Stereo system for TDI SE

Volcano375

TDI
2013 tdi SE DSG
Anybody know the model number of the stereo system(no nav) on 2013 PassatTDI DSG SE base model?

I was wondering if I can add a ipod cable without changing the existing unit?
Thanks.

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
The Non-Nav radio in the Passat will be the RCD-510 (Also known as a Premium 8).

The only Ipod cable that can be added to that particular radio would be the MDI retrofit.

Does your car have Bluetooth? If so, you should be capable of streaming audio which is better than any cable.

johnb102

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
I had the MDI kit added to my 2013 SE with the RCD 510 (Premium 8). I bought the kit online from a dealer for substantially less than my local dealer wanted to charge, and then had the local dealer install it. The cable is in my glove box. I probably could have done it myself, but didn't want to play with it on a brand new car.

I find the MDI cable to be much better than the streaming through Bluetooth because when I shut the car, the player stops. Not a big deal if you are listening to music, but I often listen to audiobooks when I drive and it is a pain if you shut the car and forget to stop the player and then need to figure out where you were.

GammaRae

TDI
2013 Passat TDI DSG SE w/Sunroof
I find the MDI cable to be much better than the streaming through Bluetooth because when I shut the car, the player stops. Not a big deal if you are listening to music, but I often listen to audiobooks when I drive and it is a pain if you shut the car and forget to stop the player and then need to figure out where you were.
Interesting. Mine always picks-up from my iPhone right where it was no matter where I've been listening to it, in the car or prior.

Ace Deprave

Veteran Member
TDI
Former owner of a 2012 Passat SE TDI (traded for a 2015 Golf R)
Another good reason to use an MDI cable is the ability to keep the device charged while it's playing.

Volcano375

TDI
2013 tdi SE DSG
Any good place to order MDI kit online, and how much the dealer charged to install it?Also if they placed the cable in glove box, can I control my iPod through the stereo?

Last edited:

johnb102

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
Any good place to order MDI kit online, and how much the dealer charged to install it?Also if they placed the cable in glove box, can I control my iPod through the stereo?
I got it here.

http://www.keffervw.com/

I don't remember exactly how much it was, but it was less than the local dealer. You need to kit as well as the iPod adapter. You will be able to control it through the stereo/steering wheel controls.

johnb102

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
Interesting. Mine always picks-up from my iPhone right where it was no matter where I've been listening to it, in the car or prior.
Do you mean when playing the iPhone over the bluetooth it would stop playing when you shut the car and then restart at the same point when you started the car later?

I was using a Blackberry and the Audible app for books, so I am not sure whether it was the phone or the app, but it kept playing when I shut the car.

GammaRae

TDI
2013 Passat TDI DSG SE w/Sunroof
Do you mean when playing the iPhone over the bluetooth it would stop playing when you shut the car and then restart at the same point when you started the car later?
Yup, and not only when I am listening to it in the car. If I have been listening to it previously away from the car it picks up where I left off before getting in the car.

drshaws

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW TDI 6MT
1. I actually don't have any of music on my iPhone5 - it's all streamed via Google Music or Amazon. And I've yet to figure out album navigation via the head unit (e.g. - how to get a new album without going to the phone - which may or may not be possible). [note: partly my own fault - have a new iPhone and an ancient Mac as music server - old Mac won't take lightning adapter, nor even with USB-to-lightning adapter - so no iTunes sync with iPhone]

2. We have at an old iPod nano sitting around that went through the wash - it's display is broken but drive still functions. I had hoped to load up and just leave in the glovebox. First world problem, I know.

3. I may also just go with the SD card route, but initial folder management is hopefully not a PITA. And still have to spend $ on SD card and card-reader.

pparks1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
3. I may also just go with the SD card route, but initial folder management is hopefully not a PITA. And still have to spend $ on SD card and card-reader.
I love the SD Card option. I don't use my phone anymore, neither via the cable or Bluetooth, but instead keep all of my music on the SD Card. The 32GB card was about $20 from Amazon and I have a script to mirror all of the music on my laptop to the card.

I keep everything sorted on my PC and I just copied it straight up to the card and it works perfectly. No pain at all.