Mileage and a link for Mpls-St. Paul fest participants to Montreal

vikingrob

Veteran Member
TDI
2021 Tesla Model 3 (delivery estimate May 2021)
I plan to go. I'm wondering if we should enter Canada at Sault Ste. Marie, Port Huron, Detroit, Buffalo, or Thousand Islands....

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
Pardon me for jumping in here.

But from where you are, Woodbury, MI your best for making time would be to go via Lansing, Flint and then Port Huron/Sarnia. Its 4 or more lanes all the way except maybe in Michigan. On the Canadian side pick up Hwy 402 to its end where it joins into Hwy 401. Take the 401 all the way to the Quebec line. From there take Hwy 20 and then either Hwy 20 or Hwy 40 to Montreal, depending where you are going.

By the time you get to Hwy 401 you may need fuel and the least expensive will be at Exit 189 on the 401 near London, which is the Flying-J truck stop. Also Exit 195 there is a Husky truck stop which has good prices for Diesel. Today both are at 0.80 cents/litre. The next Flying-J is at Exit 579 (Napanee), today 0.81 cents/litre. Husky near Kingston at Exit 632 today is 0.81 cents/litre.

More than 1160 km or 720 miles distance from Woodbury to Montreal.

Diesel is less expensive in Ontario than it is in Quebec, and the Flying-J or Husky is one of the least expensive at any time. 4 litres equal 1.05 US gallon. Ontario Diesel prices today, Nov 9th range between 0.79 - 1.05 litre.
The only Quebec price for Diesel I could find is 0.89 cents/litre.

I also want to let you know that going through Toronto take the EXPRESS lanes, but try to avoid the morning ( 7 - 9:30 am ) or afternoon ( 3:00 - 6:00 pm) rush hours. Heavy traffic starts from Kitchener about 60 miles west of Toronto in the morning going into Toronto.

One other point I would like to make, in Ontario the OPP ( Highway police ) use Radar detector/detectors. If you drive at 118km/h or about 73 mp/h on the 401 it is highly unlikely that you will have problems, lots of people go faster than that. Do not know about Quebec.

BTW going via Sault Ste Marie adds 250 miles to the trip and the highways will be mostly 2 lanes so it will take you quite a bit longer, but it would be more scenic. I would not suggest that route in the winter.

Safe driving.

scurvy

Good Ol' Boy
TDI
2006 Golf
vikingrob said:
I plan to go. I'm wondering if we should enter Canada at Sault Ste. Marie, Port Huron, Detroit, Buffalo, or Thousand Islands....
Having gone through both Detroit & Port Huron recently, the Port Huron crossing was much much faster and easier.

There's also some excellent canola B20 at the Truck Town Terminals just west of Hogtown. Highly recommended.

scurvy

vikingrob

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta_Pilot said:
Pardon me for jumping in here.

But from where you are, Woodbury, MI your best for making time would be to go via Lansing, Flint and then Port Huron/Sarnia. Its 4 or more lanes all the way except maybe in Michigan. On the Canadian side pick up Hwy 402 to its end where it joins into Hwy 401. Take the 401 all the way to the Quebec line. From there take Hwy 20 and then either Hwy 20 or Hwy 40 to Montreal, depending where you are going.

By the time you get to Hwy 401 you may need fuel and the least expensive will be at Exit 189 on the 401 near London, which is the Flying-J truck stop. Also Exit 195 there is a Husky truck stop which has good prices for Diesel. Today both are at 0.80 cents/litre. The next Flying-J is at Exit 579 (Napanee), today 0.81 cents/litre. Husky near Kingston at Exit 632 today is 0.81 cents/litre.

More than 1160 km or 720 miles distance from Woodbury to Montreal.

Diesel is less expensive in Ontario than it is in Quebec, and the Flying-J or Husky is one of the least expensive at any time. 4 litres equal 1.05 US gallon. Ontario Diesel prices today, Nov 9th range between 0.79 - 1.05 litre.
The only Quebec price for Diesel I could find is 0.89 cents/litre.

I also want to let you know that going through Toronto take the EXPRESS lanes, but try to avoid the morning ( 7 - 9:30 am ) or afternoon ( 3:00 - 6:00 pm) rush hours. Heavy traffic starts from Kitchener about 60 miles west of Toronto in the morning going into Toronto.

One other point I would like to make, in Ontario the OPP ( Highway police ) use Radar detector/detectors. If you drive at 118km/h or about 73 mp/h on the 401 it is highly unlikely that you will have problems, lots of people go faster than that. Do not know about Quebec.

BTW going via Sault Ste Marie adds 250 miles to the trip and the highways will be mostly 2 lanes so it will take you quite a bit longer, but it would be more scenic. I would not suggest that route in the winter.

Safe driving.
For one, this is over Labor Day weekend.

Second, if we go by way of the Port Huron crossing (using I-69 to bypass the Detroit area), the midpoint of the trip would be in the Lansing area. There's a Flying J in that area, currently at $2.609 a gallon, which works out to C77.8¢ per liter at current exchange rates. Total distance is about 1236 miles.

Route 66

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 VW
Another option is to take the ferry across from Manitowoc Wisconsin and pick up cheese curds along the way.

vikingrob

Veteran Member
TDI
Bookworm said:
Another option is to take the ferry across from Manitowoc Wisconsin and pick up cheese curds along the way.
One car and one adult going one way was over $100 for the 2006 season.

Farmboy

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Golf SE TDI 6spd 109k miles; '00 A4 NB 5spd 216k; '96 B4 Passat Sedan 220k
Only $100 for a cruise, that's a heckuva deal . . .

Seriously, though, if I manage to go to this, which I'd like to do, I'm happy to caravan (or ride) along any path that is selected . . . I trust the homework you guys do . . .

I tend to do other things over the week of Labor Day, so I'm kind of a long shot, anyway . . .

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
greengeeker said:
My wife and I are going to road trip the week leading up to the fest. On our way back we'll do the Canada route.
Right, well this isn't happening anymore as my wife will be nearly due when the fest happens. Don't really want to risk living that nightmare.