Seat Covers for '14 TDISEL

Dynodon

TDI
Passat SEL
Honest, I could not find a "search" feature, so I am posting this! :eek: update: found search feature, I switched e-mails, and that must have turned off that feature till I replied to the confirmation e-mail, please help with the questions below if you can, meantime, I will do a search.

The cloth like insert on my very light cream seats is discolored, and VW won't do anything about it. To protect the passenger side, and prevent the drivers side from getting worse, I want some decent seat covers. What bothers me is I can't find some that say they fit the SEL, and is that the only model with the seat airbags? I don't want covers that mean the seat airbags won't work.

Anyone have covers that they like, and where did you get them?

Thanks for any help/advice you can give.
Don

mishkaya

TDIClub Contributor
TDI
'06 Jetta 5MT, '10 JSW MT, '14 JSW 6MT
I have the Wet Okole seat covers in the Passat as well, and love them.
Just a helpful hint that the only color that is easy to keep clean is black. The tan is a very good match, but is almost impossible (at least for me) to keep clean.

Mark SF

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDi
Can't say I'm surprised that VW wouldn't clean your seats for you. What were you expecting? A 3 year no-get-dirty warranty?

jck66

Top Post Dawg
TDI
12 Passat SE / 14 BMW 535d
Those stupid seat inserts were one of the primary reasons we went with an SE car instead of SEL. They looked like they would be dirty very quickly. Good luck with your search; please let us know how you make out?

jjblbi

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SEL TDI
If I am not mistaken the inserts are synthetic leather, Dinamica. A sales brochure states they have recycled plastic (milk jugs) as part content. Have you followed VW's recommended cleaning procedure (sorry I don't have my manual handy)?

I just did a quick goggle search:

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forum...ow-to-clean-VW-Dinamica-inserts-leather-seats. Google also returned various related forum threads.

Good luck, John

jdyno718

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 VW Passat SE Manual
I have a Passat SE (manual) it has the fake leather. I am not familiar with the longevity of this material so I ordered a set of these http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BTLEIIY/ref=s9_dcbhz_bw_d0_g263_i1_sh
They are compatible with in seat airbags.

They are a one size fits all type cover and can honestly say they are sweet! they actually fit the seat quite well too. I have had them for over a year and they show no signs of wear. They are only $40 shipped for the entire car too! I was considering a more expensive custom seat cover that was going to cost around $550 for the entire car and am so glad I ordered these instead. This company offers many types of color and fabric combos too.

Josh

Mark SF

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDi
I had a Citroen where the entire seat upholstery was Dinamica (actually Alcantara, but the same stuff). It's just about the best interior fabric there is. Unbelievably tough. I used to transport by Rottweiler on the back seat. Not a hint of wear. It did get dirty, but cleaned up beautifully.

You could clean it with anything from a damp cloth, through spray upholstery cleaner, to a Rug Doctor type vacuum with upholstery attachment.

Putting seat covers over it because it gets dirty is ridiculous.

hhead

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat Tdi SEL premium
I have the Wet Okole seat covers in the Passat as well, and love them.
Just a helpful hint that the only color that is easy to keep clean is black. The tan is a very good match, but is almost impossible (at least for me) to keep clean.
I ordered mines last month from them. When I went to have them installed and inspected them, the pattern is wrong!
The center inserts go all the up the center of the seat. I informed them they have the wrong pattern, as the Passat seats are bucket type. With the center section NOT going all the way up the center of the seat. The pattern they had was wrong.
They called to say they redid them and that they are in. I won't be back in town for three weeks, so I'll see when I get back.
Did your pattern match the seats? As in the middle sections DON'T go all the way up the center. And are patterned after bucket seats?
And when I said I now wanted front and back, because they matched the color real close. They said they don't have a bucket seat pattern for the rears. Just the same incorrect ones for the front. Sad to say, I only ordered the fronts.

Last edited:

mishkaya

TDIClub Contributor
TDI
I ordered mines last month from them. When I went to have them installed and inspected them, the pattern is wrong!
The center inserts go all the up the center of the seat. I informed them they have the wrong pattern, as the Passat seats are bucket type. With the center section NOT going all the way up the center of the seat. The pattern they had was wrong.
They called to say they redid them and that they are in. I won't be back in town for three weeks, so I'll see when I get back.
Did your pattern match the seats? As in the middle sections DON'T go all the way up the center. And are patterned after bucket seats?
And when I said I now wanted front and back, because they matched the color real close. They said they don't have a bucket seat pattern for the rears. Just the same incorrect ones for the front. Sad to say, I only ordered the fronts.
I guess you could say the pattern is wrong as the center section goes all the way up on my seat covers. However this is what I was expecting as it is what their pictures show; and since the seat covers hide the original pattern, no one will be any wiser.

hhead

Veteran Member
TDI
:) OCD at it's best.
I saw a Corvette seat in the showroom, with the bucket pattern, and they were REALLY nice.
They did research, and said the Jetta seats were the right pattern. But the Jetta rears, wouldn't fit the Passat. Also the rear covers, wouldn't let me use the center locking cubby to get in the trunk. It would be closed off. :(
I hope the new pattern fits.

mishkaya

TDIClub Contributor
TDI
:) OCD at it's best.
I saw a Corvette seat in the showroom, with the bucket pattern, and they were REALLY nice.
They did research, and said the Jetta seats were the right pattern. But the Jetta rears, wouldn't fit the Passat. Also the rear covers, wouldn't let me use the center locking cubby to get in the trunk. It would be closed off. :(
I hope the new pattern fits.
I can only assume that the rear center console issue is because of the pattern. While I don't have the Passat handy to check, I am quite certain that it is accessible on that car. It wasn't on the Jetta for me however...

hhead

Veteran Member
TDI
They said it was the rear of the seats. That it was a one piece for the 60%, and one piece for the 40%. They couldn't cut the hole for the cubby, and keep the integrity of shape or something like that. Keeping it tight against the seat. The arm rest works normally, they just didn't have the cubby hole cut.
Not that I use the cubby to get in trunk, but that thing in me wants it to be exact!
I've got WetOkole on both my trucks, and they are best fitting covers I've seen yet. And the customer service is great.

Edit: you're right. She might have been talking about the Jetta rears for the Passat.

Last edited:

Dynodon

TDI
Passat SEL
Can't say I'm surprised that VW wouldn't clean your seats for you. What were you expecting? A 3 year no-get-dirty warranty?
Well, this happened within 6 months of buying the car, have been fighting this ever since. So it's not like I didn't try cleaning it myself, and the Peoria dealer has tried everything they have to clean it, the color is several shades darker than the original cloth, and leather.

They blame it on wearing jeans, but I never wore new jeans, only old ones that have been washed many times, so yes, I CAN expect VW to fix this problem and the car is still under warranty.

hhead

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes my seats got discolored also. I did try a little soap and water to see if it came clean. It didn't clean with just the dab I was doing. I didn't want to ruin the seat with an incorrect cleaner.
But later, when I decided to really take a look at it, it came clean with a more thorough washing. I used laundry detergent. Washed, and then wiped clean with a wet towel. Back to as new!
I just think you need to get more aggressive with the detergent used.