RNS510 firmware update stuck on step 5

herbert68

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium, 2010 Jetta TDI Sedan. Both bought back by VW on 12/06/2016
I successfully downloaded the 3 files (THANK YOU RAY!) and burned 2 CDs and one DL DVD. Went to the car and following the steps in the instructions I inserted the Firmware update CD. As expected I got to the error "Check CD/DVD", didn't touch anything and waited ... and waited ... nothing happened, the error didn't go away ... after about 10 minutes I hit "OK" and ejected the CD. I tried several times again, using both the VIM Unlock and Firmware CD, but with both CDs I never got beyond the error message "Check CD/DVD".

Should I simply wait a bit longer? I'm not sure what else I could try to get beyond step 5.

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
I successfully downloaded the 3 files (THANK YOU RAY!) and burned 2 CDs and one DL DVD. Went to the car and following the steps in the instructions I inserted the Firmware update CD. As expected I got to the error "Check CD/DVD", didn't touch anything and waited ... and waited ... nothing happened, the error didn't go away ... after about 10 minutes I hit "OK" and ejected the CD. I tried several times again, using both the VIM Unlock and Firmware CD, but with both CDs I never got beyond the error message "Check CD/DVD".

Should I simply wait a bit longer? I'm not sure what else I could try to get beyond step 5.
Did you just burn the files to disc, or burn image to disc. The files are ISO's, or Disc images. If you did it correctly, you should be able to put the discs in your PC, and see files on them, not just the one file you downloaded.

If you have a MAC, here are instructions...

http://www.oit.umass.edu/support/computer-classrooms/burn-a-dmg-or-iso-file-disk-macintosh

If you are using a PC, download and install ImgBurn. It is free. Use the "Write Image file to Disc" option.

herbert68

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium, 2010 Jetta TDI Sedan. Both bought back by VW on 12/06/2016
Did you just burn the files to disc, or burn image to disc. The files are ISO's, or Disc images. If you did it correctly, you should be able to put the discs in your PC, and see files on them, not just the one file you downloaded.

If you have a MAC, here are instructions...

http://www.oit.umass.edu/support/computer-classrooms/burn-a-dmg-or-iso-file-disk-macintosh

If you are using a PC, download and install ImgBurn. It is free. Use the "Write Image file to Disc" option.

Thank you so much!

[note to myself: and I thought I know computer stuff...]

Yes, I did burn the ISO files to disk. I'm a Mac person and this is a rare occasion I encounter ISO files for burning, so the link you shared was very helpful. I just burned the VIM UNLOCK disk, I can see the files on the top level and I'll try to install later this evening. Should work now! Thank you!!!

:)

UPDATE: The VIM update worked just fine! Now on to the next ones. I guess I may have to repeat the VIM unlock again after the firmware update?

Last edited:

herbert68

Veteran Member
TDI
Success! The firmware update went without a hitch! Actually it took just 31 minutes to complete. Everything works fine and the interface feels a bit more responsive, not much, just noticeable better.

I had to re-pair my phone and re-enter all settings, shortcuts and such, but all is good! I plan to do the map update over the weekend.

Thanks again for all your help LokiWolf!!!