Vacuum pump/coolant flange replacement?

thetonestarr

TDI
1998 Jetta (RIP), 2004 Passat
I have a 2004 Passat TDI. Vacuum pump is leaking oil, caused issues with nearby coolant flange. Both are deemed to need replaced.

Mechanic wants to charge $1100 for the parts + labor.

Both parts off of WorldImpex will run me $320-$400, depending on which specific ones I go with and if I get charged tax, etc.

So, it's clearly financially a much better idea for me to do the work myself. I'm decently experienced with intermediate mechanic work (on a scale of beginner-intermediate-advanced-expert) on VWs*, but I've never worked on this car at all yet (only recently bought it). Additionally, I don't have an enormous amount of time to work on it - it would HAVE to be something someone with my skill-level would be able to finish in a single day of work with distractions (young children, wife needs help, etc).

So my question is - based on the information I've provided here, is it worth it for me to do the work myself? I mean, that $700+ is screaming to me that yes, yes it is, but I don't want to get myself into a hole.

*I've replaced the master cylinder and inner & outer fuel pumps on a '90 Jetta GLI, I've changed disc and drum brakes on a variety of vehicles, etc.

thetonestarr

TDI
1998 Jetta (RIP), 2004 Passat
All of the tools you recommended, if I don't have them already, I am looking to acquire, so that's not an issue but I will absolutely have them handy.

Manual dexterity isn't too big an issue - I feel like I'm fairly capable. I'm a smaller guy with about average-sized hands, so space shouldn't be a concern.

Any recommended guides for this process?

Chrismak

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Pasatt TDI , 2008 Mercdes E-320 Bluetec, 1983 300D mercedes (Sold :-(
Here is a how to from site.
http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/3419/BHW_Tandem_Pump_Replacement.pdf
I have tranny out for 5 speed swap and this is on my to do list.
I have the gasket and noticed a raised side and a little blue paint marking on one side. Can this only go on one way.
I mean with orientation is there a front and back.
Found my answer

Last edited: