RNS-510 Fan running

bigred 7.3l

TDI
'13 SEL Prem Night Blue on Black
I have looked at several RNS-510 posts but can't find what I am looking for. I have a fan noise that comes from the RNS-510 when the interior of the car is hot. Even when the car has been off for hours but sitting out side in the heat. Is this what it sounds like and OK or is there something else that would be making this noise?

Example: I parked the car out side the office this morning at 7am. Got in it to go back to the hotel and noticed the fan noise before I did anything else, prior to starting the car. Noticed this the other night at home also while car was in the garage.

Thermo1223

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Jetta 5M-'04 JW A5
Well it is a box full of electronics, just like any other computer it needs to stay within certain temp limits.

bigred 7.3l

TDI
No doubt. I am sure it generates heat and captures heat even when it is not on for hours. Just want to confirm that is correct procedure or do I need to get it addressed at VW? New owner jitters I guess...

burdundi

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
I live/work north of Atlanta and park it in the sun 95+ degrees and its black on black. No fan noise here. I would call VW service. Sounds like its easy to reproduce.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
09 Jetta sedan rns-510 fan ran quite frequently. Ditto our 2012 passat. You have to be very quiet to hear it, as it's very faint.
I've never heard the fan come on unless the unit is or was operating.

vw_norm

Gone, but not forgotten.
TDI
2012 NMS TDI SEL Platinum Gray w/moonrock
When I was installing the RVC, the fan came on, even with the radio sitting on the console, all plugged in, upside down. If you enter the service mode by holding the setup button for about 30 seconds, you can see the different temperatures within the radio unit for CPU, HDD, etc. It is a rather small fan ~ 30 mm, and pretty quiet at that.

bigred 7.3l

TDI
Unless I hear different I am going to "drive more, worry less". The car has 400 miles on it. If the RNS is going to quit, now's the time. If it does not I will have it looked at during the 90 day service. Thanks for the info.

bigred 7.3l

TDI
I assume it is the fan. I drove with the windows down and sunroof open Sunday evening just to try them out and make sure everything was working for the first time. It was 102*. I pulled into the garage and closed everything up. Garage was around 96*. While getting out heard a hum from the area of the RNS. Figured it was a fan to cool the unit and would shut off. Came back out an hour or so later and still heard same sound. Car was hot on the inside from the heat out side. I decided to take it for a spin (just want to drive it if you know what I mean) and ran the AC to cool down interior. Put back in garage, same sound. Came back out and sound/fan was off. Full details. I will let it go and see what happens.