Sun Shade Dilemma

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
Ok, here's a lame question for ya. Anybody have a source for a proper fitting windshield sun shade for an A4 Golf that doesn't have a tropical scene or 'CALL POLICE', etc. printed on it??? I have tried a couple, including buying an oversized one and cutting it to shape and... I am tired of coming out to the car only to find the #$%& thing has fallen down. Everything I've tried is either too short leaving dash exposed or too wide, requiring trimming, or just the totally wrong profile to fit nicely and stay put. Despite tucking the thing in under the headliner (causing pooches), they just don't like to stay up (a gravity thing no doubt). I've had to resort to trapping my current one w/my visors to keep it in place. I've checked VW Drivers Gear and nothing's listed. There must be one custom cut for our Golfs out there somewhere... Anybody?

lesd

Veteran Member
I use a Costco 'jumbo' fold up, but I cut the middle two folds out to make it fit. It has suction cups on the top corners, held for a week once, while I was on vacation.
-Les

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
There are some sunshades that are basically nylon stretched over a thin metal band that fold up to a small 8-12-inch circle. They fit nicely and can generally conform to an odd shape.

I think most places sell these.

A

azbioguy

I bought one for my old Altima from this place:
Wooddash.com

It fit great and was pretty heavy duty, but they are expensive. It rolled up and secured with velcro when you wanted to put it away. I bought a jumbo sized generic one from Pep Boys for my Golf. It fits very well if I fold the sides in.

Chameleon

Veteran Member
I bought my sunshade from Walmart - $6.

Covers the windshield and dash fine.

It has a plain reflective finish with no pictures or any messages.

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
Thanks... The sunshade at www.wooddash.com is made by Intro Tech. A bit of searching brought the price down to $29.95. One Nissan specialty house had the Nisson version for $22.00, I will query them to see if they can supply a VW version.

I am just looking for one that fits properly. The 'generic' ones I have tried are either too wide/tall, not tall enough, rear view mirror slot too shallow and impedes you from taking it all the way up, slope of the top portion incorrect so it is high at the center, low and exposing window at the r/l ends, etc, etc, etc. Trimming them is fine but you bugger the 'binding' at the edges expose the layers for seperation. You may see this as trivial but... I've seen guys here spend hours upon hours and mega bux on stuff that is of questionable value for sure. My Golf deserves the best and I just want something that looks like it was designed for it and fits well without falling down every 10 minutes. Keep the suggestions coming...

P.S. How does the 'CALL POLICE' one work anyways? Do you erect it in the process of being 'jacked' or assaulted in your car? Most criminals aren't MIT graduates but asking one to 'wait a sec while I put up my sunshade' doesn't quite seem like an effective defense. Maybe these are the same people that invented the pet rock or chia pet...