'05 BHW Door Mouldings and Transmission

goody705

TDI
'05 Passat TDI Wagon
I've got a 2005 Passat TDI Wagon and have run into a few issues.
I bought it in 2012 with 82k (km's), now up to 130k.

This site helped me replace the front axles, do the rear brakes and i'm doing some body work and the door switch replacement now.

I'm fixing rust spots around the fenders and have paint blisters under the moulding on the outside of the door. I've seen MOGolf's chrome piece replacement, but I'm wondering if anyone has removed the piece entirely and finished the body underneath? Anyone foresee any issues?

Due to the door switch issue and no headlight chime, ran my battery wayy down a few weeks ago. No turn, just flashing dash lights.
After boosting, the 'Tiptronic' would only upshift, not down and now will not do anything.

My buddy brought his diagnostic tool, didn't report any issues.

Thanks for your time.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
Why are you fixing the rust? Your car has a transferable 12 year rust through warranty. Take it to a dealer.

peiphil

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 passat GLS TDI and big old Dodge Cummins TDI
This is true ^^^
Hope you didn't put in after market axels and if you did get your old ones back asap
You should read on here more!

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
If you touched the rust in any way (paint it, did some body work) VW will decline the warranty. So if you haven't done anything to it then don't start now.

goody705

TDI
'05 Passat TDI Wagon
Oh man.
Didn't keep the axles, why should i have kept the originals?
Only touched one portion at a wheel well where the rust went under a piece of 3M plastic. Just sand and primer.
Took it to the dealer to look at the transmission today, they did a reset to no result, quoted $92 for magnets, $450 for circuit board, +$150 labour.
No charge for today's checkup though.
Appreciate your insight, will try to read more thoroughly in the future.

goody705

TDI
'05 Passat TDI Wagon
The dealer looked at the rust today and took photos.
Likely SOL where i touched, but hopefully they can fix the doors.
I feel like a flippin' tool.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
...Didn't keep the axles, why should i have kept the originals?...
Just in case you replaced the OEMs with Chinesium. These axles are relatively easy to remove/rebuild/replace. Just put one in my Passat today. Took less than two hours including having to drill out and retap a broken rotor retaining screw. It should take about an hour to clean up and put a new boot on the old one so I'll have a spare.

Have a look here: www.raxles.com

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
You do realize that you don't need that small screw to install the rotors, right? They are there to make assembly in the factory easier by aligning the bolt holes between the rotor and the hub. No real need or worry if it snaps. Just line it up by eye and that's it. :)