Does Adblue 2012 Passat eliminates EGR?

Benelli Bob

TDI
Looking to buy
My understanding is that EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) is used to reduce NOx. While the 2012 Passat uses adblue to reduce Nox does this eliminate having EGR and its complexities?
Bob

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
No, it still has EGR. Reducing engine-out NOx (via EGR) allows the AdBlue consumption to be reduced considerably, compared to the amount that would have to be used if engine-out NOx were allowed to be higher.

Max Period

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Comfortline
Does the 2012 Passat still have a NOx oxidizer in addition to the DOC+DPF+EGR+SCR systems? Looking at this image I'm wondering:

Last edited:

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Does the 2012 Passat still have a NOx oxidizer in addition to the DPF+EGR+SCR systems? Looking at this image I'm wondering:
You still need the oxidation catalyst (the first component in the picture you posted) to convert the NO (nitric oxide) into NO2 (nitrogen dioxide).

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
1st container is oxidizing catalyst and DPF in the same housing, same as Golf/Jetta
2nd container is the SCR catalyst which takes the place of the lean NOx catalyst that the Golf/Jetta uses, but it is installed in the same location (note that the AdBlue pipe leads into the exhaust system ahead of this device
3rd container is presumably the same de-H2S catalyst that the Golf/Jetta use (I don't know this for sure)

The EGR systems are not shown in that view, but note the gizmo in the exhaust system downstream of the last catalyst - the same gizmo that generates back-pressure for operation of the low-pressure EGR system that the Golf/Jetta have ...

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
No H2S catalyst on the SCR systems, due to size I suspect it's a two part SCR system (longer to minimize size and maximize effectiveness).