Indianapolis TDI'ers UNITE!

Would a GTG June 7th or 8th work for everyone?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

VegBug

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 New Beetle
Big thanks to cewall0 for stopping by yesterday and more importantly for the lab supplies! Showed him the Jerry Rig setup and I processed 8.5 gallons. It's washing right now and should be ready Monday.

Yeah I know why didn't I use the new resin towers?! Well I still have to figure out how and where to mount them in oder gravity feed them. May have to come up with a secondary 5 gallon bucket to feed the biodiesel from.

DCELL

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 GOLF 2DR, ‘15 Passat SEL TDI
Brett- I did the jetta's brakes today, so I need to get your brake tool back to you (thank you! thank you! thank you!). If jerry wants to clean his injectors I may borrow that from you when I drop off the brake tool. what time are you usually home in the evenings? or should I just call?
neil

VegBug

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 New Beetle
Neil,

After a little reading I think I'm going to wait and get new nozzles rather than cleaning. Reading that in order to clean the nozzles most are using ultrasonic to clean them. But being that mine are most likely 10 years old they may have worn out and cleaning won't do much. I'll let you know when I get the new ones.

Thanks

Jerry

ps--I may be upgrading the Jerry Rig I to Jerry Rig II , 55 gallon drum. Will be putting up Jerry Rig I for sale maybe.

VegBug

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 New Beetle
No more sources but just in order to stay ahead of my usage going to a larger processor makes sense. Using the Jerry Rig I has been very useful and provided a great deal of learning and confidence building. Think I'll turn Jerry Rig I into a methanol recovery unit.

Think this time for the drain I'm going to use the kitchen sink drain and just reduce the 1 1/4 " down pip to 3/4" and I should be good! No welding needed, I hope.

Jerry

Last edited:

DCELL

Veteran Member
TDI
CewallO- any luck yet? keep us posted man! Anything I can do to help let me know!

DCELL

Veteran Member
TDI
Has anyone talked to Fyrsail? I hope all is well on the rig- at least I hope it was in good enough shape after the storms to go back to work!

DCELL

Veteran Member
TDI
if anyone is interested (I know it's a long way to go just for dinner and chat) I'm hoping to make the trip to south bend to hang out with the n. indiana guys. I've been up there several times and they are great guys to know with a lot of fun mods. If anyone wants to go, let me know!

from the indiana people thread:

Monday October 13th at 6:30pm Eastern Time - Michiana dinner GTG at:

TGI Friday's
1240 E. Ireland Rd.
South Bend, IN 46614

fyrsail

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 DSG golf- wife stole it
not good for my rig

Hey dcell im still on standby awaiting a USCG variance to return to what we used to call a rig now we refer to it as a bunch of twisted metal. They are hoping to have us out by mid oct to start rebuilding our systems and get it running again. give me a call.. im bored.....

DCELL said:
Has anyone talked to Fyrsail? I hope all is well on the rig- at least I hope it was in good enough shape after the storms to go back to work!

fyrsail

Veteran Member
TDI
The Bud Reactor

Well hello to all of you and thank you all for your concerns about storm damage. Today I begin to build the bud reactor and will be assembled and processing by hopefully next week. those interested give me a call.

VegBug

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 New Beetle
Excellent! Let me know when your planning on firing it up, want to be there for the inaugural process.

I've got 11 gallons of processed BD settling right now that I plan on running through the resin tower(s) tonight. Haven't plumbed it to the processor yet but I figured I would test by hand pouring some it and see what happens. DCELL pointed towards a guy selling some 55 gallon drums, with bands & lids, that I will contacting to get one to create my Jerry Rig II.

Any word on the Penn Station deal?

Jerry

DCELL

Veteran Member
TDI
Frank- I thought about stopping by your house on sunday, I dropped brett's brake tool off at his place. If I would have known you were around I would have stopped. I'm off this weekend I think if you want any help.

A word about oil- I saw some used cooking oil listed on indy freecycle a couple of days ago. I emailed and the lady said it was spoken for about 3 minutes after she placed the ad. I'm thinking that around Thanksgiving/ Christmas (turkey fryin' time) it would be good to place some wanted ads for used oil, and see how many responses come through... 5 gallons at a time, but it could turn out to be a lot!

cewall0

TDI
2000 Jetta
Update on my non-starting issues

Hi all. Well, Frank and Neil asked around and thought it was a timing belt issue keeping me from firing up. We thought the fuel pump was off a notch or two. So, I was going to move the fuel pump a few notches one way and then the other. Well, I spent one afternoon last week turning the fuel pump one notch at a time on the timing belt and trying to start. I think I went a little more than all the way around and still had no luck. Now, I'm afraid the fuel pump is nowhere near where it needs to be. So, I'll probably see if I can't find TDC and put the fuel pump back where it needs to be. Arrrgh!

On another front, I've received some parts-new seat belts, air bag control module, air bag sensors, etc. that I'm beginning to swap out. We'll see if that takes care of some of those codes I was dealing with.

DCELL

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm sorry to hear that! I was hoping you'd say you had it ready to rock!
Let me know when you are ready to re-set the airbags and seat belt computer codes. Hopefully the new airbag module will at least take care of those saved codes that I couldn't clear last time. ARRRGH!

fyrsail

Veteran Member
TDI
TDC on pump

Chad I finally have my TB tools and we can easily find TDC on the fuel pump by just inserting the pin in the hole, I will try to clear some time this week to come up.......

cewall0 said:
Hi all. Well, Frank and Neil asked around and thought it was a timing belt issue keeping me from firing up. We thought the fuel pump was off a notch or two. So, I was going to move the fuel pump a few notches one way and then the other. Well, I spent one afternoon last week turning the fuel pump one notch at a time on the timing belt and trying to start. I think I went a little more than all the way around and still had no luck. Now, I'm afraid the fuel pump is nowhere near where it needs to be. So, I'll probably see if I can't find TDC and put the fuel pump back where it needs to be. Arrrgh!

On another front, I've received some parts-new seat belts, air bag control module, air bag sensors, etc. that I'm beginning to swap out. We'll see if that takes care of some of those codes I was dealing with.

cewall0

TDI
2000 Jetta
Tdc

That would be awesome Frank. Let me know when you're available. I'm hoping to get to work on these seat belts, air bags, and sensors tomorrow night (Wed.).

DCELL

Veteran Member
TDI
this thread died off quick...
I'm planning to head to south bend to hang out with my old tdi friends up there on Monday night. I know it makes for a long night, but if anyone wants to go hang out for a while, let me know! Monday october 13, 6:30pm

VegBug

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 New Beetle
I'm working on a couple of things to try and get a possible tour set up of a biodiesel plant for a future GTG. More to come as I find out.

Jerry

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
DCELL said:
this thread died off quick...
I'm planning to head to south bend to hang out with my old tdi friends up there on Monday night. I know it makes for a long night, but if anyone wants to go hang out for a while, let me know! Monday october 13, 6:30pm
Neil,

Unfortunely from what I see posted by Indy people in this thread most of the activity/interest revolves around making your own fuel. I see very little mention of maintenance and modification projects but perhaps it doesn't get posted for whatever reason. I do see posts by cewall0 regarding the resurrection of a wreck damaged TDI and recently found out he is related to crummie (a good friend of mine) who lives up here in Michiana. You seem to be the only one dedicated enough to make the trek up here for dinner/TDI talk but I'd certainly welcome seeing any others from the Indy area come up! One doesn't have to be a "regular" to attend these dinners as I understand we all have other things going on in our lives too. Heck, I took the summer off from organizing these dinner GTG's!

So any Indy area TDI'ers reading this rest assured you'd be welcome to join us in Michiana for dinner whether it is this month or another time! :) I'm sure Neil would be happy to give you more information or you can send me a PM as well.

Robert

wiltech

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Beetle
Any info on who to have service a TDI in Lafayette/Indy? I have the ability and facilities to do most if not all of the work myself, just not the time.

Any horror stories on the dealers in this area ?

Thanks
Tony W

VegBug

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 New Beetle
Tony,

There's a guy just south of GreenWood that has a pretty good reputation. Jeff's Volkswagen Repair (Jeff Fletcher) 10463 N. Kitchen road, Mooresville, IN 46158 317-834-6424.

Good luck

Jerry

VegBug

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 New Beetle
DCELL,

You have big taps to rethread a 2" and a 1" NPT "T"? I'm trying to build an inline heater using black pipe and a water heater element. The water heater threads are straight and don't screw in very well with the black pipe.

Thanks

JErry

DCELL

Veteran Member
TDI
VEG- you have nps "straight" fittings. npt "tapered" will not screw into them. There are no adapters that I have ever found that interlace the two. Unfortunately, it would take a machine shop, and I do not own any taps.

WILTEC- If you don't care how long it takes, take it to walter's import at 25/new 231 , you will see a huge chainlink fence and hundreds of old vw's. It usually takes him a few days, but andy and walter are real germans and they do good work. Also- I worked at Raisor's VW for 5 years through school. I can personally vouch for them, but they do charge standard dealership shop rates.

What do you need done? If you want me to look at it, I'd be happy to. I'm not so good in the facilities dept, but I have lots of time!

wiltech

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Beetle
DCELL said:
WILTEC- If you don't care how long it takes, take it to walter's import at 25/new 231 , you will see a huge chainlink fence and hundreds of old vw's. It usually takes him a few days, but andy and walter are real germans and they do good work. Also- I worked at Raisor's VW for 5 years through school. I can personally vouch for them, but they do charge standard dealership shop rates.
Yeah I know where Walters is, I've lived in Lafayette all my life, and now I'm working in Carmel. Lately I've been using Tom Wood for all my general maintenance. They did the TB & water pump shortly after i bought the car.

Thanks
Tony W

DCELL

Veteran Member
TDI
tony- me too, now i live in noblesville. I lived near walters in shadeland for the first 18 years of my life, and I go back frequently. If you need anything, look me up, I'm only 15 minutes from carmel!

wiltech

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Beetle
Ahhh Shadeland ... home of Bedrock Liquors ;)

Yeah I need to get my car vag-com'd to try and get rid of the CEL now that I've replaced my glow plug harness.

It would be nice if, since the replacement harness has a connector on it (that you have to cut off) if you could buy the other side of the harness and splice that on ONCE and never have to splice again, those wires are short on there :(

DCELL

Veteran Member
TDI
I can re-set that cel if you want. I have heard of some guys buying both ends of a generic connector, so they can just solder on a new connector next time they change. I've been lucky, only had to replace plugs so far, never the whole harness.

wiltech

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Beetle
DCELL said:
I can re-set that cel if you want. I have heard of some guys buying both ends of a generic connector, so they can just solder on a new connector next time they change. I've been lucky, only had to replace plugs so far, never the whole harness.
So far in an attempt to get rid of the CEL, the relay and plugs were replaced by a shop in Lafayette.

Last winter when my window clips broke, and Raisor said it was still covered under warranty/TSB but they didn't have any kits nor did they know when they'd come in. Sounds like they just didn't want the work, as I ordered the parts from World Impex and had them within the week. I just ordered the GP harness along with the window regulator kit... and I replaced the harness this spring...

Thanks I still have your # in my PM box here, will you be available thursday this week after 6:00pm ?

Thanks
Tony W