years, I've pulled some cash out of a retirement account to buy another TDI just incase it gets hard to get one. I found a 2012 Passat fully loaded with only 14,000 miles for $20,000. I'm not crazy about the color, but I think I can live with it

croppz

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 DSG Jetta TDI
I did a similar thing as far as getting rid of a car for my needs. I drive about 15k a year just for work, not calculating anything else. Nothing crazy like some of the guys on here but I'm also expanding my search radius for new jobs since I have a car now that won't kill me on fuel. I went from a 2011 fusion sport that ended up blowing an engine 6 months after I bought it, I loved that car but told myself I wouldn't buy another one of those even though it could have been a fluke. I got a 2013 mustang GT after that because i said why not. I put 10k miles on it in 5 months and it started killing me in fuel.

I traded it in September for my 13 Jetta TDI. However, I am absolutely loving the mileage and fuel range as well as the performance of the car. I got one because my two friends both had gotten theirs within the year and were raving about them. I did it without a ton of research regarding maintenance, but the oil changes/DSG fluid changes/filters I can do myself. The timing belt will be done with a guru. So far my dealer experience has been great, the wiper motor was bad I had discovered after buying it and they replaced it no questions asked, same day in an hour. I wouldn't expect less because the car had 25k on it when I got it.

These cars aren't really for the mechanically challenged, unless they don't care about going to a dealer and getting their wallet emptied. Do these cars have issues? Yup, but the 2011 fusion sport I had was apparently one of the most reliable cars you could buy and the engine died out of nowhere on it. Anything can happen and while the CR VWs have issues as posted on this forum, I'm willing to bet there are a BUNCH of people with these cars out there not having any problems at all. I've had my car since Sept 16th and have already put 1800 miles on it, I love it. While I am nervous about maintenance, it's not going to force me to get rid of it until I find out what VW is going to do with dieselgate.

Last edited:

gncc600

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Passat SE DSG
Man I'm kicking myself in the butt for selling my 2013 Jetta TDI. I bought a new 2013 Jetta TDI after my 2004 TDI with 284,000 miles was starting to fall apart. Long story short I drove the car for a year and loved it, but when the Jeep Grand Cherokee came out with the 3.0L diesel, I just had to have one. I couldn't swing 3 car payments, only two so I sold my VW to buy the Jeep.

Now with all the stuff going on and I'm worried the EPA & the Gov may impose some sort of ban on diesels for a few years, I've pulled some cash out of a retirement account to buy another TDI just incase it gets hard to get one. I found a 2012 Passat fully loaded with only 14,000 miles for $20,000. I'm not crazy about the color, but I think I can live with it
I would think if they stop selling them our values would go up not down :)

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
Update:
Today makes 9 days, dealer is still waiting for a ECM from Germany. REALLY! How is it possible that a car which is assembled in Chattanooga does not have parts in the USA?
It also took three calls to the dealer to get a callback! I am so disappointed!
I asked why its taking so long to get the part, answer: your car is so new we Don't have that style computer. I thought the NMS came out in 2012.
Well I have had enough and opened a complaint with VW corporate. Guys this car has less then 100 miles!
Yes, the NMS came out in '12, but it receive a completely new engine in 2015, so the previous ECMs won't work. I agree that parts should have been available, as the EA288 engine has been out for a year now. Sometimes they just don't keep higher ticket parts available, especially if it's felt they rarely if ever fail.