Rear View Camera Install Issues

msantram

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 SportWagen TDI DSG (Buyback 2018.01.30)
Hello All

I am attempting to install a RVC & OPS in my '11 JSW with my local audio tech. The service manager at my VW dealership had recommended them, and they have done good work. We're having issues with the RVC and been running over every possible fix but with no luck.

I started with installing the RNS-510 from ExtremeNetwork. Peter provided great support and help getting the unit up and running. Happy with the change from the RCD-510. I ordered the RVC from nsmsam2 on eBay. The unit looked good and went in without too many problems.

We followed this guide - but something is not right:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...f-Jetta-Sportwagen&highlight=rear+view+camera

I enabled the camera with VCDS but when the car is in reverse, nothing happens on the display. I've got some fault codes on VCDS but I don't know if they are keeping the signal from the RNS or if something w/the install is not right.

I've emailed maloosheck several times for help and he's been extremely helpful. I am remote for the week, so my tech has been trying to work through the errors. This is the status report I got from him tonight:

"as for the camera it's still not working. What I have found out so far is that the red wire is getting a constant 12v battery source. ( I tried it at the battery, fuse box #16, tried behind the radio also. As for the ground it's a solid ground. As for the blue with black tracer wire (also the yellow) I have hooked into the reverse light and the under the driver side dash at the computer. I verified that when not in reverse the camera has not output, when putting the camera into reverse the camera has an output around 3.0 volts, (which is a common voltage that you see with a video signal. I checked the cable with a meter and visually, to see if there are any brakes in the wire and I have found none.

I talked to a guy that works in the vw business and he told me to try another computer. His concern was that the camera seems to be functioning properly due to the voltage. He claims that the radio is not seeing to change over to the reverse screen,so he recommended trying either a vatcom, or another Ross cable. He says it sounds like a software problem, so I am going to look to see if a shop in the area may have one we can try. ( it's worth a shot ). So that's where I am at with the rear view camera. "

I wonder if my CECM needs to be updated. I am going to look through my VCDS logs to see what version I have. Anyone out there have any advice or thoughts? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've been researching and reading but can't determine where we have gone wrong.

MAJSW

TDI
2013 JSW 6sp/Pano/Nav/Tempest Blue
Ok, so those instructions obviously work but wow are they more than necessary. When I saw those before my install I wasn't going to do the project. Taking out the dash cluster and everything else is huge overkill.

I did this similar to other install instructions on forums:
-12v power to empty fuse slot, running through new 5 amp fuse for protection.
-Reverse trigger tapped onto reverse power right at the tail light.
-Ground wire onto body at a tail light screw (with slight filing of paint to assure good connection).

That was it. I actually had some problems initially resulting from a bad ground. I was using a ground wire that should have been a good, but just didn't want to let it work and caused a host of errors to clear out. It also caused the interior lights to stay on too if you saw that. Car body of course is the best ground but others have found good ground wires to tap into. Being that simple I really wonder why anyone would go through all that trouble of taking the dash apart.

Perhaps you've over complicated it. Try disconnecting camera wires except video on rns510, then clear all errors and turn off camera in VCDS, restart car clear of camera conections and errors should remain clear, then finally do your reconnections and turn camera back on in VCDS. I just remember having to clear and reset everything after my ground problems before it would then work right.

Outrider6

Veteran Member
TDI
JSW 2011
BUC Blues

Hello All
I am attempting to install a RVC & OPS in my '11 JSW with my local audio tech....
I wonder if my CECM needs to be updated. I am going to look through my VCDS logs to see what version I have. Anyone out there have any advice or thoughts? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've been researching and reading but can't determine where we have gone wrong.
I have a highline BCM now, but even with the stock lowline BCM, there was an option on the NAV controller to activate the BUC (using VCDS).

If you have the VCDS coding right, you should get a screen change to the back-up view when you shift into reverse, even if the camera isn't providing signal.

Also, FWIW, the camera (and your reverse lights) won't work when the rear hatch is open...it has to be securely latched.

Also, do you have a rear fog light? (If so, you may have tapped in to the wrong wire.)

Are you doing both the OPS and the BUC at the same time?

msantram

Veteran Member
TDI
@MAJSW Thanks for the reply. I can't seem to clear all of my errors which all showed up after I installed the door warming lights and interior led lights. I followed the instructions for both, but the can't clear the errors. Not sure if these would prevent the RVC from communicating to the RNS.

I will rewire the ground to the car to see if that sends the signal as well as making sure the trunk hatch is securely shut.

I know I have over complicated things by installing everything at once, I thought it would be much simpler. :eek:

thx again

Ok, so those instructions obviously work but wow are they more than necessary. When I saw those before my install I wasn't going to do the project. Taking out the dash cluster and everything else is huge overkill.

I did this similar to other install instructions on forums:
-12v power to empty fuse slot, running through new 5 amp fuse for protection.
-Reverse trigger tapped onto reverse power right at the tail light.
-Ground wire onto body at a tail light screw (with slight filing of paint to assure good connection).

That was it. I actually had some problems initially resulting from a bad ground. I was using a ground wire that should have been a good, but just didn't want to let it work and caused a host of errors to clear out. It also caused the interior lights to stay on too if you saw that. Car body of course is the best ground but others have found good ground wires to tap into. Being that simple I really wonder why anyone would go through all that trouble of taking the dash apart.

Perhaps you've over complicated it. Try disconnecting camera wires except video on rns510, then clear all errors and turn off camera in VCDS, restart car clear of camera conections and errors should remain clear, then finally do your reconnections and turn camera back on in VCDS. I just remember having to clear and reset everything after my ground problems before it would then work right.

msantram

Veteran Member
TDI
@Outrider6 I thought that all TDIs had highline units, but I will recheck when I get to the shop. The tech has locked up the wagen in their garage for the weekend. :(

In VCDS I just enabled bit 6 within 37 Navigation / byte 3. Not sure if there is anything else to toggle in VCDS. But when the car is in reverse, hatch closed, nav unit on, noting happens on screen. No black screen, no reverse image, no change whatsoever. So either the RNS is not aware the RVC is installed, or there is no signal. I will run through these steps to be sure.

Yes, foolishly I thought doing everything at once would be easier. Simpler to always install one thing at at time and ensure all is coded right in VCDS.

thx

I have a highline BCM now, but even with the stock lowline BCM, there was an option on the NAV controller to activate the BUC (using VCDS).
If you have the VCDS coding right, you should get a screen change to the back-up view when you shift into reverse, even if the camera isn't providing signal.
Also, FWIW, the camera (and your reverse lights) won't work when the rear hatch is open...it has to be securely latched.
Also, do you have a rear fog light? (If so, you may have tapped in to the wrong wire.)
Are you doing both the OPS and the BUC at the same time?

Outrider6

Veteran Member
TDI
JSW 2011
Done This Three Times...Three Different Cars

I'm sure this is frustrating because it really should be simple.

On my first install, we got the RNS-315 to switch over to camera display mode, but there was no feed from the camera. Turns out my son didn't get the wire placement in the Maloosheck hatch connector right. Once we made sure the wires were lined up correctly, everything worked fine.

Second install also showed a black screen at first, but that was only a lens cap.

Third install was uneventful.

Don't forget to put a (5A mini) fuse in the fusebox where you tapped power.

Re: VCDS... you did go into the CANbus controller installed equipment list and switch on Navigation...? (This is a real long shot, since you've already entered codes.)

Re: the RNS-510. That unit may need a force reboot to recognize the camera. Did you do that?

Last pointer... Are you sure the video cable is seated in the back of the radio? It can give a false impression of being fully seated.

Last edited:

msantram

Veteran Member
TDI
It's been so frustrating. Most things can be done right the first time in a logical progression, but this has been like using voodoo magic on a complex electrical system.

I thought we did not need the maloosheck connector, but it seems like it should make everything work simpler. I've asked him to send me a connector.

I thought that I checked CANBus, but I will check that and every connection myself. I may have to pick the lock at the garage. Don't know if I can wait 'til Tuesday.

MAJSW

TDI
2013 JSW 6sp/Pano/Nav/Tempest Blue
This so called Malooshek harness - what is it? No other harness is needed for this install. The camera comes with the correct wiring harness with video, power, ground, and reverse trigger wires ready to go.

I will second the statement on the screen turning black even if camera is not working. If you are not getting any reaction in reverse from the screen then the issue isn't (at least for now) the camera itself.

Primary objective now should be to have the RNS-510 working properly and no errors in system after clearing them.

Outrider6

Veteran Member
TDI
JSW 2011
Maloosheck Harness Explained

This so called Malooshek harness - what is it?.
Back in the dark old days of two years ago...

Nobody sold a complete BUC kit. You bought a Tiggy camera handle for about $300. Then you bought the video connection (~$150) that came with a single long copper wire and the proper video cable. That left the video camera pigtail with an open connector with three essential electrical connections unmade. Maloosheck's harness makes those three connections up front in the factory locations. It's perfect for that task...factory locations, factory components.

Maloosheck is a local (to me) VW enthusiast whose work is top-notch and is expertly documented. My guess is that he's busy enough to not miss the extra work of wiring every JSW back-up camera with hand made parts. Though with an extra mouth to feed, he may welcome the occasional extra income.

P.S. - if this were me, I'd first confirm the coding, then reboot the RNS-510 (FWIW not needed on an RNS-315). Then make sure the rear hatch is closed and shift into reverse. The screen needs to change to something other than normal. If no screen change, do check the reverse lights.

Last edited:

msantram

Veteran Member
TDI
An Overdue Update

Thx Outrider6.

A long overdue update: The RVC is still not sending a camera signal to the RNS-510. OPS is working, very unpleasant tones when something is too close, so that's one good thing. But there's no OPS video on screen. More alarming is that my battery keeps draining. I've been traveling for work, so my car's been sitting for some periods. There is either an unterminated circuit causing a slow drain, or something is not coded correctly. I am hopeful that it is the latter.

I contacted Maloosheck, who is a very talented VW enthusiast. He looked at my VCDS logs and quickly found that my Can-Bus Gateway is not the right version. He pointed me to this replacement unit on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221156459207?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

The description seems to be on par with the issues that I am having:

"This CAN BUS GATEWAY is required if you installed RNS510/MFD3 unit with newer firmware version or even updated your current RNS510 and have functioning issues such as:

- Battery discharge
- Unit turns off itself constantly every 30 minutes or other period.
- Any possibility to add OPS Systems to Can Gateway

There can be more problem, but these 3 are most common. These problems indicate, that CAN BUS GATEWAY version of car and RNS510 differs and they cannot communicate properly between themselves. It means that you have to change CAN BUS GATEWAY and this part will help to do this."

Anyway I offered Maloosheck to do some house and yard work, and even help him build a new website, but he's got his hands full. (never hurts to ask) He's an extremely helpful and smart guy. Anyway hopefully his can-bus gateway module arrives soon and I'll find out if his car is working right after he installs. I ordered one too, but looks like international shipping is a few weeks at least.

I checked the wiring with my audio tech, but we could not figure it out. A few days after I got the car back from them, my battery was dead. Took it into the dealer who replaced the battery and told me one of my tires had a nail. I also found a few other issues: TPMS light won't go off after replacing one tire and my map lights are out. I should have been more selective about the shop, but lesson learned.

Word to the wise: When updating your car with new components; always install one thing at a time. Install it & make sure you've coded VCDS correctly before moving onto the next item. Patience is worth it.

I missed the festivities at waterfest today, but I'm going to try and go back tomorrow. I've never seen so many tricked out VWs in one location. Felt like I was on the "movie set" of Cars. I'm hoping to chat with a few vendors to see if I can get a updated CAN-Bus gateway and possibly a highline CECM/BCM. The highline may be overkill, but I just want to solve these issues and will leave no stone unturned.

I found a few possible performance shops who say they specialize in electrical wiring & coding issues. Exactly where I need help: http://www.tyrolsport.com/index.php?p=page&page_id=services_electrical-computer-diagnosis

I am hopeful that replacing the Can-Bus along with possibly upgrading the CECM/BCM to the highline version AND correctly coding VCDS will help solve my battery drain issues and allow me to complete the RVC & OPS install. I've got a lot more to learn. Hopefully I'll have better news soon, though in the interim I picked up a car battery charger to be safe.

p.s. I voiced some frustrations with not getting timely responses from Ross-Tech with my VCDS issues. One of their techs, who will probably read this too and get angry again, sent me a scathing note for my post. What Maloosheck answered in two seconds they were unable to do so. I offered to pay them for their time and help, but instead was told off for asking for support. Great customer support starts and ends with helping to empower someone, not making them feel badly for asking questions.

Whatever though, just man up and pick up some manuals. Thanks for the help everyone.

wrightwinger

TDI
jsw
I need some help troubleshooting too.

I just installed a camera.
When I put the car in reverse, i get the back up screen, but no picture.

VCDS says "no signal" under fault codes.

i know; the lens cap is off, my power and ground are good.

I do not know how to test my 'trigger' wire which is spliced into my reverse light (i believe), nor do i know how to test the camera, and the coaxial cable.

i have an RNS 315.

msantram

Veteran Member
TDI
congrats! could you expand a bit more on where you found your gremlin? still hosting mine...

PHAT-DUB

Vendor
sorry to hear about all the problems with the BUC,

One thing i did was test it before i did the full install.

I installed mine to my RNS315 and had some issues but it turned out to be the ground.

I tested all my connections with my multimeter just to make sure all was good when i troubleshooted my install. its a very basic circuit.

since than i have sold my 315 and awaiting a 510, hopefully everything goes well when i install the headunit.

Dennis