Sound upgrade

irishrob

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat 6M
Okay here it goes. I also do not want to spend 1K on a n audio install for new speakers/amp. I do not wish to mess with door panels at this time since the car is so new. I will try to put a sub woofer in somewhere. Any thoughts on how to wire, what unit to buy, do I need dynamat, where to put it, what wire to buy?,,,I have a 13 Passat SE 6M. I am not looking for loud thumping bass. I just want some improvement. I will rip my hair out if I don't change something though. No Fender upgrade was available in the 6M.

Thanks in advance!

ChadS99SVT

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI DSG
I'm going to be doing something at some point too. I'm feeling lazy in the fact that I don't want to do it myself but I'm not sure I can bring myself to spend the money to have a shop do it. I'm also concerned the shop will not take care when ripping my car apart. :mad:

rustycat

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 passat sel
Okay here it goes. I also do not want to spend 1K on a n audio install for new speakers/amp. I do not wish to mess with door panels at this time since the car is so new. I will try to put a sub woofer in somewhere. Any thoughts on how to wire, what unit to buy, do I need dynamat, where to put it, what wire to buy?,,,I have a 13 Passat SE 6M. I am not looking for loud thumping bass. I just want some improvement. I will rip my hair out if I don't change something though. No Fender upgrade was available in the 6M.

Thanks in advance!
Just a comment. Subwoofers are of questionable use in the playback of most music. They work great for pumped up electronica, or movie themes, but most "music" just doesn't go into subwoofer land. I guess my sense of appropriate music is somewhat generational as I'm in the Social Security set, but I'm pretty open to most music, except modern country, boy bands, gangstra rap, 80"s heavy metal and Barry Manilow (with the exception of Copacabana)
So, the Passat needs good mid range performance and tweets that don't screech. Even a good full range without tweets will provide a very satisfying listening experience.
I'd give a look at what Parts Express has, for a high value low cost system's components.
http://www.parts-express.com/term/automotive-speakers?srch=automotive+speakers

Of course, Morel, Dynaudio, and Seas are top shelf kits, but you really can pay out the nose for them.

Just took a look a "full range automotive speakers" at Parts
Express. I've not heard this Visaton, but I use Visaton horn tweeters in my home fullrange and they are awesome. I haven't check on how they fit, but if they fit I'd sure give these guys a try (one super positive review in a BMW) http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=292-518

Last edited:

rustycat

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 passat sel
Just a comment. Subwoofers are of questionable use in the playback of most music. They work great for pumped up electronica, or movie themes, but most "music" just doesn't go into subwoofer land. I guess my sense of appropriate music is somewhat generational as I'm in the Social Security set, but I'm pretty open to most music, except modern country, boy bands, gangstra rap, 80"s heavy metal and Barry Manilow (with the exception of Copacabana)
So, the Passat needs good mid range performance and tweets that don't screech. Even a good full range without tweets will provide a very satisfying listening experience.
I'd give a look at what Parts Express has, for a high value low cost system's components.
http://www.parts-express.com/term/automotive-speakers?srch=automotive+speakers

Of course, Morel, Dynaudio, and Seas are top shelf kits, but you really can pay out the nose for them.

Just took a look a "full range automotive speakers" at Parts
Express. I've not heard this Visaton, but I use Visaton horn tweeters in my home fullrange and they are awesome. I haven't check on how they fit, but if they fit I'd sure give these guys a try (one super positive review in a BMW) http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=292-518

I took a look over on youtube for a video on removing an nms Passat door panel and found nothing. I did find an Audio door panel removal video that is probably pretty close to the procedure used to remove a Passat panel.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YHB1y2lZrs

irishrob

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat 6M
Thanks....maybe one day I can be more of a contributor than an asker. I am still reluctant to take off the door panels but will definitely save this YouTube link. I'm just looking for a diagram and directions on how to wire a subwoofer with an onboard amp. I will move on from there if I need to thank you for all the advice

APT

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL
Just a comment. Subwoofers are of questionable use in the playback of most music. They work great for pumped up electronica, or movie themes, but most "music" just doesn't go into subwoofer land.
I disagree with that. A 6.5" round speaker in an unsealed door panel for example will not produce much output under 100 Hz. While much media may not be under 50 HZ, there is a lot in the 50-100hz.

Anyway, $1000 for a new head unit, amp and subwoofer should be easy. I also recommend crossovers on the door speakers which will improve there mid-range performance.

irishrob

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat 6M
I am still having trouble finding front to back wiring instructions for 12 or 13 Passat for sub woofer install. Does anyone know if the Jetta radio and wiring is similar?
As far as buying a sub woofer I have decided to start there and work my way back to the head unit. Thanks again in advance for all the advice on this so far.

Herkguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 passat SE sun/nav
While sound proofing my car I installed GT matt on the doors and I love the better sound with just the stock system.

If you want the wiring diagrams and all the how to remove every trim panel on your car info .... it is a must do to download all the PDF manuals for our car from ERWIN. It's only $35 for a 1day subscription and you can get them all in under 2 hrs. Then load them on your laptop or iPad and take them out to your car for hands on viewing.

https://erwin.vw.com/erwin/showHome.do;jsessionid=0F16132AE7CF22F70C2D414AC4CB4169.ASTPVWE2

Check it out, it was worth every dime for me especially as I have taken almost every panel apart in my car now...lol

And here is the door panel info, someone posted this in vortex

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5527245-How-to-take-the-door-and-trunk-trim-apart
:)

irishrob

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat 6M
I'm just reviving this thread to see if anyone just disconnected a rear speaker and connected a sub. If so,,what size sub, did it have built in amp, how did it sound?

Nuttendiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL with Malone 1.5 tune, 2014 535d, 2008 F250 6.4
This 8" sub ( link below) is more than any audiophile would need in a car and even at what I would consider loud listening levels it would need very little power to blend in nicely with whatever you have in mind for future upgrades provided you use a ported box tuned no lower than 40hz

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=264-854

The youngsters on this forum will roll their eyes at this but I have owned and built many high end speaker systems and this little thing is all you need( read all the reviews from the parts express link )I have the fender and while it is ok for a stock stereo unit to me the weakest point is the bass response, not the lack of output but the quality, I will definately consider building a custom ported box of say 3/4 cu. ft. Tuned to 40hz with an L pad on the side to adjust the output level with this speaker as a replacement for the stock fender sub sometime in the future.

This video link below is an extreme example of what could be done with this small speaker, I built a folded horn of approx. 18" square and the output was unbelievable!, I also let a friend of my sons try it in his car ( 20 speakers, 5000 watts, that kind of guy! ) he had 2x12" ported box that took up half his trunk powered by 3000 watts into a 1 ohm load so we hooked up the little box in his trunk with my small 12v amp putting out maybe 120 watts into the 6 ohm load and he just shook his head, was it louder, no not at all but it did sound better, far more controlled and accurate, all the reviews I have read about how this speaker behaves in a small ported enclosure are similar.

http://vimeo.com/8528763

Here is an opinion from a review on something you might build.

I would go with a simpler, ported enclosure. For a vehicle the tuning looks a lot better done at .8 cu ft with a 3" port 12.5" long. This gives you a tuning of 40hz and an f3 of roughly 35hz and a smoother roll off.

Last edited:

Ridelife

TDI
02 Jetta tdi auto, 01 Jetta tdi auto 1016 DLC-kerma tune, 2014 Passat TDI 6 speed manual
Has anyone figured out what connector is needed to run a sun I have read 3 or4 articles all never go over it. Any updates?

Ridelife

TDI
02 Jetta tdi auto, 01 Jetta tdi auto 1016 DLC-kerma tune, 2014 Passat TDI 6 speed manual
2014 6speed base model radio. No nav has Sirius and back up I believe it's the 510 without nav

peterwinkle

TDI
2012 Passat SE
There are a few options for installing a sub. first option would be first getting an aftermarket stereo which will have pre outs for a sub. Then you can run the signal straight to your amp.

If you really want a great sound quality you can get keep the stock head unit and get a digital signal processor, like the JBL MS8, which is what I did and run your signal to your amp from there, this does require a lot of new wiring and a lot of set up work, but it sounds incredible.

Your other option is buying a line out converter and tapping into the rear speakers signal. This one is the cheapest and easiest, but will give you the lowest quality music.

Might I also suggest looking into an infinite baffle set up for your sub(s). The Passat has a perfect set up for it. I was able to fit 2 12's in the rear deck, I still have a completely empty trunk with no box to take up a bunch of room. All that you can see of the subs is about 3 inches hanging down inside the trunk. You really cant beat inifinite baffle for sound quality, and get get close to the really low end bass without a huge box or tons of power.

Ridelife

TDI
thanks for the suggestions. i want to keep the stock head unit looks clean and has the back up cam and such and feel would be a waste to upgrade that. my wife just wants he bass back to listen to her Kesha crap. i had it in her mk5 jetta with a side mount custom box. i already have the sub and amp so was looking for the way to run it. in the mk5 i had to put a line out on the back of the head unit which was a pain off the rears would be nice. do you know who sells one off the top of your head?

ChadS99SVT

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI DSG
I ran spliced into the left and right channels from behind the rear deck and ran the wires to the trunk. I'm just using a simple LOC to run RCA's to my AMP.

It's not too difficult.

I found the wiring diagram on vwvortex, someone posted the color combos for each wire....Sorry I don't have that handy for you.:cool:

PassatSE4me

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE 6MT
2014 6speed base model radio. No nav has Sirius and back up I believe it's the 510 without nav
This is what I plan to use for my line outs. It's the only direct plug-in I've found for the RCD-510 so far. Simply unplug the harness from the radio and plug this in.

Ridelife

TDI

whitevdub

TDI
2012 TDi SE
Mine will be getting a full system install next Monday. Includes hushmat, Audison bitone, Alpine Headunit, JL XD600/1, JLXD400/4, JL C5's for the front, C2's for the Rear, with a removable H.O. JL 110-W6V3.

Needless to say I am stoked to see how this thing sounds.

Ridelife

TDI
There are no line-outs on the RCD-510. Splice or LOC.
just weird how there is aux audio out already in system if that for the fender upgrade radio? if so anyone know where the amp is located in the car im sure they ran the wires to that location

Ridelife

TDI
This is what I plan to use for my line outs. It's the only direct plug-in I've found for the RCD-510 so far. Simply unplug the harness from the radio and plug this in.
that what i used on my mk5 for a sub install worked great. will this harness fit the current 510 newer 510 in the b7?

as for the crutchfield thing that was the first place i checked. im trying to avoid splicing into factory harness as much as possible its only got 1700 miles on it lol