2012 Volkswagen Passat plays to the masses - Scott Burgess, Detroit News

earlthepearl

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 New Beetle 5M, 2004 Passat 6M, 2009 Jetta Sedan (buy back), 2010 Touareg (buy back)
I'll bet we're going to see a lot of these on the road soon. Conservative looks have staying power, so long as it isn't ugly like the Camry or Accord. :p Those wanting "swoopy lines" will go for a Sonata, and won't even look at the Passat.;)

Muleman

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS TDI Wagon
I looked at one today while getting parts for my 05. It looks fine. Sticker $33,000.00. They may not fly off the shelves. I'll wait a couple years to see what issues this TDI has before even considering it, plus it's got be a wagon.......Regards PJ

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Vw configurator is up and running. Gives TDI price range of $26,765 with manual with no options up to $32,965 with DSG and fully loaded.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Manual equipped model can be had for much under $30k. Likely in the $26 range.
Manual can only be had in this range from my latest conversation and the price sheet emailed me and the VW web site. If you want a manual you have to do without everything else. No sunroof, no nav, no leather seats, no ......

Bet they don't do that in Europe and get away with it.

Driver_found

Veteran Member
TDI
Former MKV Jetta TDI 5M, Former 2013 Passat TDI SE 6M, 2015 Mazda 6 Touring 6m
Saw the top of the line new Passat TDI SEL today. Looks very nice and 'upscale'. Interior looks well done.
It has presence. It looks better in person than in the photos.
And a much better execution of the new 'block of cheese' design than the current new Jetta IMO. @ 32k price tag.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I think the reporter is incorrect about the DSG being available with the 5 cylinder engine. My recollection is that that engine gets a conventional automatic. Not sure about the six cylinder car.

pogo

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf/02/5spd 230K Passat SE/12/DSG 50K
I drove a Passat SEL last Thursday, at Trend VW, and came away feeling pretty much like the reviewer. Quiet, smooth, but in control, tons of room inside. We're looking at this to replace my wife's 1995 Toyota Avalon. My wife's biggest gripes about my 2002 Golf are cramped space, loud engine and harsh ride (has Beilstein TC shocks & struts), and the funky cup holder over the cd player. No issues with any of these in the Passat. My only (slight) regret is that they didn't make the trunk bigger. Its bigger than the Jetta's (15.9 vs 15.4), but much shallower. Seems more than 8" shallower. You can stand full size luggage in a Jetta's trunk, but looks like it needs to go on its side in the Passat.

Also the leather seats aren't entirely leather, but leather trim with some sort of velour or suede inserts. Very attractive, comfortable and secure, but with a dog and a 2 year old, I'm also looking at the lower trim level and the synthetic seats.

Last edited:

pogo

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf/02/5spd 230K Passat SE/12/DSG 50K
If we got the Passat it would only be with a TDI. But mostly because tdiclub gives me the confidence that I can do most of the maintenance myself, and at least troubleshoot the bigger stuff, and find skilled TDI mechanics.

For example, I was worried about the DSG because of the rumor of an expensive 40K maintenance but there's already an excellent how to, and I know I'll be able to do it myself, even have a VAG-COM...

One other note, I took the Passat on the highway to get a feel for passing power, and it was roughly equal to my stock Golf. Fast enough for me, but maybe slower than my wife is used to. Only later did I realize that the DSG was in normal mode, not sport mode. Don't know how much of a difference that makes. If anyone else get a chance to drive one on the highway, please let us know the difference.

German_1er_diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 118d
Manual can only be had in this range from my latest conversation and the price sheet emailed me and the VW web site. If you want a manual you have to do without everything else. No sunroof, no nav, no leather seats, no ......
Bet they don't do that in Europe and get away with it.
The only thing that mandates a DSG in Europe is if you want the 170hp TDI with AWD. If you want a manual, it's either stepping down to 140hp/AWD or 170hp/front wheel drive.
Some versions are manual only though: The BlueMotion and the 140hp AWD version.

Dooglas

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta
I'll wait a couple years to see what issues this TDI has before even considering it
This is the same TDI engine as has been delivered in all TDI Jettas, Sportwagens, and Golfs since 2009 so there are really no surprises there.

OILPowered

Veteran Member
TDI
335d (still a TDI, technically)
I saw a new Passat TDI at my local VW dealer (Fladeboe) when I was picking up some G12 coolant on Friday. LARGE car. Dare I say it ? Looked like a blown up Jetta. But was nicely finished. The car didn't have a sticker on it-- I think it was a demo/promotional vehicle. I left my phone in the car and was too lazy to walk back over, or I would have taken pics.

Oberkanone

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Jetta TDI Premium manual "gone"
Window sticker lists mpg as 30 city and 40 highway.
EPA shows 31 city and 43 hwy for mpg, same as VW website.
Why the discrepancy?

Tarbe

Veteran Member
TDI
Touareg and Sportwagon Sold to VW
Window sticker lists mpg as 30 city and 40 highway.
EPA shows 31 city and 43 hwy for mpg, same as VW website.
Why the discrepancy?

DSG vs Manual. For some reason there is a larger delta in mileage between the two with the Passat.

Noticed the 18.5 gallon fuel tank. Nice....

Massracin

TDI
09 Jetta TDI
Was at the dealer this morning, Black TDI SEL. Drop dead gorgeous car. Had a tan interior and was loaded, just under 33k. It is a big car, the backseat legroom is to die for.

I didn't dare get in it as I wouldn't have gotten out without dropping alot of coin.

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
If I could afford and needed a new car then the 2012 VW Passat TDI diesel would be on top of my list right now. Much roomier than my Jetta and almost as good fuel mileage. Though, I would keep my Jetta as my modified "fun" car.

CNGracing

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE MT6
Can't WAIT!!!

Pictures do not do this car any justice. Test drove both the SEL TDI and the SE gasser. Smooth ride and the interior beats out my jetta tdi. I pre-ordered mine last week. I got the TDI manual!!! Nice and basic. Should come with the 1st shipment to dealership sometime in September.

DickSilver

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 B5.5V, 1996 B4V
They haven't said ANYTHING about a Passat wagon in the 2012 lineup. I have two Passat wagons now, a B4 and a B5.5 - I really like the usability of a wagon.....

Dooglas

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta
$27,895 is the base msrp on the Passat TDI w/DSG. All the pricing information is on the Volkswagen website.

oxford_guy

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf '11
I'll bet we're going to see a lot of these on the road soon. Conservative looks have staying power, so long as it isn't ugly like the Camry or Accord. :p Those wanting "swoopy lines" will go for a Sonata, and won't even look at the Passat.;)
I don't think current design trends are yielding appealing results. I really dislike angry/aggressive looks -- the big thing today. I like friendly-looking simple designs like the Lupo 3L. But, my primary concern is a good comfortable ride that soaks up bumps, and the Passat has that. The biggest drawbacks are the climate system which has no rear directional vents and the mandatory sunroof for the DSG TDIs.

Last edited:

abctdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Passat GLS
I think many if not most sedans in this price range don't have rear directional vents. Good thing the front vents are adjustable and cars in general have a small volume. It's reallly not a problem for most, IMHO.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
My daughters don't think that the rear vents in the center console of the JSW really do much anyway. I can't say since I never ride in the back.

oxford_guy

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf '11
They are weak and non-directional, but better than nothing. The vents in the Hyundai Sonata Hybrid are strong and directional.